Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cadbury's Chocolate?????

Cadbury's Chocolate?????

Old Feb 6th 2003, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough
Default Cadbury's Chocolate?????

why does everyone think there is no Cadbury's chocolate in Australia? Its in the shops everywhere here! Are we just lucky Sydneysiders???

Mandy
Old Feb 6th 2003, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

Location: Woodcroft, 25 kms south of Adelaide South Australia
wizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the rough

I think there is a Cadburys choccy factory in Adelaide. I miss Buttons though - Cadburys Chocolate Buttons yummmmmmmmmm
Old Feb 6th 2003, 8:40 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

It has a different coco content I think the stuff made here - anyway it tastes different to me. So I do not eat it, but having been back in the UK these last two weeks (home on the weekend! yippee) I find I am not eating it here either! But have been digging into M&S Prawn sandwiches, UK Sausage rolls....I am the size of a house!

Cheers
Old Feb 6th 2003, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

anzen12 is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe it is different chocolate. I think there is some EU law that states a minimum amount of cocoa that has to be used. As they don't have the same law here, Cadburys use some form of substitute. Typical big company thinking - if they are not forced to the right thing - they don't.
Old Feb 6th 2003, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

I'm gonna have to go out and buy some now to find out for myself!! haven't had chocolate for ages so will probably taste like heaven to me! Bang goes my diet.

Mandy
Old Feb 6th 2003, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

kevmitch is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by anzen12
I believe it is different chocolate. I think there is some EU law that states a minimum amount of cocoa that has to be used. As they don't have the same law here, Cadburys use some form of substitute. Typical big company thinking - if they are not forced to the right thing - they don't.
Whilst there is nominally a law in the EU, the UK in general and Cadbury in particular don't have to comply at the moment - they challenged the ruling in the European Court last year some time - and I believe the case is still pending (stuck in Brussels somewhere)

Living 5 miles from the Cadbury factory in Bournville and knowing some of the people working their, you really don't want to know what goes into your favorite chockie bar!! just eat it and enjoy.

PS I believe the factory in Adelaide was a sometime aquisition - and I suspect they just changed the packaging.
Old Feb 6th 2003, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

shaun/lor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default not goin crazy

you dont know how relieved my missus will be to read this thread she too has stopped eating her fav cdburys chocy since we arrived, saying it tastes awfull, my dad who is an ozzy nearly sent her round the bend insisting it must be the same so she can print this thread of now and take it to show him,
shes even asked her mum and nan to smuggle some in when they visit later in the year is that desprate or what
cheers shaun
Old Feb 6th 2003, 9:14 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of
Default Re: not goin crazy

Originally posted by shaun/lor
you dont know how relieved my missus will be to read this thread she too has stopped eating her fav cdburys chocy since we arrived, saying it tastes awfull, my dad who is an ozzy nearly sent her round the bend insisting it must be the same so she can print this thread of now and take it to show him,
shes even asked her mum and nan to smuggle some in when they visit later in the year is that desprate or what
cheers shaun
The Cadbury's chocolate they make in Oz (and other hot countries like South Africa) has a different chemicals in to give it a higher melting temperature than the UK stuff. Thats what makes it seem a bit odd - it does'nt melt in the mouth as readily as the UK stuff and has a slightly grainy texture. My South African aunt brings an empty sports bag to England when she visits and takes it back completely full of Dairy Milk.
I had some Cadbury' chocolate fingers back at my parents in August and I swear it was the best thing I'd tasted for at least a year!
Old Feb 6th 2003, 9:22 pm
Adelaide bound

fishyben is just really nicefishyben is just really nicefishyben is just really nicefishyben is just really nicefishyben is just really nicefishyben is just really nicefishyben is just really nicefishyben is just really nicefishyben is just really nicefishyben is just really nice

got slightly addicted to Cadbury's Cherry Ripe when in aus, get sad coz they dont sell them in uk
Old Feb 6th 2003, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant future

Am I correct in thinking they sell Cadbury's Chocolate in the UK but Cadbury Chocolate in Australia (no apostrophe 's).

What you don't see are bars of Galaxy
Old Feb 6th 2003, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well I did the test. I went out and bought a bar of Cadbury Dairy Milk. It did taste slightly different but not that different, there is a slight aftertaste and its not as smooth (God I sound like a wine taster!!) it was still nice though but then again I haven't had chocolate in a long time so even cooking chocolate would probably taste good to me!! Anyway I wouldn't go as far as buying a load from some importer I think the Cadbury here will do just fine.
Well, now I have got to go to the gym and work off those 1220kj and 16g of fat I just ate (and thats just a 55g bar!) or I won't be able to have any lunch!! I'll keep the wrapper to sniff every now and again!!

Mandy
Old Feb 7th 2003, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

cazsue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What i miss is.....

Cadbury Tiffin, I got to try some on my honeymoon in Ireland last year and really got addicted.

I miss Thorntons Toffee Chocs and I also really miss Minstrels and Galaxy, although my husband did find a couple of shops in the city that sell it at extortionate prices, they also sell caramac which is very yummy though not sure if you can class it as chocolate.

I also felt we missed out a bit at Christmas with not being able to hang up chocolate christmas decs or have loads of selection boxes and giant bars of chocolate (my fridge isn't big enough for that).

My fave chocolate here which you can't get in the UK is Milo Bars and Peppermint Crisp....... does anyone remember Peppermint Cracknel that used to be around in the 70's?

Anyway enough rambling, must have a rummage around the fridge and see if we have any chocolate in, if not it will a quick trip down to Woolies.

Regards

Caz
Old Feb 7th 2003, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

sophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant future

yep, I heard the same thing as Herman - there's something like wax in the choccy here to stop it melting

I get mum n dad to post some real cadburys over regularly, as well as marmite and jaffa cakes!
Old Feb 7th 2003, 8:14 am
Free at last!

Houdini is on a distinguished road

Interesting to hear people's views on Cadbury's. I was born and brought up in South Africa and had my first taste of UK Cadbury's 12 years ago when I moved over. I still prefer the South African stuff and have heard rumours that the taste diference has indeed got something to do with climate and therefore the way it's made/additives. So I'm looking forward to seeing if the Aussie stuff is the same as SA.
Old Feb 7th 2003, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

reminds me of an old girlfriend
every year at easter i would go into a posh chocy shop and buy a very expensive finest quality belgium egg

after a few years she finally plucked up courage to tell me she much prefered cadbury's!!

couldn't believe it ......

cheers

richard

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.