Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cairns vs Sunshine Coast

Cairns vs Sunshine Coast

Old Jan 16th 2008, 11:34 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cairns vs Sunshine Coast

Originally Posted by wardy2
To be fair the long ball game is awful and thats all he played and playing 2 defensive midfielders we sure wasnt going to win that way.

Sam Allardyce was not picked by this chairman and board he was never their choice it was previous chairman Shepherd, you could say it was his parting shot.

Should never have got rid of Robson
If you look back over history the majority of successful teams built their teams from the back. Sam was trying to stop goal leakage. Once you do that confidence grows and you can begin to play more expansively.

Toons main fault over the years is that they build from the front. Lovely to watch but wins nothing as the record shows. People can ring off the names of their front players but how many defenders outside of Bobby Moncur ?

Robson - agreed.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 11:43 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
If you look back over history the majority of successful teams built their teams from the back. Sam was trying to stop goal leakage. Once you do that confidence grows and you can begin to play more expansively.

Toons main fault over the years is that they build from the front. Lovely to watch but wins nothing as the record shows. People can ring off the names of their front players but how many defenders outside of Bobby Moncur ?

Robson - agreed.
Trouble is though if you dont score you dont win.

I agree about building from the back all my lads are goalkeepers and centre halves so have got to appreciate the need.

The young local lad at the minute is getting a name for himself Steven Taylor being pursued by a few clubs.

Being a watcher of Newcastle you could reel of the names of defenders but you are right their names bar a few would mean little to others.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

richayl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi again, I'm really sold on Cairns so far but hubby has been reading about all the rain you have there? I know its not called the wet tropics for nothing but exactly how bad are we talking here? Don't want to move from England to escape the awful weather (not the only reason obviously) to somewhere else we have to stay indoors?
Old Feb 1st 2008, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by richayl
Hi again, I'm really sold on Cairns so far but hubby has been reading about all the rain you have there? I know its not called the wet tropics for nothing but exactly how bad are we talking here? Don't want to move from England to escape the awful weather (not the only reason obviously) to somewhere else we have to stay indoors?
There you go http://www.eldersweather.com.au/clim...=site&lc=31011 all you ever needed to know.

Rain is good as it does cool the pool down a bit and at least you can still go for a swim if its raining

All that rain means you can wash your car as many times as you like, water the lawn and not have 3 minute showers. Life is good.

Funny thing is we have water restrictions with the main dam at 100.5% capacity. ????
WW
Old Feb 1st 2008, 11:54 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

It's in no way comparable to the UK.
The weather and rain is warm and that makes a tremendous difference.
It's very relaxing sitting on the patio rain watching.

During the wet season it is heavy but tends to be showers rather than day after day stuff. Yes, we can have long days of rain but not that many really.

We also get a lot falling in the evening and overnight so not interfering with daytime life. For the majority of the year you don't have to consider the weather when planning to do something. You plan it, you do it.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 7:16 am
Make it happen!!!!

BethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
The weather and rain is warm and that makes a tremendous difference.
It's very relaxing sitting on the patio rain watching.

During the wet season it is heavy but tends to be showers rather than day after day stuff. Yes, we can have long days of rain but not that many really.

We also get a lot falling in the evening and overnight so not interfering with daytime life. For the majority of the year you don't have to consider the weather when planning to do something. You plan it, you do it.
Sounds good to me
Beth x x
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 7:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
For the majority of the year you don't have to consider the weather when planning to do something. You plan it, you do it.
Now that sounds good
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

richayl is an unknown quantity at this point

That sounds great, thanks - just what we wanted to hear!!!
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 10:57 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

But !

Theres always a BUT

All of BIX's tatoo's arent really tatoo's !!

Its cos he falls asleep watching the sun come up, behind the 300ft skyscrapers, getting drunk on palm juice... and kids breaking in and graffitting everything that dont move !!!

Cairns is the pits, give it a miss.

You should look at a beaut spot, deemed to be the next property hotspot.

INALA ! Its all go there !
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
You should look at a beaut spot, deemed to be the next property hotspot.

INALA ! Its all go there !
In all seriousness, Inala despite it's reputation, will have to become a hotspot due to it's current relative cheapness and proximity to the CBD.

Personally, I wouldnt want to live there but it may suit some some looking for knockdown redevelop potential.

WW
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 8:25 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
In all seriousness, Inala despite it's reputation, will have to become a hotspot due to it's current relative cheapness and proximity to the CBD.

Personally, I wouldnt want to live there but it may suit some some looking for knockdown redevelop potential.

WW
Actuallt thats pretty true, backing onto Pallara, which has to be the nearest acreage to the city... still yet untapped !

I think there were issues that the train line, would become a huge affair.. not the case yet, AFAIK
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jackass
Oooh ohhhh i can answer this one!!!!

i have lived (albeit briefly!!!) at both!!!

did sunny coast 2006
went back to uk
now in cairns and loving it

ok ok i can elaborate!!

we didnt stay in sunshine coast (caloundra) for very long due to a very difficult pregnancy so went back to the uk.

after my beautiful girl was born we wanted to give oz another go so headed for cairns and we are so happy things worked out the way rthey did. cost a packet but we ended up in the best place on earth.

sunshine coast is just so beautiful and the beaches are just perfect. HOWEVER, it was just a bit quiet for us and we feel we would have outgrown it pretty quickly. any serious nightlife or shopping etc would mean a trip to brisbane. which, in all fairness, is only an hour/hour and half away but with a teenage daughter im buggered if i want to do that trip every saturday (at least!!)

we are now in cairns and it has the lot! i dont have the time to blab on about it but check out posts from bix/da boss - its all in there!!

cairns rocks my socks !!

I agree with you. I spent a bit of time around Caboolture when I did the reccie..amazing beaches up that way but there didn't seem to be much else..I know I would have been bored after a while and a bit too far from brisbane for a night out..but I don't have kids so others may see it differently.
As soon as we drove into Cairns I instantly fell in love with the area...actually before Cairns even. When we got to Mission beach and the scenery just became so beautiful. Cairns for me has everything, nice restaurants, marina, lovely esplanade, plenty of nightlife if you want it, bars that are more than just small cafes, and gorgeous beaches within a 10 minute drive from CBD. the shopping is ample for me , but I love surf clothing so plenty of choice!
Then theres Port Douglas, Gilles Range, Atherton tablelands, great Barrier reef..need I go on.
Roll on the arrival of my visa..the waiting is killing me now.
Sorry Bix, am I selling it too much!
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 2:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tripawaymars
I agree with you. I spent a bit of time around Caboolture when I did the reccie..amazing beaches up that way but there didn't seem to be much else..I know I would have been bored after a while and a bit too far from brisbane for a night out..but I don't have kids so others may see it differently.
As soon as we drove into Cairns I instantly fell in love with the area...actually before Cairns even. When we got to Mission beach and the scenery just became so beautiful. Cairns for me has everything, nice restaurants, marina, lovely esplanade, plenty of nightlife if you want it, bars that are more than just small cafes, and gorgeous beaches within a 10 minute drive from CBD. the shopping is ample for me , but I love surf clothing so plenty of choice!
Then theres Port Douglas, Gilles Range, Atherton tablelands, great Barrier reef..need I go on.
Roll on the arrival of my visa..the waiting is killing me now.
Sorry Bix, am I selling it too much!
I just want to be there NOW!!!!
Will someone save a little space for me please?