cairns airport

Old Jan 21st 2008, 10:13 am
Just Joined

tiernan will become famous soon enough
Smile cairns airport

Hi. My OH and I will be arriving in Cairns next Tuesday and were wondering what the procedure is when you get to the airport. Do migrants have to go through a different area than visitors? Do they pay more attantion to looking through your luggage? Is there any migrant information at the airport?
Sorry to ask daft questions but it is getting so close now it is amazing what goes through your mind. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. J
Old Jan 21st 2008, 11:00 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cairns airport

Sorry I cant help but this question is probably better in the Australia section rather than immigration that way the people of Cairns can see it.

Theres quite a few on here and i'm sure they will be along shortly

Kaye
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:11 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Cairns airport is not large so don't worry you won't get lost.
All international arrivals are ushered to the reception area of which there is only one. Visitors and imigrants all come through the same way.

Don't forget to make out your landing card and declare any edibles you have with you. Again don't worry about that. If you can't bring it through they will just confiscate it for disposal. Main thing is you declare it.....even a packet of gum in your pocket.

They have the usual sniffer dogs and scanner counters. Some people have to open all their cases some don't. When we came through with all our wordly immigration baggage they didn't check anything at all. Just went through the scanners and that was it. Pot luck I guess.

The lady that did our passport and electronic visa check was lovely and made us feel welcome.

There is only one doorway that takes you to a reception lounge area where there are seats for people waiting for arrivals, currency desk, hire car desks and that sort of thing. As you come out the taxi ranks are across the lounge straight ahead and out the doors. Bus stop is through a door on the left. To the right are the seats and sharp right are toilets. Also on the right is a set of stairs leading upstairs to a cafe area.

I don't recall any migrant service information as such but I could have missed it. There is this place in the city though...

Migrant Settlement Services
Assists newly arrived and humanitarian entrants with their settlement needs and coordinates Migrant Services.
Located on the 1st floor Virginia House,
68 Abbott Street.
Phone: 4041 7699
Fax: 4041 7699
Email: [email protected]

We've been getting temps 4 degrees higher than normal for the time of year probably because the real wet has yet to happen so you are excused if you bring the rain with you.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 11:06 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

just had a look at recent temps in Cairns....Friday was 35.7c with no rain all day but 69% humidity !

That's not just hot, that's bat-shit-crazy hot.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 11:30 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markallwood
just had a look at recent temps in Cairns....Friday was 35.7c with no rain all day but 69% humidity !

That's not just hot, that's bat-shit-crazy hot.

You missed the days it topped 90% humidity.
Even had Youngy on his knees
Old Jan 24th 2008, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

tiernan will become famous soon enough

thanks for the reply. Sorry for the delay my internet went down, very bad timing. I now have a better idea of what to expect and can't wait to get there.