Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

C4 Series: A New Life DownUnder - realisitc?

Wikiposts

C4 Series: A New Life DownUnder - realisitc?

Old Dec 29th 2003, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

We watched several of these shows while in the UK, quite interesting angle on them for people who have actually lived in OZ.

Firstly some of the "facts" on areas here seem way off the mark from reality. Secondly the bits you know as an aussie are skipped over, like the cheap luxury houses in QLD episode, it just forgot to mention that the area was 22 HOURS drive from Brisbane. I watched two shows with 3 aussies none thought the "facts" presented were anywhere near reality.

However, they do cover the stress angle quite well. Look at it like this, forget you are emigrating for a minute, imagine your life in the UK if both partners became unemployed and had to find new jobs in a different job market, quite possibly drop your income, all your contacts/family were taken away, kids had to say goodbye to friends/family and start again. Add house buying in a area you dont know, have all your local knowledge of roads rules etc taken away, face all new situations and hope the entire family feel the same way about them!!!!!!!!

Just one of those scenes would cause stress even if undertaken just up the road from where you live now so it always seems obvious to me that emigrating anywhere is going to be stressful and may put a strain on family relationships.