Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cairns Things To See

Cairns Things To See

Old Mar 25th 2005, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

spondyatwood is on a distinguished road
Default Cairns Things To See

We have booked a trip to Cairns in April and have a car arranged for 5 days.
We have already pre booked a reef tour and was wondering what other places people can recomend to see.
We have our in laws travelling with us and they are both in their 70s but quite fit.
I have been told about a cable car trip through the rain forest but cant remember the name of it.
Any ideas would be gratefully received as we have not been to this area before.
thanks in advance

Spondy Atwood and Family
Old Mar 25th 2005, 10:43 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: Cairns Things To See

Originally Posted by spondyatwood
We have already pre booked a reef tour and was wondering what other places people can recomend to see.
We have our in laws travelling with us and they are both in their 70s but quite fit.
I have been told about a cable car trip through the rain forest but cant remember the name of it.
thanks in advance

Spondy Atwood and Family
Hi

I think its the Kuranda skytrain you're referring to, not been myself, but it gets good reviews. Port Douglas is definitely worth a day trip, great little fish restaurants up there and a lovely coast drive too
Old Mar 25th 2005, 10:57 pm
blossom

Kuranda is definitely worth a visit, and take the scenic railway the views are spectacular and the station itself is worthy of a few photos!

Kuranda has several visitor centres, but the market and aborigine crafts are especially interesting.

Blossom

Old Mar 26th 2005, 2:58 am
Just Joined

spondyatwood is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by blossom
Kuranda is definitely worth a visit, and take the scenic railway the views are spectacular and the station itself is worthy of a few photos!

Kuranda has several visitor centres, but the market and aborigine crafts are especially interesting.

Blossom
Thanks very much for the info we shall look at this when we get there
Old Mar 26th 2005, 6:52 am
Swiss, in Brisbane

Barbara_CH is on a distinguished road

thanks in advance

Spondy Atwood and Family
Hi there,

I can recommend Paronella Park www.paronellapark.com.au
I have never seen it myself but we sell it a lot in our travel agency. They love it because of it's history.

I have done the kuranda trip myself and it was quite nice. Beautiful walks in the rainforest and markets every day. http://www.kuranda.org/

Then of course there is Cape Tribulation..where the rainforest meets the reef. Amazing!

Have fun,

Barbara
Old Mar 26th 2005, 11:33 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

This covers most of it....

http://www.cairns-australia.com/

http://www.cairnsconnect.com.au/

http://www.tropicalaustralia.com.au/
Old Mar 26th 2005, 11:34 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barbara_CH
Hi there,

I can recommend Paronella Park www.paronellapark.com.au
I have never seen it myself but we sell it a lot in our travel agency. They love it because of it's history.

I have done the kuranda trip myself and it was quite nice. Beautiful walks in the rainforest and markets every day. http://www.kuranda.org/

Then of course there is Cape Tribulation..where the rainforest meets the reef. Amazing!

Have fun,

Barbara
I can cetainly recommend the rainforest too. I particularly liked the Atherton tablelands, because at high altitude the climate is milder and places like Lake Eacham and Lake Barrine are highland volcanic lakes surrounded by rainforest, where you can have close encounters with wild Musky Rat Kangaroos, Pademelons and lots of tropical birds.

My favourite place to stay for Wet Tropics wildlife encounters was, however, Kingfisher Park near Julatten, up in the hills from Mossman. It has chalets and camping facilities, and is one of the best places I've seen for a wide range of species such as Platypus, Pademelons, Long-nosed and Northern Brown Bandicoots, Green, Striped and Ringtail Possums, and lots and lots of birds. It's just a really beautiful, peaceful, affordable place to see nature and just relax. So even if you're not particularly interested in wildlife watching, it's deffo worth a stop-over if you're passing through.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 11:17 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks in advance

Spondy Atwood and Family
we live on the northern cairns beaches so here we go. go to kuranda but go up on the train and come back down on the skyrail or vice versa. paronella park as mentioned is an hour south of cairns and is worth a day. tie in a look to millaa millaa falls while your down there. very pretty. port douglas is best on a sunday morning for the markets and try breakfast with the birds at the rainforest habitat although they are on a wed when there is a ship in. mossman gorge is a nice walk thru the rainforest while your up there. not to strenuous. tjapukai at the sky rail is good for the show also. our olds enjoyed it anyway
Old Mar 28th 2005, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: Cairns Things To See

thanks in advance

Spondy Atwood and Family
We did a rainforest tour with www.waitawhile.com

We got picked up at approx 2pm by the guide in a 4 wheel drive & didn't get back 'til late. The group was small (us & one other) & the guide was excellent & very knowledgable. We saw dog faced bats, grey huntsman spider, cane toads, duck billed platypus, possum spotting plus more.

Very interesting & excellent value for money.....

To eat. Check out the Red Ochre Grill.

Also, have a wander around the night market.

Last edited by Caroline G; Mar 28th 2005 at 6:08 pm.