Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying New Things To Take With You?

Buying New Things To Take With You?

Old Jun 17th 2006, 1:54 pm
brown eyes!

pete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of light
Cool Buying New Things To Take With You?

Hi there, I have heard that if you buy new things to take in the container you have to pay tax on them when you get over there?? Is this true? Do to just make them look like they have been used before?? Thanks everyone. Pete
Old Jun 17th 2006, 1:59 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying New Things To Take With You?

Originally Posted by pete jackson
Hi there, I have heard that if you buy new things to take in the container you have to pay tax on them when you get over there?? Is this true? Do to just make them look like they have been used before?? Thanks everyone. Pete
remove the price tags
Old Jun 17th 2006, 2:26 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Officially, you should declare everything less than 12 months old.

Unofficially, Customs are really looking for people buying loads of new stuff with an eye to selling it and making a profit. Remove the price tags, don't pack the receipts in the boxes, just be sensible

One tip Customs gave me - if its a brand new model of computer, for instance, they will KNOW its not a year old, then they may feel obliged to take note........
Old Jun 17th 2006, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

Would think carefully about buying too much new stuff to take with you.
As well as the cost of buying it, you then have the cost of shipping it - If you want to buy new then wouldn't it make more sense, where possible, to buy it over there?
Haven't noticed anything being much more expensive there.
And if it's stuff for the house, you'll have a better idea of what you need once you've moved into a place there. If it's electrical stuff, you will have the correct plugs/settings etc if you buy over there.
Just my opinion, of course
Don't know if anyone has experience of this one way or the other?
Old Jun 17th 2006, 3:53 pm
brown eyes!

pete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of light
Cool Re: Buying New Things To Take With You?

Originally Posted by DianneH68
Would think carefully about buying too much new stuff to take with you.
As well as the cost of buying it, you then have the cost of shipping it - If you want to buy new then wouldn't it make more sense, where possible, to buy it over there?
Haven't noticed anything being much more expensive there.
And if it's stuff for the house, you'll have a better idea of what you need once you've moved into a place there. If it's electrical stuff, you will have the correct plugs/settings etc if you buy over there.
Just my opinion, of course
Don't know if anyone has experience of this one way or the other?
What I want to buy is a tool box for work as mine needs replacing, it a cracking deal and its worth the price, thats why ive been thinking about getting it here and taking it with me. pete.
Old Jun 17th 2006, 4:01 pm
Living in the sun

connollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to behold

What I want to buy is a tool box for work as mine needs replacing, it a cracking deal and its worth the price, thats why ive been thinking about getting it here and taking it with me. pete.

If its a Snap on or the like............ get it here........ as the prices on Oz ebay are very high for snap on tools so the cost of new will be to

Martin
Old Jun 17th 2006, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

bradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to all

If it's a good deal Pete..then do it...Although I bought all my new tools and gear over here.Also...we bought absolutely loads of new gear and brought it with us.
I would be interested to know if anyone has had to pay customs duty on any new goods found in their container!!!!!.....All our new gear was left in original sales boxes with prices on and just wrapped by the packers!!! No probs this end.
Good Luck..
Ian
Old Jun 17th 2006, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebears
remove the price tags
oh im so glad i read this thread. I have a leather suite only 7 months old. didnt cost a lot but wanted to take that and some kitchen equipment that is also under a year old. I was going to declare the lot!!!!

wont now as i want to take a few things not much more that whats listed above apart from my bed..new as well..so was hopeing the cost of shipping would be cheaper than buying new again. might need about 1/4 of container..

thanks for the info though.

regards
lolly
Old Jun 17th 2006, 4:51 pm
brown eyes!

Originally Posted by bradfordlad
If it's a good deal Pete..then do it...Although I bought all my new tools and gear over here.Also...we bought absolutely loads of new gear and brought it with us.
I would be interested to know if anyone has had to pay customs duty on any new goods found in their container!!!!!.....All our new gear was left in original sales boxes with prices on and just wrapped by the packers!!! No probs this end.
Good Luck..
Ian
Hi Ian, how to you find tool prices compared to uk prices??
Old Jun 17th 2006, 4:53 pm
We're here in Brissie

Fionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really nice

Originally Posted by lollyno1
oh im so glad i read this thread. I have a leather suite only 7 months old. didnt cost a lot but wanted to take that and some kitchen equipment that is also under a year old. I was going to declare the lot!!!!

wont now as i want to take a few things not much more that whats listed above apart from my bed..new as well..so was hopeing the cost of shipping would be cheaper than buying new again. might need about 1/4 of container..

thanks for the info though.

regards
lolly
Does this also apply to gifts? All our wedding gifts will be being shipped over and we were going to leave them in their boxes until we got there!!
Old Jun 17th 2006, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fionast
Does this also apply to gifts? All our wedding gifts will be being shipped over and we were going to leave them in their boxes until we got there!!

not sure about that...ive still got the boxes for my microwave,toaster,etc as and im going to put them in there...so hopefully someone will be along soon to anser our query..

regards

lolly
Old Jun 17th 2006, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lollyno1
not sure about that...ive still got the boxes for my microwave,toaster,etc as and im going to put them in there...so hopefully someone will be along soon to anser our query..

regards

lolly
We bought quite a few new things over still in boxes all our shippers did (pickfords) was wrap the items in export wrap (brown bubble wrap) which is what they do to all stuff not in boxes and as they don't list weather they are new or not on the inventory it's not a problem, customs won't unwrap everything !
Old Jun 17th 2006, 10:49 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fionast
We left ours in the boxes - on the basis they had already been in storage since 2001 - Kept using our old stuff knowing we would eventually either move house (not just sure whether in UK or other country).
Old Jun 17th 2006, 11:50 pm
We're here in Brissie

Fionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really nice

Thankyou - I was wondering how it would work when they are gifts and we obviously don't have the receipt for them.

Fiona
Old Jun 18th 2006, 3:52 am
Forum Regular

bradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to all

Hi Ian, how to you find tool prices compared to uk prices??
Mines all carpentry and joinery tools mate. Found everything to be very similar price wise, so you will be no worse off.Power tools seem a little cheaper and all the leading brands are here also.
Hope this helps.
Good luck
Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.