Wikiposts

Cairns ??

Old May 31st 2006, 9:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cairns ??

Originally Posted by steve`o
woundered when you`d turn up wends

Been here for a while helping someone on the Immigration forum.

Also been speaking to my Estate agent and he told me the searches have finally started, so I'm a happy bunny this morning
Old May 31st 2006, 9:56 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
Been here for a while helping someone on the Immigration forum.

Also been speaking to my Estate agent and he told me the searches have finally started, so I'm a happy bunny this morning

so its a matter of weeks now then wends?
Old May 31st 2006, 9:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

so its a matter of weeks now then wends?

Hopefully, we still have to have the roof inspected though

I can't see anything wrong with it, but then I'm sure they'll find something wrong just like the Electrician did
Old May 31st 2006, 10:03 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully, we still have to have the roof inspected though

I can't see anything wrong with it, but then I'm sure they'll find something wrong just like the Electrician did
i take that OH has done the bonding etc
Old May 31st 2006, 10:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

i take that OH has done the bonding etc
He's doing it on Saturday. He still can't understand (in his words) "why the F*** anyone would recommend you connect the taps to the electric"

Of course it means nothing to me
Old May 31st 2006, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

milliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud of

Very enlightening, we thought we would have to be in a city for dh's work but maybe not now Thanks for the link steve and the info Gill.

Not sure we would be ablt to cope with the heat though, so a visit/holiday is def top of the the list.

Sorry for the highjack
Old May 31st 2006, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

milliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bix da Boss
Never mind he

Anyway, have to get off of here now as BIX as getting VERY impatient -

Cya guys - have a good evening or morning whatever

G
I won't ask what hes impatient for
Old Jun 1st 2006, 12:22 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by milliesmum
Is there much call for accountants in Cairns?
Yes.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=376714

Our accountant is going abroad so we had a recruitment agent at work yesterday to start the process of finding a replacement.
They said we will be lucky to find one very quickly due to the dire shortage.

Bear in mind you would need to transfer your skills over to Australian standards so to begin with you will probably fall down the ladder a bit.
Old Jun 1st 2006, 12:25 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

He's doing it on Saturday. He still can't understand (in his words) "why the F*** anyone would recommend you connect the taps to the electric"

Of course it means nothing to me
Earthing my dear.

Principle is that if you had a fault in the house and a wire touches a metal pipe the whole pipework around said hause would become live and dangerous.

Need to bond them so there is a smooth route to earth.
Old Jun 1st 2006, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

We had allowed for that anyway and tbh we want a slower pace of life than here, dh works long hours for good money but he is soooo bored with the long commute, hours and arse licking that comes with his current job (Senior Project Management Accountant) that I think it will be a welcome relief!!

He is not sure about Cairns though, too worried about the crocs after he saw them on a Steve Irwin programme Wants to play it safe in Brissie
Old Jun 1st 2006, 12:35 am

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bix
Earthing my dear.

Principle is that if you had a fault in the house and a wire touches a metal pipe the whole pipework around said hause would become live and dangerous.

Mmmmmmmmmmm sounds nice
Old Jun 1st 2006, 12:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bix
Earthing my dear.

Yes, I know. the thing is the taps are bonded already like they always have been, but the new regulations are that they now also have to be bonded to the light
Or that is what the electrician said to my hubby the other day.

Anyway what do I know, I'm a woman and that's mans work
Old Jun 1st 2006, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

We had allowed for that anyway and tbh we want a slower pace of life than here, dh works long hours for good money but he is soooo bored with the long commute, hours and arse licking that comes with his current job (Senior Project Management Accountant) that I think it will be a welcome relief!!

He is not sure about Cairns though, too worried about the crocs after he saw them on a Steve Irwin programme Wants to play it safe in Brissie
The AM peak hour traffic in Cairns can be a killer. Get 3 cars together and you have a queue. Sometimes you even have to stop at the traffic lights!

Eventually I will have to give it up and return to Brisbane and get used to those dream runs from Redlands to the city in 15 mins in the rain, park in the free carpark outside the office.......

Bugger must have nodded off. Was that a dream? :scared: Or a nightmare?

As for crocs, dont buy waterfront land. Simple.

WW
Old Jun 1st 2006, 12:55 am
Bix
da Bonehead

A holiday will give you a good time but only skims the surface.

Anyone ever take a holiday in a hot country and although enjoyed it thought blimey I couldn't live in this heat every day.

Wrong.

Look around the place. People do and they can because they do. The human body is a wonderful thing (especially female ) and adapts.

We had never been to a hot or humid country. Went straight from wet and windy Cornwall to tropical Cairns. We arrived at the start of the wet season and have now lived through 2 wets. There are only two seasons here.
The wet - approx 3/4 months of hot and humid weather.
The dry - 8/9 months of beautiful sunny and dry weather.

In our first wet we couldn't wait to get into aircon - and that is in most buildings. This time round was so much different. Yes hot and humid but we were able to cope with it. Already we have aclimatised so much.

I have not needed to wear a coat or jumper since being here. Not even when hissing with rain. A brolly is all most people use then. It's bloody great wearing shorts and top all year round I can tell you.

I'm sitting here now at about 10.40pm just wearing shorts as the temp is 28 degrees. Ahhhhh lovely. The temp in Cairns is one of the most predictable in Australia. We don't get the wide variations other parts of Australia get which means it's easier to handle and acclimatise.

From a work point of view don't think in terms of working like a trojan in adverse conditions. The pace of work here is the same as life......at the pace the weather dictates. Sweat ? yes of course.......bust a gut......no.

So when you hear someone comment on living conditions of a place (not just Cairns and not just the weather), ask them how long they lived there.
Only by living the life will you appreciate the reality. Only by experiencing over time can you really "feel" any place.
Old Jun 1st 2006, 1:06 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Safe in Brissie with the sharks......and there's also big fish with sharp teeth down that way and traffic jams and hoards of people and snakes.

We had phobias about crocs, snakes, spiders and the like.
Had being the operative word.

No room for complacency but you soon learn some basic dos and don'ts. They are not things you think about in everyday life here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.