Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying a house/healthcare on a business visa?

Buying a house/healthcare on a business visa?

Old Jan 19th 2006, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

liverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to all
Question Buying a house/healthcare on a business visa?

I have read somewhere that unless you have PR you are not allowed to buy a second hand house (unless you spend at least 50% of the purchase cost on renovations). Is this correct? We would be going on a business visa so I am interested to know what we can and can't buy.
Also I am interested to know whether we would get state health care on a business visa. If not, then do we pay the same taxes as everyone else?

Thanks in advance for any responses. This site us proving to be really valuble with all the planning etc. and we really appreciate all the reponses we get to our questions.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 1:59 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a house/healthcare on a business visa?

Originally Posted by liverpool girl
I have read somewhere that unless you have PR you are not allowed to buy a second hand house (unless you spend at least 50% of the purchase cost on renovations). Is this correct? We would be going on a business visa so I am interested to know what we can and can't buy.
Also I am interested to know whether we would get state health care on a business visa. If not, then do we pay the same taxes as everyone else?

Thanks in advance for any responses. This site us proving to be really valuble with all the planning etc. and we really appreciate all the reponses we get to our questions.
Surprised this got missed!
Sure it depends upon the visa type and State maybe for the house purchase. I was on a 457-3yr visa and bought a second-hand house in QLD no problem.
You need to study www.firb.gov.au for the rules. I think as long as it is your primary residence, it won't be a problem.

State healthcare - there is a reciprical agreement between UK and Australia so you will get some Medicare benefit. Again, study www.medicare.gov.au

Good luck

Andrew