Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying furniture

Wikiposts

Buying furniture

Old Nov 27th 2004, 3:38 am
gsb
Cake or Death

gsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Buying furniture

This is a post for those who have made the move down under already.

We are thinking of buying a new sofa and are wondering if it is really a good idea before we move (DIMIA permitting). I have seen posts about the cost of wooden (I guess people are talking about tables and chairs and cabinets) furniture, but none about sofas.

Should we simply wait until we get to Oz or is it a better idea to buy in the UK and ship in the container? Of course the thing is that a sofa (or suite) will take up more room in a container so there is going to be a cost consideration there I guess.

Has anyone else had to consider the buy now or buy later problem? Any help appreciated.

Cheers, Gary
Old Nov 27th 2004, 8:16 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buying furniture

Originally Posted by gsb
This is a post for those who have made the move down under already.

We are thinking of buying a new sofa and are wondering if it is really a good idea before we move (DIMIA permitting). I have seen posts about the cost of wooden (I guess people are talking about tables and chairs and cabinets) furniture, but none about sofas.

Should we simply wait until we get to Oz or is it a better idea to buy in the UK and ship in the container? Of course the thing is that a sofa (or suite) will take up more room in a container so there is going to be a cost consideration there I guess.

Has anyone else had to consider the buy now or buy later problem? Any help appreciated.

Cheers, Gary
Hi ya Gary!!

If you are buying a brand new one, I would wait. Regardless of prices...at least any kind of warrenty you would get with it, you would be covered here.

I think there is a really good range of furniture over here in all price brackets. I wouldnt, if it were me, worry about buying a new one there and bringing it over...

Thats just in my opinion of course

Hels
Old Nov 27th 2004, 8:19 am
gsb
Cake or Death

gsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Hels

Hope all is still going well with your job.

Tracey and I were looking at sofas today and we were pondering buying a new one. But of course were not sure of the pros and cons. So any advice will be take into account.

Gary

Originally Posted by Hels
Hi ya Gary!!

If you are buying a brand new one, I would wait. Regardless of prices...at least any kind of warrenty you would get with it, you would be covered here.

I think there is a really good range of furniture over here in all price brackets. I wouldnt, if it were me, worry about buying a new one there and bringing it over...

Thats just in my opinion of course

Hels
Old Nov 27th 2004, 6:51 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

If one bought in the UK is under a year old it should of course be declared and tax paid.....

There IS a dearth of decent furniture in Sydney at least - and the cost of some is astronomical compared with the UK. But even then I would only bring it across if it went into an existing consignment with only a marginal cost of transport.

The price of some things is comparable - but others are out of all proportion to the costs elswhere - two or three times the amount for no sensible reason except buyer inertia and ignorance of international prices.
Old Nov 27th 2004, 8:23 pm
Here at last

Location: Now here in sunny Sandy Beach, near Coffs Harbour, N.S.W.)
TheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really nice

Going on my brothers experience I wouldn't bother buying over here, wait until you get to Oz. Obviously the houses over there are completely different and the sofa you buy may not look right in the new house (probably be too small etc.) Plus it will save on the transportation costs. If we get accepted we are not taking any furniture but will buy new when we get over there so we can see what goes with the house we end up in. Hope this helps.

Tony.
Old Nov 27th 2004, 8:55 pm
gsb
Cake or Death

Thanks Rog and The Rossers.

So, the consensus, so far, is dont bother.

We will be taking some furniture though, particularly as some of it is not that old.

Thanks fer taking the time to reply.

Cheers, Gary

Originally Posted by TheRossers
Going on my brothers experience I wouldn't bother buying over here, wait until you get to Oz. Obviously the houses over there are completely different and the sofa you buy may not look right in the new house (probably be too small etc.) Plus it will save on the transportation costs. If we get accepted we are not taking any furniture but will buy new when we get over there so we can see what goes with the house we end up in. Hope this helps.

Tony.