Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying a new car to take to Perth

Buying a new car to take to Perth

Old Aug 14th 2003, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

dibrucewillis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a new car to take to Perth

I have been looking at the price of European cars in Oz and on the whole I have noticed that they are quite expensive compared to the UK.
I am therefore hoping to buy a new car(not a brand new one) within the next month and to ship this over when we move to Perth.
I have read though that a vehicle has to have been Owned and Used for a minimum continuous period of twelve calendar months prior to shipment from the UK.

Does anybody know if this means that it has to have been owned by the person shipping it over?
Could anybody possibly shed some light on this matter for me

Thanks
Diane
Old Aug 14th 2003, 10:43 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a new car to take to Perth

Originally posted by dibrucewillis
I have been looking at the price of European cars in Oz and on the whole I have noticed that they are quite expensive compared to the UK.
I am therefore hoping to buy a new car(not a brand new one) within the next month and to ship this over when we move to Perth.
I have read though that a vehicle has to have been Owned and Used for a minimum continuous period of twelve calendar months prior to shipment from the UK.

Does anybody know if this means that it has to have been owned by the person shipping it over?

Thanks
Diane
look here www.movemanagement.com.au
Old Aug 14th 2003, 10:47 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Diane
look here www.movemanagement.com.au have a look at the import vehicles section........... MM
Old Aug 14th 2003, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Thankyou Mr Mover

Diane

Originally posted by mr mover
look here www.movemanagement.com.au have a look at the import vehicles section........... MM
Old Aug 14th 2003, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Isnt it going to cost you a fortune in tax and any alterations that have to be made for it to be legal in australia? We looked into taking our Impreza WRX over and decided it wasnt worth it, also with european cars you may have problems with servicing and parts.

Lynn
Old Aug 14th 2003, 11:03 am
owieb

You must have had the vehicle registered in your own name for a continuous period of 12 months.

You will also have to have the car checked and brought up to Australian standards when it arrives. This will include things like having the glass in the wing mirrors changed, the speedo changed to km, you're not allowed to have mph on it, even if it is a dual display, getting it licensed, new plates, plus a whole host of other things

There are also a load of taxes that have to be paid, including importation tax, GST and possibly luxury car tax.

At the end of the day it can be very expensive to import a new car in and the general advice given out is not to bother.

Check out the customs site and this will give you all the proper calculations.

It's much easier to buy a car out here. European models are very expensive, which is why you mainly see Toyotas, Mazda, Subura plus the home grown ones such as Holden.

The second hand price of cars is high, they don;t seem to lose their value as much as they would in the UK.

Old Aug 14th 2003, 11:15 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

We looked at having my wifes Renault Clio shipped.

Believe it or not, its classed as an exotic car, and we would have been taxed from here to kingdom come.

Its FAR easier to buy out there.....

ANother point to consider...if its a euro make, how many garages are out there? Are spares expensive? Would they stock the spares?

THere are only 2 (i think?) Renault garages in oz....that i found anyway. One in Melb and one in Syd. Too much hassle if it goes wrong. If you tour oz and break down in the middle of nowhere...your screwed in an exotic car.

Jap brands rule oz....Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Honda etc.
Old Aug 14th 2003, 11:22 am
Banned

Originally posted by PeteY
We looked at having my wifes Renault Clio shipped.

Believe it or not, its classed as an exotic car, and we would have been taxed from here to kingdom come.

Its FAR easier to buy out there.....

ANother point to consider...if its a euro make, how many garages are out there? Are spares expensive? Would they stock the spares?

THere are only 2 (i think?) Renault garages in oz....that i found anyway. One in Melb and one in Syd. Too much hassle if it goes wrong. If you tour oz and break down in the middle of nowhere...your screwed in an exotic car.

Jap brands rule oz....Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Honda etc.
you will quickly learn ,why Australia is considered the best proving ground for most car companys to test new models, if they survive , a month in the out back ,you wll get 100,000miles on european roads............ MM remember Australian cars for Australian conditions.
Old Aug 14th 2003, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes I think it is going to be quite costly but I have priced the same car in Austalia and it would cost me around £26,000-£27,000 as opposed to £12,000 over here in UK.
I am definitely going to have to give this a lot of thought & weigh up the costs

Diane

Originally posted by lynnj
Isnt it going to cost you a fortune in tax and any alterations that have to be made for it to be legal in australia? We looked into taking our Impreza WRX over and decided it wasnt worth it, also with european cars you may have problems with servicing and parts.

Lynn
Old Aug 14th 2003, 12:07 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Yes I think it is going to be quite costly but I have priced the same car in Austalia and it would cost me around £26,000-£27,000 as opposed to £12,000 over here in UK.
I am definitely going to have to give this a lot of thought & weigh up the costs

Diane
What sort of car are you after Di ?
Old Aug 14th 2003, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

I am currently looking at the Mercedes CLK320 .
I don't think that it will need much modification apart from the Tachometer – speedometers must be in kilometres only
and i think possibly theRear Vision (Wing) Mirrors – normal flat non tinted mirrored glass is only acceptable, (i.e. not concave/convex).

The problem that I think I am going to have is that I will not have owned the car for 12 months prior to shipment (as we are hoping to go in either November or December) so this could hinder my decision to ship it over

Diane

Originally posted by PeteY
What sort of car are you after Di ?
Old Aug 14th 2003, 12:20 pm
I'm PR Now!! Yeah!!

Sam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really nice

Diane
Hi Diane

At the current exchange rate £12,000 to dollars is £27861.60... so it may very well be costing you more here than there!!!

Sam&Andy
Old Aug 14th 2003, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Sam & Andy

No they cost about A$67,000 which i have worked out is about £27,000
So there is quite a considerable difference
I am still not sure though after taxes and shipping whether it will be worth it.
I don't intend to be driving through out back in it.My hubby will probably get something more suitable for that purpose when we get out there ie toyota it will just be for commuting to and from work ,school runs, shopping and of course trips to the beach!!

Diane
Originally posted by Sam&Andy
Hi Diane

At the current exchange rate £12,000 to dollars is £27861.60... so it may very well be costing you more here than there!!!

Sam&Andy
Old Aug 14th 2003, 12:36 pm
A Male Member

Hi Sam & Andy

I am still not sure though after taxes and shipping whether it will be worth it.
I don't intend to be driving through out back in it.My hubby will probably get something more suitable for that purpose when we get out there ie toyota it will just be for commuting to and from work ,school runs, shopping and of course trips to the beach!!

Diane
Di,

My wifes uncle bought a CLK 430 in brissie earlier this year. Wonderful car....im a touch jealous ! His was $160k though new....wonder why the smaller block model is so much cheaper...

THe mercs would have pretty nasty import duties, make sure you have it THOUROUGHLY costed up before you decide upon going for it.

My wifes other uncle imported a secondhand BMW a few years back, and he just sold it for $5k more than he paid for it as an import (even after taxes), so there may be an upside in that it will hold its value.
Old Aug 14th 2003, 1:01 pm
I'm PR Now!! Yeah!!

Sam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really nice

Hi Sam & Andy

Diane
Sorry about that Diane - I thought you had written $$$ must be going blind!! - That is very expensive!!!! I have been looking at buying another peugeot when I get back but I will need to look into it a lot better!!!

Cheers

Sam&Andy!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.