Buying a house

Old Feb 25th 2005, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

Katep is a name known to allKatep is a name known to allKatep is a name known to allKatep is a name known to allKatep is a name known to allKatep is a name known to allKatep is a name known to allKatep is a name known to allKatep is a name known to allKatep is a name known to allKatep is a name known to all
Default Buying a house

We are going through the process of our application under skilled migration. We have been looking into buying property, but we have been told by some Australian friends that we are only able to buy a house when we have had our visa for 12 months and even then we can only buy a new house. I have never heard of this before. Can anyone shed any light on this?
Old Feb 25th 2005, 4:33 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a house

Originally Posted by Katep
We are going through the process of our application under skilled migration. We have been looking into buying property, but we have been told by some Australian friends that we are only able to buy a house when we have had our visa for 12 months and even then we can only buy a new house. I have never heard of this before. Can anyone shed any light on this?
Not true.
Old Feb 25th 2005, 4:52 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

I believe there were rules on certain types of visa holders only being able to buy new build houses but this may have been done away with now.

I think in your case you can buy whatever you want whenever you want and take advantage of the first homebuyers grant of $7,000. (I think that's the going rate anyway!)

Binbird
Old Feb 25th 2005, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

chr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura about

Kate,
Under skilled migration, you can buy a house on the fisrt day you arrive
Old Feb 25th 2005, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

Aussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really nice

We had somefriends that moved over last year, I'm not entirely sure what the class of their visas were, although I know it was done through her nursing qualifications.
They bought a house before the visas were granted but they did have to buy a new one.
They did so well with equity & exchange rates they bought 2!
Old Feb 27th 2005, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

Coulterk will become famous soon enoughCoulterk will become famous soon enough

There are some restrictions on some visas but there is an approvals mechanism for say the temp resident business visas and for info look at http://www.firb.gov.au/content/default.asp

Although there are restrictions for some people in only buying a plot to build on or a new home, if you want to buy a normal house, you have to make an application fo FRIB. You can probably buy a house but you may need to have your purchase approved. Look at the website for more info.