Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying or hiring a car in Queensland

Buying or hiring a car in Queensland

Old Feb 5th 2007, 8:46 pm
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of
Default Buying or hiring a car in Queensland

Given the cost of car hire + insurance we're wondering how long it would take to buy a car - i.e if you buy new do you have to wait a long time for delivery. I realise that type of car and whether its new or second hand will make a diffrerence so really just would like an idea of how long it took you to get a car when you first arrived. We will need 2 cars so we could buy 1 quickly and spend more time buying the second later on.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 1:12 am
him
token local

him has a spectacular aura abouthim has a spectacular aura abouthim has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Buying or hiring a car in Queensland

Originally Posted by rebnatoli
Given the cost of car hire + insurance we're wondering how long it would take to buy a car - i.e if you buy new do you have to wait a long time for delivery. I realise that type of car and whether its new or second hand will make a diffrerence so really just would like an idea of how long it took you to get a car when you first arrived. We will need 2 cars so we could buy 1 quickly and spend more time buying the second later on.
Buying new, the car may be available as soon as a few days or may be as long as a few months. It would depend on make, model and options chosen.
Buying used would probably also take a few days if buying from a "reputable" dealer and getting a pre-purchase inspection done.
Maybe hire a car for a week or two whilst looking around. I am unaware of your requirements, but a small car can be hired relatively cheaply.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 2:34 am
Forum Regular

DavidShea is an unknown quantity at this point

We've just bought a Ute 2nd hand - it's very hit or miss, but buying new is very expensive, and we found there's not as much choice when it comes to finance (I used personal leasing in the UK.)

whatever you do, get a copy of the Dog and Lemon book from large newsagents - it's about $20, and full of every car you can imagine, and gives an honest assessment of each one. (For a laugh, look up any British Car.)

bottom line from everything we've been told - buy a Japanese car!

Oh, and get it checked out by a good mechanic (if you can find one, we were lucky we found an English guy who took to us right away) or RACQ.

Dave x
Old Feb 6th 2007, 7:27 am
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

Thanks - I guess we'll do a bit of research here and get a short-list of the cars we would like. We have to have a car big enough for our 160Kg of luggage!
Old Feb 6th 2007, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DavidShea
We've just bought a Ute 2nd hand - it's very hit or miss, but buying new is very expensive, and we found there's not as much choice when it comes to finance (I used personal leasing in the UK.)

whatever you do, get a copy of the Dog and Lemon book from large newsagents - it's about $20, and full of every car you can imagine, and gives an honest assessment of each one. (For a laugh, look up any British Car.)

bottom line from everything we've been told - buy a Japanese car!

Oh, and get it checked out by a good mechanic (if you can find one, we were lucky we found an English guy who took to us right away) or RACQ.

Dave x
I've a copy of that too if anyone wants it and they're on my way to work. PM me.