Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Caboolture Shire

Caboolture Shire

Old Feb 1st 2006, 9:50 am
Just Joined

AndyAndy is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Caboolture Shire

Moving to Queensland early April with wife and young son (5), assuming I'll have to travel into Brisbane CBD for work. Looking at renting then buying in Caboolture Shire. Any views on that? Good? Bad? Appreciate any advise. Thanks.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

thepominlaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Caboolture Shire

Originally Posted by AndyAndy
Moving to Queensland early April with wife and young son (5), assuming I'll have to travel into Brisbane CBD for work. Looking at renting then buying in Caboolture Shire. Any views on that? Good? Bad? Appreciate any advise. Thanks.

hi andyandy

I am from the northside of brisbane(when i was there and am going back this year) caboolture is a lovely place from what i remember and from looking on the realestate site you get more for your money there as far as renting is concerned. Thats where we will probably look at renting when we get over later in the year thats providing everything goes well for us when we submit our paperwork for my hubbies spouse visa. Morayfield was an up and coming place when i was last there in 2002 on holiday. Hope this is a little help for you, when are you going to oz?

Tracey
Old Feb 1st 2006, 1:20 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Their Saturday market is famous and starts at 4.30 excellent foods and etc. all garden plants lots of choice and Caboolture central for lots of good places to visit and enjoy
Old Feb 1st 2006, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

LauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really nice

It takes around 40 mins to the City from Caboolture on the train that doesn't stop at all stations. If you leave after 7am your best place to find a parking space is at the back of the station as fronts full by then. The journey's a good'un too..Clean carriages, regular service that's reliable and loads cheaper than travel in the Uk.

Caboolture itself is quite central to both Brissy and The Sunshine Coast. Such a wide variety of places to visit and things to do. We're about 20 mins drive from there. Morayfield is close by with a huge shopping centre, bowling alley etc.

We love the area! Best of luck with your move.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

australia to canada will become famous soon enough

Housing, you really need to check this out in person, the properties are cheap, but, there are pockets of long termed unemployed live there and some areas look very rough. Have a really good look around before you commit to renting or buying.

Last edited by australia to canada; Feb 1st 2006 at 7:07 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 10:30 am
Just Joined

AndyAndy is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Caboolture Shire

My first reply to anything, so lets just see where it ends up! (ie am I typing in the right place)...

Have booked flights for 28 March. Going first to New Zealand to stay with sister who emigrated from UK 4 years back. Then arranging flight to Brisbane, hiring a car, sorting out short term holiday let, looking round, sorting out 6 month rental, enroling son at school, finding a job. Maybe not in that order, but that is kind of the plan. My wife applied for a spouses visa and from start to finish took less than 3 years - mainly us holding it up over Christmas sorting out witness statements and stuff. Can't wait, but maybe stepping into the unknown...

I am from the northside of brisbane(when i was there and am going back this year) caboolture is a lovely place from what i remember and from looking on the realestate site you get more for your money there as far as renting is concerned. Thats where we will probably look at renting when we get over later in the year thats providing everything goes well for us when we submit our paperwork for my hubbies spouse visa. Morayfield was an up and coming place when i was last there in 2002 on holiday. Hope this is a little help for you, when are you going to oz?

Tracey[/QUOTE]
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 11:08 am
vivi

vivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nice

My first reply to anything, so lets just see where it ends up! (ie am I typing in the right place)...

Have booked flights for 28 March. Going first to New Zealand to stay with sister who emigrated from UK 4 years back. Then arranging flight to Brisbane, hiring a car, sorting out short term holiday let, looking round, sorting out 6 month rental, enroling son at school, finding a job. Maybe not in that order, but that is kind of the plan. My wife applied for a spouses visa and from start to finish took less than 3 years - mainly us holding it up over Christmas sorting out witness statements and stuff. Can't wait, but maybe stepping into the unknown...

Tracey
[/QUOTE]
Andy, where will you be working, only asking as it will be relevant to whereyou move. We moved to Morayfield, and to be honest couldn't wait to go so sold after only 6 months. Now living up in Maroochyshire. Our choice more rural, cleaner and quieter. MorayfieldsCaboolture is getting a bit of a name.....hoonsville (sorry to all that live there) It depends on the lifestyle you want. Real Estae Agents have said that Caboolture will become an overspill from the CBD. Again only my opinion.
However the place does have a lot of good facilities etc, but just not us.
Good Luck anyway.
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

S J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant future

Andy, where will you be working, only asking as it will be relevant to whereyou move. We moved to Morayfield, and to be honest couldn't wait to go so sold after only 6 months. Now living up in Maroochyshire. Our choice more rural, cleaner and quieter. MorayfieldsCaboolture is getting a bit of a name.....hoonsville (sorry to all that live there) It depends on the lifestyle you want. Real Estae Agents have said that Caboolture will become an overspill from the CBD. Again only my opinion.
However the place does have a lot of good facilities etc, but just not us.
Good Luck anyway. [/QUOTE]

Hi

I have worked in both Caboolture and Morayfield high schools. Caboolture does have a reputation of being a bit rough around th edges - but the surrounding areas are nice and Caboolture centre does have plenty of facilities. Tullawong high school in Caboolture does seem very good. Morayfield - well the high School itself felt a lot rougher than most schools that I have worked in. but that is only my feeling. There is a big shopping centre and plenty of facilities. I have friends who live in a very quiet rural area close to Morayfield and it is very nice.
The hospital at caboolture has been having problems lately - had to shut emergency for a while as a shortage of doctors - this problem with recruitment and retention surprised me due to the hospital being communtable from the sunshine Coast and Brisbane. Seems to be sorted for now and has reopened again.
I would visit, talk to lots of people and get a good feel of the areas you may be interested in.
Sorry cant remember if you have kids??
Caboolture is a good 30 minute drive to beaches - probably Bribie Island is closest for you.
Well enjoy your trip
SJ
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future

I think the best thing to do is visit the place when you arrive.

It really depends on where your coming from in the UK.

If you're used to living the the more welltodo parts of the UK, then Caboolture and Morayfield will look rough round the edges.

If you're coming from some of the rougher areas of the UK, then Caboolture and Morayfield will look wonderfull.

If you're like the majority who live in ok areas that could be worse but could be better, then I don't think you'd have many problems. But you need to visit first.
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

Andy,

If you have to drive in to Brisbane the journey is a shocker and getting worse.

You really only have 2 options:

Bruce Highway and then Gateway (the Gateway is shocking)
Bruce Highway and then Gympie Arterial (more lights that you can shake a stick at)

The train would certainly be the best bet.

You are right in that you can get a bigger bang for your buck property wise. Other areas to look at are Narangba and maybe North Lakes a bit further south.