Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying Land - how does it all work?

Buying Land - how does it all work?

Old Mar 28th 2008, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

andysarah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buying Land - how does it all work?

Thanks everyone for you comments. It is still a little confusing, but it is getting clearer (i think!).

Our main thoughts are not really to buy land as a straight investment, but with a view to building on it at a later date when we are ready. As prices are rising, we were wondering whether it is better to get in soon so to speak, rather than in a couple of years during which time prices would have continued to rise. Of course, the plus for us is that if we had changed our minds about where we wanted to live we could then sell the land (hopefully at a profit!) which would help us to fund an onward move. The concern for us is that when we are ready to move, prices would have risen beyond our reach.

With the complexities of temp residents buying property I am thinking it may be better to wait until our PR is processed.

Cheers

Sarah
Old Mar 29th 2008, 4:13 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

We've done exactly what you are proposing to do, for exactly the same reasons.

We've owned our block of land for 3 months and we have another 15 months before we have to commence the building process in accordance with the covenant.

Our land was not cheap and the last remaining blocks which are about to come onto the market shortly (200 square meters smaller than ours and in a less elevated position) have a starting price of $330k.

Up until yesterday we were dead set on commencing the building process asap but now we are considering selling up as we do not want the worry that comes with large mortgages and the prospect of being owned by a bank.

This fear and worry, which we never had in the UK, overrides our need and desire to own our own home here in Australia.

We've got to decide whether to hang on to our land as long as we can and continue making the mortgage payments on it, hoping that the land value will increase more than our mortgage payments over the next 15 months.

We also need to take into account any stamp duty we'd have to pay on the sale of the land, which I think is the 0.5 x the amount of equity x the nominal tax rate.

Selling our land will sever our ties with the area and place us into a zone of uncertainty.

The housing situation, as a result of the prices being asked by developers and real estate agents and the constant interest rate rises, is like a huge black cloud hanging over us (and many others) every day and is souring our experience of Australia.

Over the next few months we will decide whether the effort and expense required to become a homeowner and the 'privilege' of living in Brisbane is really worth it.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 4:19 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Very true words TICTAC.

Its not easy, and I think jumping onto the so-called , property ladder has or should serve as a good positive experience, well least I hope it does.

The problems lie, I think in the main, with a proportion of expats, is to live in suburbia, with all the trappings of suburban life, reassurance of neighbours, and that community spirit.

The Aussie dream of living this, is becoming far more expensive and unachievable.

I really dont know why, more poms, dont make the effort, to peruse outlying suburbs, such as where I and a few others live.. allbeit these are becoming more and more costly.. they still offer better ROI , IMO.

Good Luck Ste
Old Mar 30th 2008, 1:33 am
BE Enthusiast

longreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tictac
We've done exactly what you are proposing to do, for exactly the same reasons.

We've owned our block of land for 3 months and we have another 15 months before we have to commence the building process in accordance with the covenant.

Our land was not cheap and the last remaining blocks which are about to come onto the market shortly (200 square meters smaller than ours and in a less elevated position) have a starting price of $330k.

Up until yesterday we were dead set on commencing the building process asap but now we are considering selling up as we do not want the worry that comes with large mortgages and the prospect of being owned by a bank.

This fear and worry, which we never had in the UK, overrides our need and desire to own our own home here in Australia.

We've got to decide whether to hang on to our land as long as we can and continue making the mortgage payments on it, hoping that the land value will increase more than our mortgage payments over the next 15 months.

We also need to take into account any stamp duty we'd have to pay on the sale of the land, which I think is the 0.5 x the amount of equity x the nominal tax rate.
Selling our land will sever our ties with the area and place us into a zone of uncertainty.

The housing situation, as a result of the prices being asked by developers and real estate agents and the constant interest rate rises, is like a huge black cloud hanging over us (and many others) every day and is souring our experience of Australia.

Over the next few months we will decide whether the effort and expense required to become a homeowner and the 'privilege' of living in Brisbane is really worth it.
???????

Do you mean capital gains tax?
Old Mar 30th 2008, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

Stamp duty, capital gains tax... whatever

Regardless, it's something *else* which adds to the cost of selling land and comes out of *my* pocket.. or so I've been led to believe by a so-called advisor/broker/conman/get rich quick merchant, the sort that seem to be ubiquitous here in Queensland

That's my experience to-date anyway. There probably are good, reliable, honest brokers out there (such as yourself) but finding them is not easy

Cheers

Last edited by tictac; Mar 30th 2008 at 1:59 am.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 2:26 am
BE Enthusiast

longreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud of

Stamp duty, capital gains tax... whatever

Regardless, it's something *else* which adds to the cost of selling land and comes out of *my* pocket.. or so I've been led to believe by a so-called advisor/broker/conman/get rich quick merchant, the sort that seem to be ubiquitous here in Queensland

That's my experience to-date anyway. There probably are good, reliable, honest brokers out there (such as yourself) but finding them is not easy

Cheers
Seems you have had some bad experiences... sorry to here that.

Perhaps you should take a look at http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/pa...60#001_002_026

It's strictly speaking not a cost of selling land. It's simply the tax you pay on any gain you have made.

For example, if you bought the land for $250,000 and sold it for $300,000, then you have made a $50,000 capital gain and mabe subject to capital gains tax (I say maybe because it all boils down to your situation but in most cases it will be the case) on that $50,000.

Obviously, if you sold it for the same value then none would be due and if you sold if for less then you would have made a capital loss and can claim tax relief.

You will find capital gains taxes in most of the economies in the world including the UK.

The only direct cost of selling the land is the agents fee, solicitors and maybe early settlement fee on your loan depending on your mortgage arrangements.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

kips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to behold

Hi sarah

Before you buy a block of land find out what the site costs are likely to be to build a house on it. The steeper the land the higher the cost and the type of soil on the land can also affect the price of building quite significantly. Three weeks ago me and the OH bought a flat 770sqm block 5 minutes walk from beautiful Corindi Beach (35 km from Coffs Harbour, NSW). Our builder estimated site costs of about $4k but after soil tests the cost has risen to $21k which was a shock. The builder argues it is because the land is made up of clay soil and piers (big holes drilled on the land with cement poured into them) have to be out in place before the concrete slab can go on top. Flabbergasted by the hugh increase which is the equivalent of our planned spend on the landscaping, fencing, lighting and blinds, we talked to other builders on the development building homes close to land and discovered their costs were about half. So now we are trying to get the builder to reduce the cost and waiting for a response from the MD of the company as the salesman can't make that decision. E-mailed on Wed after and still not had a response. We feel we are being ripped off. We do have another builder keen for our contract but we like the design and interior of the first builder. We still believe the land is a good investment as it is virtually impossible to buy a block this size so close to the beach anywhere in NSW (probably Australia) for the price we paid.

kips

Originally Posted by andysarah
Thanks everyone for you comments. It is still a little confusing, but it is getting clearer (i think!).

Our main thoughts are not really to buy land as a straight investment, but with a view to building on it at a later date when we are ready. As prices are rising, we were wondering whether it is better to get in soon so to speak, rather than in a couple of years during which time prices would have continued to rise. Of course, the plus for us is that if we had changed our minds about where we wanted to live we could then sell the land (hopefully at a profit!) which would help us to fund an onward move. The concern for us is that when we are ready to move, prices would have risen beyond our reach.

With the complexities of temp residents buying property I am thinking it may be better to wait until our PR is processed.

Cheers

Sarah
Old Mar 30th 2008, 3:41 am

dazah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by andysarah
Hello,

We have been in Oz for 4 mths now and have started to think about putting down some permanent roots. Thinking about buying some land, but have no idea how it all works. We won't until our PR comes through (fingers crossed!) but would like to be prepared to proceed as soon as we can.

Our idea at the moment (or mad brainwave, depending on how you look at it!) is to look into buying some land now, then in the future either build on it or sell it to help fund a deposit for another place. The reason i say this is that we are in our rental until at least December and we don't really want to break the lease, rent is pretty reasonable so may stay longer than December. We want to be settled for a bit with the kids etc etc so would be in no rush to build. We also thought this might help to spread the cost of such a big purchase, especially with interest rates as they are and rising costs.

Anyway, is this a reasonable proposal? If we did buy a plot, are there time limits of when you must start your build by?

And can you get the first time buyers grant for land purchase only or do you apply for it once you contract the builder?

Really, how do you do it?!?!?

Cheers

Sarah
hi sarah

im training to be a estate agent in victoria

here in victoria you need to put down a 10% deposit and ballance in 60 days but depending on the contract

but if your going to buy a plot of land questions you need to ask is what size of property can you build on it. the estate agent should be able to answer the question you have
Old Mar 30th 2008, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

With regards to the first time home buyers grant, if you are eligible (as PR I guess you will be) you will get this once your slab is laid. You will not be eligible for the grant if you just sit on the land and do not commence the build process

Our regular-shaped block is 850 Sq M, flat and does not have any retaining walls. We have been told to budget in the region of $10k for site costs.

Last edited by tictac; Mar 30th 2008 at 8:43 am.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

With regards to the first time home buyers grant, if you are eligible (as PR I guess you will be) you will get this once your slab is laid. You will not be eligible for the grant if you just sit on the land and do not commence the build process
Our regular-shaped block is 850 Sq M, flat and does not have any retaining walls. We have been told to budget in the region of $10k for site costs.
Correct. You will then have to live in it for 6 months out of the first 12 otherwise you will have to pay it back.