Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cairns: What to do??

Cairns: What to do??

Old Sep 16th 2009, 8:31 am
Just Joined

bowd66 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Cairns: What to do??

Hi we have our visas and have to validate them by next April, we want to move to Cairns but are very unsure if we should go.
The wife is a nurse and I am unemployed (3 months now), so we are really unsettled at the moment.
I am unskilled but can turn my hands to anything and as I said the wife is a General Nurse (RGN) so do you think one of us would get work.
So if anyone has any advice we would love to hear from you.

Thanks Eddie
Old Sep 16th 2009, 9:16 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cairns: What to do??

Your wife will have no problem getting work. There are stacks of Nurses on here and a fair few who nurse in Cairns and surrounding areas. You may have more problems but if you are worried about moving during the current economic climate, then just validate, come over, put out feelers, explore the area then go back and wait until you think it's a better time.

Good luck.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 2:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Hi!
I am a nurse & live in cairns. I know that currently the Base hospital are not recruiting widely but they do have advertised vacancies & if you have pr, you are ina much stronger position than if you want sponsorship.
I can pm you the admin person if you would like.
What do you do?
Any questions, please feel free to ask & I will do my best to help.
Sallyx
Old Sep 16th 2009, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

rocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to behold

I'm skilled and living in Cairns, been trying to get any work in construction for last 3 to 4 months doing anything as I cant get my licenses to do my trade and not even an interview, but I do get told I'm too old at 38
Old Sep 16th 2009, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

rocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Hi!
I am a nurse & live in cairns. I know that currently the Base hospital are not recruiting widely but they do have advertised vacancies & if you have pr, you are ina much stronger position than if you want sponsorship.
I can pm you the admin person if you would like.
What do you do?
Any questions, please feel free to ask & I will do my best to help.
Sallyx

Sally do you do any work with nearly 15000 posts lol
Old Sep 17th 2009, 8:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rocket01
Sally do you do any work with nearly 15000 posts lol
I never look at the post count! Too scary!
I'm not big on housework, I would have to admit but I do work full-time. Where there's a will etc...
Old Sep 17th 2009, 8:50 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

No wonder your post count is that high. You repeat yourself about seven times I think I might delete some and just leave you with one perhaps

Last edited by moneypenny20; Sep 17th 2009 at 8:52 am. Reason: Can't count.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
No wonder your post count is that high. You repeat yourself about seven times I think I might delete some and just leave you with one perhaps
Don't know what the heck happened there but could you sort it out MP as I can't get back into any of the posts to delete them!
Old Sep 17th 2009, 8:57 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know what the heck happened there but could you sort it out MP as I can't get back into any of the posts to delete them!
7 posts in one minute...jeez, you some sort of speed demon?
Attached Images  
Old Sep 17th 2009, 9:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by The Bloke
7 posts in one minute...jeez, you some sort of speed demon?
My computer went a bit funny, I ended up having to restart it, so really not sure what happened.

Thanks for sorting it out MP!
Old Sep 17th 2009, 9:22 am
Crazy Cat Lady

My computer went a bit funny, I ended up having to restart it, so really not sure what happened.

Thanks for sorting it out MP!
Made me chuckle that it happened when you were explaining about your post count
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

MichPayne has a spectacular aura aboutMichPayne has a spectacular aura aboutMichPayne has a spectacular aura about

I have just got a job as a nurse and my husband, Andy, is in IT, Im not sure what the job markets like for the profession?? He has his own mobile IT repair business over here, Im wondering if there's a chance to do it in Cairns.

Where moving over in Feb, does anyone know anything about Holloways Beach as a suburb to live in????

Ta

Mich
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 2:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MichPayne
I have just got a job as a nurse and my husband, Andy, is in IT, Im not sure what the job markets like for the profession?? He has his own mobile IT repair business over here, Im wondering if there's a chance to do it in Cairns.

Where moving over in Feb, does anyone know anything about Holloways Beach as a suburb to live in????

Ta

Mich
Hi!
Congrats on your job offer.
Holloways is quite a nice beach suburb, not a lot there & very quiet. We lived there for a couple of months when we first came over. I would advise against booking longterm rental accom before you arrive though as the internet can be very deceiving. The hospital usually provide 2 weeks accom on arrival & this should be long enough for you to find somewhere. The rental market is good here at the moment.
Just a word of warning, the unemployment level is almost 13% in Cairns, highest in the country & your husband needs to check out what licenses he would need, if any, to operate his own business.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 5:19 am
BE Enthusiast

The rental market is good here at the moment
I must disagree with you there, there isn't much on the market atm, but we were looking at northern beaches only, the estate agents were telling us this as well. and this is the 2nd time of renting and 2 of our friends struggled to find rental recently.
We struggled to find anything adequate enough for us in 4 weeks and got a place a few days berfore we were meant to move out of our old place. There are things on the mrket but was finding the best places taken straight away and going for full if not more rent then asking for.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 6:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I stand corrected although there does seem to be quite a lot of properties around especially around Smithfield & Redlynch but we haven't seriously looked for a couple of months so perhaps it has changed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.