Reload this Page >

Cairns - Melbourne

Cairns - Melbourne

Old Sep 16th 2008, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

leon.richmond is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cairns - Melbourne

Hello All!

My partner and i are travelling from Cairns - Melbourne (working on the way) starting in Jan 09 and leaving Nov next year.

Has anyone done this route before whos got any good advice? Ie.Best modes of travel,lodgings,weather,etc? We'll have £6000 and we know this wont last to long but are willing to work along the way to fund the journey.

Were really looking forward to it but slightly nervous as well,as we have never been before!

Also my dad keeps saying that flies and mossie bites will do my head in:curse:,is he winding me up or do they!! ha ha

Thanks 4 reading and any advice will be greatly appreciated

Leon+Jeanette
Old Sep 16th 2008, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cairns - Melbourne

Have a look at the Backpackers Magazine and Backpacker Sites as they will give you all the information about working your way in Australia.

Mossies and flies yes we have lots and yes they are a nuisance. Good repellant is required. Those hats with corks on are not a joke. You can get hats now with a flysceen in front of them
Old Sep 16th 2008, 10:41 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cairns - Melbourne

Originally Posted by leon.richmond
Hello All!

My partner and i are travelling from Cairns - Melbourne (working on the way) starting in Jan 09 and leaving Nov next year.

Has anyone done this route before whos got any good advice? Ie.Best modes of travel,lodgings,weather,etc? We'll have £6000 and we know this wont last to long but are willing to work along the way to fund the journey.

Were really looking forward to it but slightly nervous as well,as we have never been before!

Also my dad keeps saying that flies and mossie bites will do my head in:curse:,is he winding me up or do they!! ha ha

Thanks 4 reading and any advice will be greatly appreciated

Leon+Jeanette
Would you consider doing Melbourne to Cairns instead?

Weatherwise you'd probably be much better off this way. As it stands you may be in far north Queensland for the wet season and potentially in the southern states over Winter.

If you'd rather have perpetual Summer you should do the itinerary in reverse - Melbourne is fantastic in high Summer......loooooooong sunny days!

Anyway, take a look at Oz Experience....its a hop on hop off tour aimed at backpackers.....you can stay as long in each stop as you like and they help you find accomodation, tours etc in each place.

http://www.ozexperience.com/bruce-pa...ney-to-cairns/

and

http://www.ozexperience.com/cobber-p...-or-melbourne/ in the opposite direction.

Last edited by bcworld; Sep 17th 2008 at 12:27 am.