Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying laptops in Oz

Buying laptops in Oz

Old Dec 4th 2008, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

bearstocats is a jewel in the roughbearstocats is a jewel in the roughbearstocats is a jewel in the roughbearstocats is a jewel in the rough
Default Buying laptops in Oz

I'm arriving in Melbourne in the new year on a student visa and wondering about the price of a basic laptop there as this mchine is getting slower by the minute. Could buy one in the UK for £300/£350 with more than enough spec - does anyone have first hand knowledge of how much I'd need to spend in Melbourne?
Old Dec 4th 2008, 1:25 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of
Default Re: Buying laptops in Oz

Originally Posted by bearstocats
I'm arriving in Melbourne in the new year on a student visa and wondering about the price of a basic laptop there as this mchine is getting slower by the minute. Could buy one in the UK for £300/£350 with more than enough spec - does anyone have first hand knowledge of how much I'd need to spend in Melbourne?
I can't answer your question directly but I've seen posts on here in the past that claim that computer equipment is more expensive in Australia. There's no reason why you couldn't buy a new laptop here and take it with you.

Another option is to buy it somewhere you happen to be transitting through if it is cheaper there.

- CDM
Old Dec 4th 2008, 8:09 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CDM
I can't answer your question directly but I've seen posts on here in the past that claim that computer equipment is more expensive in Australia. There's no reason why you couldn't buy a new laptop here and take it with you.

Another option is to buy it somewhere you happen to be transitting through if it is cheaper there.

- CDM

The downside to that is that anything goes wrong, you maybe up the proverial creek without a paddle, in regards to warranty claims.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 8:28 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look on static ice.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 9:34 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The Bloke
The downside to that is that anything goes wrong, you maybe up the proverial creek without a paddle, in regards to warranty claims.
This is very true. However, I've never had to call upon a warranty for a laptop before. And they are only good for a year at best anyway so it's still worth thinking of that option.

Some manufactures, like Apple for example, have world-wide warranties also!

- CDM
Old Dec 4th 2008, 9:44 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

$800 will get you a laptop that will do everything except play games.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Agree with Burbage. We've just spent $1,200 on one for our eldest as he does want to play games and do lots of other teenage stuff that seems to require vast amounts of processing speed and memory Could easily have bought him one that would do the school stuff for $600.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 10:44 pm
ABCDiamond

Example of a Laptop in Australia

Fujitsu Lifebook V1010 Dual-Core 1.86 GHz 15.4-inch Widescreen Notebook
A$700.

How does that compare ?

or the 15.4" Fujitsu Lifebook V1020 Intel Pentium T2370 for A$879

Old Dec 5th 2008, 8:19 am
Just Joined

bearstocats is a jewel in the roughbearstocats is a jewel in the roughbearstocats is a jewel in the roughbearstocats is a jewel in the rough

Many thanks to all for your comments - ABCDiamond, those specs/prices woild do me, are they from the web or the high street?
Old Dec 5th 2008, 8:44 am
ABCDiamond

Many thanks to all for your comments - ABCDiamond, those specs/prices woild do me, are they from the web or the high street?
http://www.tpjem.com.au/

Maroochydore QLD

Old Dec 5th 2008, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

You can't go wrong with a Dell laptop - check out the Vostro range.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to behold

i just bought an acer for $650 from officeworks

After i got back i had to fill in a form onlkine and acer sent me $150 back

a brand new lapto with about 3.25ghz processor and 1gb ram 40 or 60gig hard drive vista and it fires up to wireless broadband working from off in less than a minute.

Probobaly not the best out there but for 200 quid, you cant grumble. i got my cashback checque about 6 weeks later. 1 year manufacturers warranty with it
Old Dec 5th 2008, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by discobay
You can't go wrong with a Dell laptop - check out the Vostro range.
or try
www.msy.com.au
Old Dec 5th 2008, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

Due to the recent drop in the A$, a lot of things are probably cheaper here than Europe or North America. It takes times before falling currency is translated to higher prices, particularly in the current climate. I heard Australia currently has the world's cheapest iPhones. Not sure it's still true.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 10:33 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Budawang
I heard Australia currently has the world's cheapest iPhones. Not sure it's still true.
Apple iPhone 8GB A$749
(749 Australian Dollar = 335.871 British Pound)
(749 Australian Dollar = 493.768 US Dollar)

How does that compare ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.