Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying a DVD Recorder from the UK for use in Oz

Buying a DVD Recorder from the UK for use in Oz

Old Dec 29th 2004, 6:13 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Buying a DVD Recorder from the UK for use in Oz

Originally Posted by bondipom
I've been building my own PC recently. Every component was cheaper and had better availability in the UK.
It does depend a lot on where people buy things. But for computer parts the competition in the UK is so much greater than here in Australia. I've run a computer business in both countries, and my profit mark up in Australia was at least twice the amount I could get in the UK. From my own experience, in that line, there is a lot more shopping around for price done in the UK than here. But the actual cost price to the reseller is not much different, so with only 10% GST here, the prices SHOULD be lower, if profit margins were the same.

As an example of prices I was just looking for a cheap DVD recorder, the OMNI DW2105, and the prices I found were $549, then $459 (using a link on my website) and finally on ebay at $559 !!

Old Dec 29th 2004, 8:06 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
It does depend a lot on where people buy things. But for computer parts the competition in the UK is so much greater than here in Australia. I've run a computer business in both countries, and my profit mark up in Australia was at least twice the amount I could get in the UK. From my own experience, in that line, there is a lot more shopping around for price done in the UK than here. But the actual cost price to the reseller is not much different, so with only 10% GST here, the prices SHOULD be lower, if profit margins were the same.

As an example of prices I was just looking for a cheap DVD recorder, the OMNI DW2105, and the prices I found were $549, then $459 (using a link on my website) and finally on ebay at $559 !!
I think the combination of the rip off Britain articles in the press and the simultaneous growth of the net changed things a lot. Good to see the rip off shops such as Dixons doing badly.
Old Dec 29th 2004, 8:18 am
ABCDiamond

I think the combination of the rip off Britain articles in the press and the simultaneous growth of the net changed things a lot. Good to see the rip off shops such as Dixons doing badly.
Tallking about Dixons, I always thought they were expensive, like David Jones etc, but on checking the price of a HP PSC-2355 Printer All in One, I found them the cheapest:
Dixons £132.98
comp-buyer.co.uk £141.00
shopping.lycos.co.uk £149.99
argos.com £149.99

and the cheapest comparison here was $345.00 (@2.5=£138.00)

Old Dec 29th 2004, 8:33 am

Tallking about Dixons, I always thought they were expensive, like David Jones etc, but on checking the price of a HP PSC-2355 Printer All in One, I found them the cheapest:
Dixons £132.98
comp-buyer.co.uk £141.00
argos.com £149.99

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...s.cfm?t=190857

On how to shop a Harvey Norman. BTW harvey Norman salesmen are clueless so it is not advice you would be paying for.
Old Dec 29th 2004, 8:44 am
ABCDiamond

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...s.cfm?t=190857

On how to shop a Harvey Norman. BTW harvey Norman salesmen are clueless so it is not advice you would be paying for.
Their people in returns aren't much better ! (I'm happy to say )

We got something from them in Jan 2003, and it packed up last week, it had a 2 year warranty, (about 4 weeks left still valid), so we rang them to see what we should do, they said fetch it in, (it was the 3rd or 4th person we were transferred to) so we did, gave the girl the receipt, she asked for our credit card and refunded the full cost price !!! (remember, this was from just about 2 years ago), without even looking at it !!

We then proceeded to go and buy a new one, at the new, cheaper price. (The RRP had come down) Maybe we are just lucky

Old Dec 29th 2004, 10:11 am
Just Joined

sunnysyd is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been building my own PC recently. Every component was cheaper and had better availability in the UK.

BTW that was using pluscorp and pricematching to places like umart and MSY. umart and MSY have too minimal a service.

Auspcmarket is good but pricey. pmecomputers was brilliant and gave excellent service. Must be because the European market is 30 times bigger.
This is exactly what I'm finding. So why doesn't everybody in Aus order VCRs, DVD Recorders & other "packagable" electronic stuff on the net from the UK?? (Obviously assuming the product is compatable with Aus). Or do they and I just don't know about it??
Old Dec 29th 2004, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by sunnysyd
This is exactly what I'm finding. So why doesn't everybody in Aus order VCRs, DVD Recorders & other "packagable" electronic stuff on the net from the UK?? (Obviously assuming the product is compatable with Aus). Or do they and I just don't know about it??
There are a few on some of the sites who order in from the US or HK. The main issue there is with returning faulty goods and international warranties. The shipping costs will be higher but even then they are better off.
Old Dec 29th 2004, 9:59 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Dixons £132.98
comp-buyer.co.uk £141.00
argos.com £149.99

Dixons/Currys/PC World group can sometimes be quite competitive on the internet, prices usually much lower than instore, where they certainly do rip you off.
Old Dec 30th 2004, 12:49 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

When I need a new computer system or stuff (rarely), I drop into:

COMPUTER FAIRS NSW

or:

Computer Fairs Australia

The stall holders (entirely Asian) are very good and I can buy at keen prices without delivery hassles, stuff installed there and then, proven to work and instant payment.
Old Dec 30th 2004, 1:00 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Quinkana
When I need a new computer system or stuff (rarely), I drop into:
COMPUTER FAIRS NSW
or:
Computer Fairs Australia

The stall holders (entirely Asian) are very good and I can buy at keen prices without delivery hassles, stuff installed there and then, proven to work and instant payment.
Computer fairs were our biggest competitor in the UK, and did a lot in bringing prices down. They haven't become very common here yet, but looking at your link, it appears they have picked up, at least in NSW, in the last couple of years.

Old Dec 30th 2004, 1:30 am

Computer fairs were our biggest competitor in the UK, and did a lot in bringing prices down. They haven't become very common here yet, but looking at your link, it appears they have picked up, at least in NSW, in the last couple of years.
Some people at work go to the one at North Rocks.