Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying a house in Oz

Buying a house in Oz

Old Oct 25th 2006, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

by the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Buying a house in Oz

Originally Posted by ohippy
Did you get your money back ?
Yes but we had to fight to get it back.The woman that took over the lease was on benefit and had a guy there has well who was working!It took us 3 weeks to get the money back becaue she hadn't paid her rent.I don't know what this had to do with anything because they had our money for rent 4 weeks in advance.We found the whole process a nightmare including buying the house.I don't know how things work in WA but here in QLD they get commission for the sales they make.It tends to make them dishonest.
We have a Gable Queenslander and they covered things up in the bathroom,we had it inspected but they are not allowed to move anything so I am told.Anyhow I need A new bathroom and we paid heaps at settlement.We liked house buying in the Uk better.I think it's just Rocky, service seems to be rubbish all round.
The guy you spoke to,didn't sound really helpful either.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by by the sea side
Yes but we had to fight to get it back.The woman that took over the lease was on benefit and had a guy there has well who was working!It took us 3 weeks to get the money back becaue she hadn't paid her rent.I don't know what this had to do with anything because they had our money for rent 4 weeks in advance.We found the whole process a nightmare including buying the house.I don't know how things work in WA but here in QLD they get commission for the sales they make.It tends to make them dishonest.
We have a Gable Queenslander and they covered things up in the bathroom,we had it inspected but they are not allowed to move anything so I am told.Anyhow I need A new bathroom and we paid heaps at settlement.We liked house buying in the Uk better.I think it's just Rocky, service seems to be rubbish all round.
The guy you spoke to,didn't sound really helpful either.
OMG !!! I can see us going the same way. All I can say is that I have learnt the hard way. We've not even had a survey. The agents are really quite short sighted because, as we are a migrant and in touch with other new migrants, if they rip us off, they won't be getting recommended, in fact they will be actively avoided !!
Old Oct 25th 2006, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

by the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ohippy
OMG !!! I can see us going the same way. All I can say is that I have learnt the hard way. We've not even had a survey. The agents are really quite short sighted because, as we are a migrant and in touch with other new migrants, if they rip us off, they won't be getting recommended, in fact they will be actively avoided !!
I am afraid we have learnt the hard way too.I have been here nearly 13 months,and I feel that scamming is a normal part of life.I don't like it but you have to be on your guard.i think bieng a mirant makes you any easier target too.