Reload this Page >

Cairns or Sydney opportunity

Cairns or Sydney opportunity

Old Jun 18th 2018, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

NHNH2016 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cairns or Sydney opportunity

Hi,

I am currently based in London (been here for 2 years and don't like it as it is too busy for me, people are inconsiderate, rude and everyone in a hurry, takes you a long time to get anywhere due to traffic/people volume, properties are small for what you pay, lack of space), I prefer the north specifically Yorkshire/North East. The company I work for has several offices in Oz were I have been asked would I consider a move to Sydney (permanent) and/or Cairns (12 month secondment with the potential to extend). I work as a project manager within the construction/civil engineering sector so transport and utility related projects (not buildings) and consultancy advisory.

It is very early days and no talk of visas/package etc. have been discussed. I imagine Sydney is like London but on a smaller scale and expensive like London (but then again compared to the UK Oz is expensive?

Anyone lived in both places who could provide any thoughts/suggestions? I am aware Sydney is booming and will have a lot more to do etc. and opportunities but would appreciate trying to get a feeling/comparison against London and should both opportunities be offered which I should choose. From a professional/career progression point of view I would choose the opportunity in Cairns.

Thanks
Old Jun 18th 2018, 9:50 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cairns or Sydney opportunity

Everything you don't like about London, you will experience in Sydney. If you like living the slower pace of Yorkshire / the North East, move to Cairns. However I would surely die of boredom there, and I say that as someone who comes from Redcar.

Seriously, depends what you're looking for out of life. What kind of climate do you like? What are your interests? Do you have a family to consider (schools, etc.)? What are your longer term plans? Give us some more clues.
Old Jun 19th 2018, 1:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NHNH2016
Hi,

I am currently based in London (been here for 2 years and don't like it as it is too busy for me, people are inconsiderate, rude and everyone in a hurry, takes you a long time to get anywhere due to traffic/people volume, properties are small for what you pay, lack of space),

And that's city living for you. However London does tend to take that to the extreme. I prefer the atmosphere, diversity and vibrancy that cities bring - its not for all but it is for me.

I prefer the north specifically Yorkshire/North East. The company I work for has several offices in Oz were I have been asked would I consider a move to Sydney (permanent) and/or Cairns (12 month secondment with the potential to extend). I work as a project manager within the construction/civil engineering sector so transport and utility related projects (not buildings) and consultancy advisory.
Civil works are booming on the East Coast - specifically in Sydney and Melbourne and Brisbane to a lesser degree. Not sure what's happening in Cairns.

It is very early days and no talk of visas/package etc. have been discussed. I imagine Sydney is like London but on a smaller scale and expensive like London (but then again compared to the UK Oz is expensive?
When you put the average salary up against the average cost to live Sydney comes out way better than London. As for the UK v OZ thing you wrote, well how long is a piece of string. Both countries vary in salaries and costs depending on where you live.

Anyone lived in both places who could provide any thoughts/suggestions? I am aware Sydney is booming and will have a lot more to do etc. and opportunities but would appreciate trying to get a feeling/comparison against London and should both opportunities be offered which I should choose. From a professional/career progression point of view I would choose the opportunity in Cairns.

Thanks
Yep, I have lived in both multiple times over the years. Right now Sydney is for me. Its not as busy as London, people are a bit more personable, you can actually drive without sitting in traffic all day, (however traffic can be bad in parts and at certain times - but that's a city for you). For me at this point in life, having loved London for its urban vibe, pubs, restaurants, bars, music venues, business, history, etc, I am enjoying the other things Sydney has which mainly revolve more towards the outdoors - beaches, national parks, waterways, and the fact that summer is longer than 2 months, yet it still has the busy, the vibrancy, the booming work, and good salaries. Each to their own.
Old Jun 19th 2018, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Very hot, Cairns...
Old Jun 19th 2018, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

I like hot and don't mind humidity, when you've lived in a country that can experience 98% humidity you get used to it.

We have a 5month young girl, so has a couple years before we need to start considering schools. As I said earlier the post in cairns would only last approx. 12 months so could move to other cities in Oz I wish after.

Our interests, good food, picnics, visiting zoo's, going swimming with our daughter, walking, bike rides, travelling...we like to keep active but no longer gym bunnies.
Old Jun 19th 2018, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Beoz
And that's city living for you. However London does tend to take that to the extreme. I prefer the atmosphere, diversity and vibrancy that cities bring - its not for all but it is for me.

Civil works are booming on the East Coast - specifically in Sydney and Melbourne and Brisbane to a lesser degree. Not sure what's happening in Cairns.
yes, if I move to Sydney I would would be working on the new rail/metro or new airport projects..

When you put the average salary up against the average cost to live Sydney comes out way better than London. As for the UK v OZ thing you wrote, well how long is a piece of string. Both countries vary in salaries and costs depending on where you live.

Yep, I have lived in both multiple times over the years. Right now Sydney is for me. Its not as busy as London, people are a bit more personable, you can actually drive without sitting in traffic all day, (however traffic can be bad in parts and at certain times - but that's a city for you). For me at this point in life, having loved London for its urban vibe, pubs, restaurants, bars, music venues, business, history, etc, I am enjoying the other things Sydney has which mainly revolve more towards the outdoors - beaches, national parks, waterways, and the fact that summer is longer than 2 months, yet it still has the busy, the vibrancy, the booming work, and good salaries. Each to their own.
I hear what you are saying..i was talking to a colleague yesterday who is from Melbourne and the said the same thing.
Old Jun 19th 2018, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Seems straightforward to me. You like hot and don't mind humid, don't like big cities and the job in Cairns is better. Unless the money isn't good enough, Cairns it is.

I've not lived in Cairns, but I spent several months there or within striking distance of there on and off last year. It has everything you need, a nice vibe (obviously full of tourists and backpackers at certain times of year), climate is beautiful for most of the year, lovely beaches once you get outside the city (though you can't swim for much of the year, there is freshwater swimming at Cascades instead though), good fruit and veg market, reasonable restaurants, plenty of things do both on the coast and inland, has an international airport, lovely botanic gardens in the city to shelter when it does get too hot. Like most Australian cities, it sprawls a bit and by non-Sydney/Melbourne Australian standards, the traffic can get a bit snarled up but you probably wouldn't even notice if used to London! I'd probably choose the northern beachside suburbs to live rather than in the city itself personally.
Old Jun 19th 2018, 8:14 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

If I were in your situation, I'd take Cairns for a year.
Old Jun 19th 2018, 9:37 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, go for Cairns. I haven't lived there (have visited the region a few times but that's very different of course) but sweated in Singapore for six years so know my humidity. I would miss the theatre and dining scene too much to live there at this stage of my life but sounds like you are more outdoorsy than me, and with a little one I think it would suit you well.

Life's an adventure - who knows what will happen after 12 months?
Old Jun 20th 2018, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Thank you for the replies, I think I have my mind/heart set on Cairns for the initial 12 months. I now need to notify HR of my preference. Lets hope my company can secure the work, provide a reasonable package/offer and get me over.

Does anyone know of any local mums/moms/mams/mother groups either in the Cairns regions? Or direct me to someone who may be able to help?
Old Jun 20th 2018, 9:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louie
Seems straightforward to me. You like hot and don't mind humid, don't like big cities and the job in Cairns is better. Unless the money isn't good enough, Cairns it is.

I've not lived in Cairns, but I spent several months there or within striking distance of there on and off last year. It has everything you need, a nice vibe (obviously full of tourists and backpackers at certain times of year), climate is beautiful for most of the year, lovely beaches once you get outside the city (though you can't swim for much of the year, there is freshwater swimming at Cascades instead though), good fruit and veg market, reasonable restaurants, plenty of things do both on the coast and inland, has an international airport, lovely botanic gardens in the city to shelter when it does get too hot. Like most Australian cities, it sprawls a bit and by non-Sydney/Melbourne Australian standards, the traffic can get a bit snarled up but you probably wouldn't even notice if used to London! I'd probably choose the northern beachside suburbs to live rather than in the city itself personally.
Only been there once. Was very disappointed swimming in the ocean was off limits due to crocs and stingers. Humidity was awful. Other than that it seemed like a nice town.
Old Jun 21st 2018, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

I am not a Sydney person, but I would strongly advise you to do your due diligence on Cairns. I have never been but most reports I hear from people who go, are similar to Beoz's. You are not going to a tropical Hawaiian island there. Swimming in the scorching summer months is off-limits due to stingers, and all inland rivers and waterways are off-limits year round because of crocs (saltwater crocodiles, despite their name, happily live in fresh water too). Cairns is also very remote - Brisbane is a two-day drive . . .

I wouldn't say Sydney is like London. It's a lot smaller. Similar to a mid-size American city if you have ever been in the US. But it's by far the biggest city in these parts, which makes it easy to lose perspective on how big it really is and isn't.

I live in the regions and love it, but it's definitely not for everyone.

If the Sydney move comes with permanency and PR, and Cairns is 12 months - consider Sydney and permanency, and then work on a Cairns transfer later if you still want it.

Here is a site that may help you:

Cairns Unlimited- FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS!
Old Jun 21st 2018, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Ok so not far from Cairns are glorious beaches with nets where people swim year round. There are also inland water holes where people swim croc free, although they are a tad chilly in the winter months. Also many have pools.

The landscape is beautiful and varied if you go from coast to tablelands.

Cairns itself is small though a big town rather than a city really.

Yes it it gets humid but you do get used to it, and the winter is lovely.
Old Jun 21st 2018, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
I wouldn't say Sydney is like London. It's a lot smaller. Similar to a mid-size American city if you have ever been in the US.
I find it hard to compare Australian cities with US ones, other than population there is very little in common.

San Francisco would probably be a close comparison, but it’s still more like London culturally.

I’ve worked in multiple cities in the USA and despite their size, places like Dallas and Houston feel smaller and less busier than Sydney, many US cities are nothing more than high rise business parks and are absolutely dead outside of office hours or weekends
Old Jun 22nd 2018, 4:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by sr71

I find it hard to compare Australian cities with US ones, other than population there is very little in common.

San Francisco would probably be a close comparison, but it’s still more like London culturally.

I’ve worked in multiple cities in the USA and despite their size, places like Dallas and Houston feel smaller and less busier than Sydney, many US cities are nothing more than high rise business parks and are absolutely dead outside of office hours or weekends
To be fair Sydney CBD is a bit dead outside business hours except for tourists. Locals tend to go to the CDB fringes these days. Bit like what happens City of London.

Last edited by Beoz; Jun 22nd 2018 at 4:43 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.