Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying a property in Oz

Buying a property in Oz

Old Aug 1st 2005, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

strewth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a property in Oz

Hi! My boyfriend is from Brisbane but we both live in my home town, Dublin Ireland. I recently got residency and want to move to Oz with him. Is it possible to organise an Australian mortgage from Ireland or would we be better off renting for a while when we get there and then buying?
Old Aug 1st 2005, 2:11 pm
Nicest member ( I think)

meelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a property in Oz

Originally Posted by strewth
Hi! My boyfriend is from Brisbane but we both live in my home town, Dublin Ireland. I recently got residency and want to move to Oz with him. Is it possible to organise an Australian mortgage from Ireland or would we be better off renting for a while when we get there and then buying?
I personally think you would be better off renting initally so that you can 'suss out' where you want to live. As for a mortgage, I don't think it likely they would give you one if you weren't in employment,but I don't really know.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 12:46 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Buying a property in Oz

Originally Posted by strewth
It is possible. I know of one person who has done it, but..... he had an income from the UK that was going to be continuing whilst he lived in Australia.

Other than that, I think it very unlikely. Although you can get mortgages pretty quickly once here, and working, if you have a reasonable deposit.

I do agree with meelie, that looking round before buying has advantages.