Buying a PC?

Old May 31st 2003, 1:39 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Buying a PC?

Now this may sound strange from someone who is clearly using a computer at the moment, but I need some advice on buying my first PC!!
At present I have use of one at work, once I move to Brisbane I lose that, and we will need one! So, I'm looking for advice - anyone got any views on whether I should buy one here and ship it, or would it be cheaper to buy in Oz? I just want something basic with things like Microsoft Office, and to use for internet access
Also if I buy here, would it work over there (I know most electrical stuff does, but I know NOWT about computers!)
All comments gratefully received!
Old May 31st 2003, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

edwin is an unknown quantity at this point

Pc's are quite expensive in Oz compared to Europe.I'm in Holland so i don't know the exact prices in England but my English friends tell me that it's cheaper to buy one in England then Australia.
Pc's will work there as well,just need to change the plugs or get other power cables there.There might be a problem with the screen but a good screen should be adjustable(something to do with the southern hemisphere).Laptop/notebook is no problem @ all..took mine last december with me and worked like a breeze,just needed another powercable/convertor so i think TFT screens are not affected by being on the other end of the world.
The only thing is to keep in mind that you will probably have to pay some tax because the pc isn't older then a year.

[edit] me and my thick fingers..typo's
Old May 31st 2003, 2:11 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

OK, thats the sort of info I was after, so it sounds like I should buy it here - who knows, if I can make it look battered enough it could look a year old by November!!
Thanks for the help.
Old May 31st 2003, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

edwin is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.ht.com.au/Scripts/xworks.exe?M

http://www.pcsystems.com.au/

some websites with hardware in Oz..compare it with the english vendors
Old May 31st 2003, 2:39 pm
We arrived november 2004

kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buying a PC?

Originally posted by Pollyana
Now this may sound strange from someone who is clearly using a computer at the moment, but I need some advice on buying my first PC!!
At present I have use of one at work, once I move to Brisbane I lose that, and we will need one! So, I'm looking for advice - anyone got any views on whether I should buy one here and ship it, or would it be cheaper to buy in Oz? I just want something basic with things like Microsoft Office, and to use for internet access
Also if I buy here, would it work over there (I know most electrical stuff does, but I know NOWT about computers!)
All comments gratefully received!

Just done a little bit of research for you on this.

Certainly the ads in Australian papers make the prices look fairly similar so I choose a large worldwide supplier and specified a PC based on your needs (you can get this price down but I had to add extras in both countries to make the specs match)

OK, this is based on a Dell 8300 home/office PC with a 2.8ghz P4 running XP Home and MS Office small business edition. More than enough for your needs and should last you a good few years.

Cost in UK with tax and delivery £1003.31
Cost in Aus with tax and delivery $2643.30

That makes the Aus one about $100 more expensive (although the current Aus offer does include a 'free' digital camera).

For that $100 of course you would be getting a PC with the right plugs fitted and, more importantly a local service contract.

Your call in the end, both will work perfectly out there. I tend to do my own servicing but in your place that Australian guarentee would probably tip the balance for me.

Refs:
http://www.euro.dell.com/countries/u...en/default.htm
http://www.ap.dell.com/ap/au/en/dhs/default.htm

Cheers

Perry
Old May 31st 2003, 7:13 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Perry - nobody else said it so I will even though I'm going to NZ not Aus: YOU'RE a STAR!!! Well done mate.

PS what about NZ?

Cheers - Don

Originally posted by kentcoast
Just done a little bit of research for you on this.

Certainly the ads in Australian papers make the prices look fairly similar so I choose a large worldwide supplier and specified a PC based on your needs (you can get this price down but I had to add extras in both countries to make the specs match)

OK, this is based on a Dell 8300 home/office PC with a 2.8ghz P4 running XP Home and MS Office small business edition. More than enough for your needs and should last you a good few years.

Cost in UK with tax and delivery £1003.31
Cost in Aus with tax and delivery $2643.30

That makes the Aus one about $100 more expensive (although the current Aus offer does include a 'free' digital camera).

For that $100 of course you would be getting a PC with the right plugs fitted and, more importantly a local service contract.

Your call in the end, both will work perfectly out there. I tend to do my own servicing but in your place that Australian guarentee would probably tip the balance for me.

Refs:
http://www.euro.dell.com/countries/u...en/default.htm
http://www.ap.dell.com/ap/au/en/dhs/default.htm

Cheers

Perry
Old May 31st 2003, 7:43 pm
We arrived november 2004

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Perry - nobody else said it so I will even though I'm going to NZ not Aus: YOU'RE a STAR!!! Well done mate.

PS what about NZ?

Cheers - Don

Now I'm embarrassed....

The same kit in NZ from dell.co.nz set up in the same way (also has the same free camera) comes in at $2982.38nz Imake that about £1050

Cheers

Perry
Old May 31st 2003, 7:54 pm
Don
Banned

Cheers Perry, don't know much about computers etc but I guess you mean that's a good set-up for the money, doesn't sound too awful bad value.

Thanks again.

Cheers - Don
Old May 31st 2003, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

The only thing is to keep in mind that you will probably have to pay some tax because the pc isn't older then a year.
Whos to know?
Old Jun 1st 2003, 4:22 am
Forum Regular

Akaubear is an unknown quantity at this point

Just be aware that if you're buying from Dell, then, from my experience, it's "hell" getting spare parts..... (I'm in NZ)

Nicola.
Old Jun 1st 2003, 5:13 am
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

It must be cheaper buying from PC World over here, they are so cheap at the moment.
Old Jun 1st 2003, 8:49 am
We arrived november 2004

Originally posted by paulf
It must be cheaper buying from PC World over here, they are so cheap at the moment.
Without a doubt, the only reason I chose Dell was because they are an international name and it was possible to do a direct like-for-like comparison. I also agree with the previous poster about Dell parts - although well designed they do tend to be custom fitted so that only Dell parts fit dell machines - makes any serious upgrades v. difficult. However as user-friendly 'appliances' they're amongst the best on the market.

I tend to stay away from PC World/Dixons/Curries etc - the stuff that they sell is rarely as cheap as it looks when compared with the direct channel suppliers.

I get lots of enquiries at work from users who want to buy home machines and over the years I've found it best to tailor the answer to the user - PC World etc only gets recommended to those who know absolutly nothing about computers and are never likely to want to know anything about them either.

Anyone who knows a bit more or is willing to learn gets pointed to the direct suppliers like Evesham, Mesh etc.

There are an increasing number of PC retailer stores opening up in oz to compare with PC World - here's a couple of examples from the Adelaide Advertiser (all prices in $au): IT Warehouse - Home office system based on a P1.8 $1299 . Buisiness system based on P2.4 $1599. Computer Depot has a really nice looking setup based on a P2.53 with flat screen, good graphics card and all the trimmings at $2049. There are plenty more.

I guess that what I'm saying is that the price difference for someone about to go out is so small that it is probably better to buy out there. Two main reasons:
1. No risk of damage in transit.
2. Unlike cameras and some other tech kit computers tend not to have world-wide guarentees so if your new PC goes wrong a week after arriving you could be on your own.

All the best

Perry
Old Jun 1st 2003, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

TIZUS is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pleasancefamily

PS what about NZ?

Cheers - Don
Hi Don

Try this site out www.pcsale.co.nz they will build a computer to your specification. I know nothing about computers but my brother (who does!) was over earlier in the year and I asked him to help. He seems to think we will be much better off buying one in Nz

Hope this helps
Tori
Old Jun 1st 2003, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

by them time you've had it shipped over from the uk it will be

a out of date
b gone down in price in au

plus the hassle of g.tee etc
make sense to spec it right and buy it over there ..

cheers

richard
Old Jun 1st 2003, 5:37 pm
Don
Banned

Originally posted by TIZUS
Hi Don

Try this site out www.pcsale.co.nz they will build a computer to your specification. I know nothing about computers but my brother (who does!) was over earlier in the year and I asked him to help. He seems to think we will be much better off buying one in Nz

Hope this helps
Tori
Cheers Tori, I know more about mushrooms with a cheesy bit in the middle than computers so will check out the site.

Cheers - Don

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.