Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

buying or renting?

buying or renting?

Old Jan 16th 2004, 1:09 pm
Where's the bbq?

wandrews will become famous soon enoughwandrews will become famous soon enough
Question buying or renting?

Whilst I agree this topic is open to personal preference, but thought I'd ask, people reason's for either buying or renting when first getting to OZ.

Did you rent, simply because you could get a mortgage straight away?

Did you buy, because you had enough dough!

Did you rent because you wanted to be absolutely sure about the area?
Old Jan 16th 2004, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

railman2404 is an unknown quantity at this point

good question that will be interesting to see results
Old Jan 16th 2004, 1:16 pm
Where's the bbq?

wandrews will become famous soon enoughwandrews will become famous soon enough
Default Re: buying or renting?

Originally posted by wandrews
Whilst I agree this topic is open to personal preference, but thought I'd ask, people reason's for either buying or renting when first getting to OZ.

This Did you rent, simply because you could get a mortgage straight away? should have read couldn't get a mortgage.

I wonder if the ACS monitor this group for dyslexic typist's
Old Jan 16th 2004, 1:16 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Looking back we would have done things slightly different.

We rented when we first got to Perth then after four months we bought a property. Now we are returning to the UK we have the hassle of selling. We should have rented for a longer period, but we have made lots of $'s on the house since the price increase so it's not all bad!!
Old Jan 16th 2004, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud of

In my opinion you would be crazy to buy as soon as you get there (unless you have lived there before), and that applies to the UK too - I have moved around a lot and always have rented because I never felt that anywhere so far was nice enough to make a permanent base. Hopefully in either Sydney or Melbourne (see my other thread) I will find that place and settle down for a change!

It actually amazed me to see just how many people on that "A new life fown under" programme rushed into buying a house.

Mummy
Old Jan 16th 2004, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud of

In my opinion you would be crazy to buy as soon as you get there (unless you have lived there before), and that applies to the UK too - I have moved around a lot and always have rented because I never felt that anywhere so far was nice enough to make a permanent base. Hopefully in either Sydney or Melbourne (see my other thread) I will find that place and settle down for a change!

It actually amazed me to see just how many people on that "A new life down under" programme rushed into buying a house.

Mummy
Old Jan 16th 2004, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

We will be renting in Sydney for at least a year, possibly two, until we are sure we like it and are staying in Oz. Also,

- property market in Sydney has topped and I reckon will fall over next two years (or not go up,so not missing no boat)

- loads of rentals available because of buy-to-let investment boom, so good choice and cheaper prices

- if we pick a duff area we can always try somewhere else after the tenancy finishes

Just have to find somewhere to put the equity from the UK house sale where it won't all get spent !!!!
Old Jan 16th 2004, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

scotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the rough
Default Edit / delete post

Quick one for Mummy and Wandrews - no need to re-sumit a reply to correct any mistakes, just use the edit/delete at the bottom of the text window - saves alot of time

Regards

Scot
Old Jan 16th 2004, 2:50 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Edit / delete post

Originally posted by scotvness
Quick one for Mummy and Wandrews - no need to re-sumit a reply to correct any mistakes, just use the edit/delete at the bottom of the text window - saves alot of time

Regards

Scot
alternatively if ur filthy rich buy a place and rent it out

<we want to buy soon as we go, but know we cannot, for the following reasons. we have more than 2 dogs so under aussie law, in many territories , more than 2 dogs is considered a hobby kennel mad but true

So we need to apply for a dog search LMAO, apparently they see who else within 1km of the boundary of the property also has more than 2 dogs, and if they dont WooooHOooo ...however we cant get that info on line only via a personal search in oz, and with an agent..

so renting is for us ...... but

you face the same if not bigger problem here also, as the owner of the property gets to stick his 4 penneth in too... so what do we do...

have the dogs euthenased NOOOOO WAYY !!
or do we fib a bit < me never
or doya do research in the uk and make an offer on house ?? nope cant cos of a FIRB rules , pmsl so my whole advice is . buy some land in the northern territorys immediately, shuv a shed on it and commute via a plane to work every day...

dya think itll work !?
Old Jan 16th 2004, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

We bought straight away !! For us it was the right thing in establishing ourselves here.Also we could not see the point of paying out rent and see the house purchase as an investment

We were in email contact with a really wonderful and helpful estate agent. We had emailed Harcourts from the UK about a couple of properties we had seen on the net and had such a lovely reply from Ruth. {Other agents from different companies just gave one line replies or said wait until we get here} Guess who got the sale commission ....Ruth.

We arrived Auckland on the Tuesday, drove to Rotorua Friday, viewed houses over the week end and put an offer in on the Monday on what is our present home. {Only viewed vacant houses and this one wasn't actually up with Harcourts}. Two weeks later it was ours and we moved in.

Now thats efficient.
Knew the house needed some work done to it, mostly superficial stuff and so it's a 2 year project for us.

Could understand why some people may have been put off from buying it, as the gardens were so over grown {see past postss about chain saws} and the kitchen was grotty. But we now have a fabulous and huge 5 bed house in a lovely area of town with great neighbours and a top school 5 minutes walk away.

Gill and Rob
Old Jan 16th 2004, 8:36 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

good reasons to rent then buy

- make a mistake cost of buying (stamp duties) and selling (estate agents) are expensive
- if choose a new house, take 1 yr to build
- unknown of where job will be
- lack of knowledge of areas, good areas, bad areas etc
- get to know prices for areas, thus don't start paying over odds

well those are some of my reasons
Old Jan 16th 2004, 8:45 pm
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute

firstly arrive safely( hopefully meet and greet sa)move into temporarily arranged accomadation ,do intensive investigation into schools amenities etc then rent,find work hopefully in desired area and contemplate buying house sounds easy (yeah right)
Old Jan 16th 2004, 9:46 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sjn2003
We will be renting in Sydney for at least a year, possibly two, until we are sure we like it and are staying in Oz. Also,

- property market in Sydney has topped and I reckon will fall over next two years (or not go up,so not missing no boat)

- loads of rentals available because of buy-to-let investment boom, so good choice and cheaper prices

- if we pick a duff area we can always try somewhere else after the tenancy finishes

Just have to find somewhere to put the equity from the UK house sale where it won't all get spent !!!!
That is what I am hoping for but I think the drops will be marginal and not in the areas I want to live in. The biggest drop will be in investment Units. North shore and Eastern Burbs prices I think will stay stubbornly high. I believe some of the Western Sydney prices will drop especially the Kellyville Mc Mansions.
Old Jan 16th 2004, 11:43 pm
Merlot

Originally posted by walaj
good reasons to rent then buy

- make a mistake cost of buying (stamp duties) and selling (estate agents) are expensive
- if choose a new house, take 1 yr to build
- unknown of where job will be
- lack of knowledge of areas, good areas, bad areas etc
- get to know prices for areas, thus don't start paying over odds

well those are some of my reasons

Totally agree with this one, at least for the first 6 to 12 months. As noted on this site many people genuinely get homesick and then just decide to go back to the UK in this time span.

If you do make it through the first 12 months, and many of us have here in Oz, you can pick the area best for you.