Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying over a certain Acreage stops Penison???

Buying over a certain Acreage stops Penison???

Old Jan 24th 2006, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

stokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Buying over a certain Acreage stops Penison???

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The UK only has one main government (not sure about Scotland /Wales?), we have 9 ? They cost money to run

So much space to look after, not enough population (taxpayers) to pay for it all easily.

No easy answers.
Yeah but we fund Ireland and Spain
Old Jan 24th 2006, 10:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Are they really so much higher?

I'm finally earning the same here in the UK that I did back home in Australia, but losing the same amount in tax and NI. The NI component is particularly annoying, since (a) it is so obscenely large, and (b) I will never benefit from it.

I have also noticed that VAT in the UK (17.5%) is a lot higher than GST in Australia (10%.) So I'm actually paying nearly twice as much sales tax here, than I did back home.

When comparing Australia with other countries, the ATO (Australian Taxation Office) employs the following criteria:

For the purposes of comparison, countries have been
chosen that import capital, are potential destinations for permanent Australian emigrants, have comparable welfare systems, and whose governments provide similar services.
Source.

That sounds pretty reasonable to me.

The Australian taxation system also has many more grades than the UK system:

This table also shows that the Australian personal income tax system, in comparison with these particular countries, is unique, in that it features a zero tax rate for the first $6 000 and has more steps in its scale.

Within the OECD only Luxembourg, Portugal, Switzerland and the United States have more steps in their personal income tax scales than Australia. It is difficult to assess the impact of these tax structures from such a table, but one can gain an appreciation of this impact by observing the average percentage of income paid as tax at various incomes levels.
Source.

For example:

Australia
0% tax up to $6000

16.5% tax up to $21 600

31.5% tax up to $63 000

43.5% tax up to $95 000

48.5% on $95 000+
Source.

Compared with:

UK
10% tax up to $4990

22% tax up to $77 381

40% on $77 381+
Source.

So we see that the lowest earners actually pay less tax in Australia than in the UK.
And VAT has been around a lot longer, for over 30 years - it was introduced as a requirement for Britain's admission into the (then) EEC in 1973 and it has been increased a number of times to its current level of 17.5%. GST was only recently introduced and at 10% there is scope for future increases in the rate.

VAT was intended to finance Britain's contributions to the EEC so it is good to know when I pay VAT on nearly everything that I am keeping farmers around Europe (particularly France) in a wealthier lifestyle. I can also see my subsidies at work in Ireland which joined the EEC at the same time as Britain but has done so well out of its 'poor member' status that it has overtaken Britain in the GDP per capita stakes and has reversed its diaspora - net immigration rather than the centuries of net emigration for Ireland now.

OzTennis
Old Jan 24th 2006, 10:57 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Buying over a certain Acreage stops Penison???

Originally Posted by OzTennis
And VAT has been around a lot longer, for over 30 years - it was introduced as a requirement for Britain's admission into the (then) EEC in 1973 and it has been increased a number of times to its current level of 17.5%. GST was only recently introduced and at 10% there is scope for future increases in the rate.

VAT was intended to finance Britain's contributions to the EEC so it is good to know when I pay VAT on nearly everything that I am keeping farmers around Europe (particularly France) in a wealthier lifestyle. I can also see my subsidies at work in Ireland which joined the EEC at the same time as Britain but has done so well out of its 'poor member' status that it has overtaken Britain in the GDP per capita stakes and has reversed its diaspora - net immigration rather than the centuries of net emigration for Ireland now.

OzTennis
Old Jan 25th 2006, 12:11 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by OzTennis
GST was only recently introduced and at 10% there is scope for future increases in the rate.
GST was introduced here to replace the older Wholesale Sales Tax system, where the tax was charged before it reached the customer, of whom many were not even aware of the old tax at the time.

The old WST rates varied from 11% up to 33%, and all this was dropped down to the current 10%.

To change the rate, either up or down, needs the agreement of all State Governments and the Federal Government, something that rarely happens

Old Jan 25th 2006, 6:34 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Buying over a certain Acreage stops Penison???

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
GST was introduced here to replace the older Wholesale Sales Tax system, where the tax was charged before it reached the customer, of whom many were not even aware of the old tax at the time.

The old WST rates varied from 11% up to 33%, and all this was dropped down to the current 10%.
Yes indeed. I remember when the nation was consumed with this debate; I, too, had worried about the effect of the GST on my weekly shopping bill, until it was brought home to me that I was already paying sales tax - and in many cases, at a higher rate than Howard was proposing!

So I was in favour of the GST myself.

To change the rate, either up or down, needs the agreement of all State Governments and the Federal Government, something that rarely happens
And that's the understatement of the century!
Old Jan 25th 2006, 7:37 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Buying a few acres def starts some debate..LOL.. and reading between the lines I might as well still buy it as I'm stitched which ever way I go... .

At least I can sell the acres later and may make more than the pension that way.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by annqldau
Hi,

I could be being totally wound up here but I have been told that buying over a certain Acreage stops your Aus state penison???

Does anyone know if this is true?

Just before I buy 43 acres etc. to find i'm then a skint pensioner... .
Yes. It is it is intended to stop cashed up retirees buying up land that in the future will be developed into residential estates due to urban creep. Retirees then claimed the pension on the basis they were cash poor (yet asset rich).

This stops the taxpayer supporting those that are financially capable of looking after themselves.

The downside is those pensioners who originally bought the land a long time ago when it was way out in the sticks and cheap. Urban growth has pushed up the value of the land, forcing these pensioners to sell up.

If you were to buy 43 acres of bushland a 200kms from any major centre will probably not attract a lot of attention. Really close to an urban centre with beach frontage would be a different case.....

WW
Old Jan 25th 2006, 8:09 pm
Fighting my corner

Question Re: Buying over a certain Acreage stops Penison???

Originally Posted by annqldau
Buying a few acres def starts some debate..LOL.. and reading between the lines I might as well still buy it as I'm stitched which ever way I go... .

At least I can sell the acres later and may make more than the pension that way.
How many acres are you buying? If it's only a handful, the government won't bat an eyelid.

And if you've got the money to buy whole acreage, surely you're not intending to rely on the Australian pension in your old age anyway?

I'd certainly hope not.