Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bye Bye Decent Shopping - Amazon to block Australian customers

Bye Bye Decent Shopping - Amazon to block Australian customers

Old Jul 8th 2018, 8:11 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bye Bye Decent Shopping - Amazon to block Australian customers

Originally Posted by ebo1608
I thought I wasn't allowed to access Amazon US? I've just been on it and asked it to show me stuff that can be shipped to Aus. Anybody being redirected to Aus?
In the UK at present but I'll be doing some testing when I get back next week.
Old Jul 8th 2018, 9:02 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly looks like we can still order from Amazon US,
Old Jul 8th 2018, 9:00 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Certainly looks like we can still order from Amazon US,
We can order - but can't ship non-digital items to an Australian address (well, I can't anyway)
Same on the Amazon UK site, so we should be good for sending gifts within UK, and I haven't had any issues buying kindle books from the UK site either.
Old Jul 8th 2018, 10:48 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by staticmelt
Isn't it a good thing that GST will be charged on imports?

Online retailers already have a massive advantage over bricks and mortar shops due to both efficiencies and corporate tax evasion.

Previously allowing online retailers to sell goods without GST seems madness.

Our high streets will be dead in the future if we allow that to continue, and thousands of jobs will be lost.

We have to allow high street retailers (including independents) to be able to operate on a level playing field. Introducing GST on imports is a small step towards that.

Are you Gerry Harvey?

s
Old Jul 9th 2018, 2:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't it a good thing that GST will be charged on imports?
Yes. Same as everyone else.

Online retailers already have a massive advantage over bricks and mortar shops due to both efficiencies and corporate tax evasion.
However, they don't have the floor presence, they can't exist in shopping centres, and they rarely provide Q&A.

This is why the shopping centre of the future is a place people go to experience shopping and much more live in the flesh. Those centres that don't change, won't survive.

The high street is now a place for coffee, lunch, groceries, and boutiques. Not a Dixons or Dick Smiths

Previously allowing online retailers to sell goods without GST seems madness.

Our high streets will be dead in the future if we allow that to continue, and thousands of jobs will be lost.
Hundreds of thousands of jobs have already been gained in online retail and its indirect industries such as logistics.

If your TV salesman wants to stay on the high street he needs to become a barista.

Only job gains here I am afraid.

We have to allow high street retailers (including independents) to be able to operate on a level playing field. Introducing GST on imports is a small step towards that.
GST'ing everything is fair. Not sure you will ever get an even playing field. Different industries now. Both evolving in different directions. Nature of the beast.
Old Jul 9th 2018, 1:26 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
We can order - but can't ship non-digital items to an Australian address (well, I can't anyway)
Bugger
Originally Posted by Dreamy
Same on the Amazon UK site, so we should be good for sending gifts within UK, and I haven't had any issues buying kindle books from the UK site either.
thats something I guess, not a total stuff-up
Old Jul 11th 2018, 12:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I am curious did Australia make the collecting of GST difficult or a pain somehow that Amazon is not willing to deal with it?

If we in Canada order from the US site and ship to Canada, Amazon just adds the applicable tax to the total, but I have no idea how the back end works. So its not like Amazon is new at the whole collecting taxes for international orders.

Unless shipping to Australia has become too costly and they feel its not worth it and using the tax issue as the excuse?
Old Jul 11th 2018, 1:49 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I am curious did Australia make the collecting of GST difficult or a pain somehow that Amazon is not willing to deal with it?
My guess is it is a shot across the bows of every tin pot dictatorship that thinks it's going to impose national tax laws on international entities. 'Try it on and we'll cut you off', is the message. They can get away with it in Australia because they have set up a national presence that they can route things via - but they don't want others getting the idea and then expecting Amazon to act as unpaid tax collectors for them.

And don't be surprised in Trump eventually works out that requiring US companies to recognise and pay tax on sales in the US is what looks like a nice money earner. Nations responses to trade being global have been tending towards trying to impose their laws on overseas nationals, and that's going to come to blows sooner or later.
Old Jul 17th 2018, 10:56 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana

A VPN will allow access as they won't know we are in Aus, although we still have the problem that they may not deliver to Aus addresses. At least with a VPN we can order stuff to be delivered to the UK. We will have to wait and see whether people in the UK ordering stuff to be sent to friends in Aus are able to do so, or whether there will be a blanket ban on deliveries to Australia ( no more Christmas pressies coming my way then!)
But without a VPN any IP address detected as being in Aus will divert the site to the Aussie site - which is less use than a dead dog. Many people here don't have VPNs and when you are at work etc they don't often allow them. I recently did a big order of textbooks for work through Amazon UK as even with shipping it was cheaper than Amazon Au - but I did it from wirk and we have no VPN axxess there so unde the new regime I could not have done the order.
You don't need a VPN (I think) - just go online and in your Amazon account you can change address - I have addresses in Oz, the USA and UK. Until now I've been able to switch Amazon addresses amazon.com.au /.uk at will and after ordering select the delivery address. If they block Oz deliveries on .com I will have to look on EBay or have the things delivered to "my" UK/US address - but how long friends will BE friends is the question!
Old Jul 17th 2018, 1:04 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Wol
You don't need a VPN (I think) - just go online and in your Amazon account you can change address - I have addresses in Oz, the USA and UK. Until now I've been able to switch Amazon addresses amazon.com.au /.uk at will and after ordering select the delivery address. If they block Oz deliveries on .com I will have to look on EBay or have the things delivered to "my" UK/US address - but how long friends will BE friends is the question!
I already have addresses in four countries. And I have a VPN I use for Iplayer. However I haven't yet found anything that I want on Amazon au, Thats why I want to order from Amazon UK using an Australian address. I also want to order from Amazon UK for UK delivery, that seems to be ok.
Attempting to order books from Amazon UK tonight with an Australian delivery address produces an error that says

We are unable to ship non-digital items from amazon.co.uk to Australian shipping addresses.
Please choose a shipping address that is not in Australia to proceed.

These same books were ordered by me and delivered to me here in Aus with no issue only 6 weeks ago.

Pathetic.
Old Jul 18th 2018, 7:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Remember this screw up when you vote - its all thanks to Hockey, Abbott, Morrison and Trunbull....
Screw Up? You mean closing a GST loophole.

Imagine the comedy value if your mates in the ALP put the reopening of a tax loophole on as an election promise.
Old Jul 25th 2018, 12:18 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Just to say that I've just got a parcel from the UK, from Amazon via my sis. No sign of tampering, attempts to extort fees, etc. and it was sent on the 19th - so 6 days door to door.
Old Jul 25th 2018, 2:08 am
Home and Happy

Just to say that I've just got a parcel from the UK, from Amazon via my sis. No sign of tampering, attempts to extort fees, etc. and it was sent on the 19th - so 6 days door to door.
Which Amazon site was it ordered from?
I've tried Amazon UK for several things, given up and resorted to ebay.
Old Jul 25th 2018, 2:21 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Which Amazon site was it ordered from?
I've tried Amazon UK for several things, given up and resorted to ebay.
UK, but I got my sister to order and receive it. More interested in if customs would become a problem, and it seems not. Hell, 6 days is pretty good for Oz customs, and it includes a weekend.
Old Jul 25th 2018, 2:33 am
Home and Happy

UK, but I got my sister to order and receive it. More interested in if customs would become a problem, and it seems not. Hell, 6 days is pretty good for Oz customs, and it includes a weekend.
I see, thought you meant it came direct from Amazon. If its a 'gift' from your sister its not liable for GST
Good to know the mail is fast again though - guess its cos no-one is buying from Amazon!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.