Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying (cheap) from the US

Buying (cheap) from the US

Old Feb 10th 2008, 9:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Buying (cheap) from the US

I know some of you like bargains and particularly miss the thrill of the chase from reading www.moneysavingexpert.com.

Here is a thread being discussed on Whirlpool re PriceUSA. http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...s.cfm?t=913221
I'm the one that has bought the watch.

http://www.priceusa.com.au/index.html
It's run by Carolina out of Bendigo.
Good things I like: they pay with a US credit card (some sites don't allow Aus credit cards); you can use coupons/get rebates; you can pay via bank transfer in AUD so no VISA foreign currency transaction fee; you can choose which shipping you want to use; for 20% of the shipping they will pay for any returns to US in the warranty period.

I'm not associated with the company other than buying a watch via them.

About two weeks ago I bought a ladies Seiko watch rrp of 450AUD. Wife could buy it from a local shop for $400. I found it on Amazon and got it shipped over for AUD110. Still don't know why I got free shipping. Anyway, that episode got me researching buying from the US. It's covered in a number of Whirlpool threads and that's how I came across PriceUSA.

If anybody has any ideas about buying from the US please add them

Ian
Old Feb 10th 2008, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Buying (cheap) from the US

Sounds interesting Ian, I'll have a look. Thanks! Q
Old Feb 10th 2008, 10:31 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

I always suggest people shop around - I have multiple bank accounts including an international account so I can keep money in different currencies....I have bought everyhting from holidays to computers to books and CD's, televisions, etc etc on the internet......

You can literally save HUNDREDS on some things - especially if you know where to look!

I would say just to be careful about how well established some websites are, but certainly buying from Amazon woudl be pretty safe - also be aware that you might sometimes get hit up for import taxes .......

My best buy was when I was in England I bought an Xbox 360 games console - they were about 300 pounds in the shops, some had deals for 280 etc for the one I wanted.

I bought one from Amazon.de (germany, but you need to read some german) and had it delivered all up, including delivery and insurance for 140 pounds....it arrived in 3 days and was actually the exact same product that they were selling in the UK (ie. even had UK/english packaging and instructions, etc). Saved myself 150 quid!!

Shop around people, can save you lots!

A
Old Feb 10th 2008, 10:38 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

They def need the equiv of http://www.hotukdeals.com/ here in Oz, prices vary so much, and specials can really get the prices down.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 10:38 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyR1976
You can literally save HUNDREDS on some things - especially if you know where to look!
GPS's too I bought mine from the US for about 30% the price of what it is in Aus.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 11:30 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
GPS's too I bought mine from the US for about 30% the price of what it is in Aus.
Me too. I got my magellan XL for 40% of the Aussie price. I recently bought a whole load of stuff from the US including a Maglite 4D cell LED torch - delivered here in Perth for AUD40. BCF price - $130!

Local retailers are NOT going to pass on the savings they are making so bypass them.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 2:10 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ebo1608
I know some of you like bargains and particularly miss the thrill of the chase from reading www.moneysavingexpert.com.

Here is a thread being discussed on Whirlpool re PriceUSA. http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...s.cfm?t=913221
I'm the one that has bought the watch.

http://www.priceusa.com.au/index.html
It's run by Carolina out of Bendigo.
Good things I like: they pay with a US credit card (some sites don't allow Aus credit cards); you can use coupons/get rebates; you can pay via bank transfer in AUD so no VISA foreign currency transaction fee; you can choose which shipping you want to use; for 20% of the shipping they will pay for any returns to US in the warranty period.

I'm not associated with the company other than buying a watch via them.

About two weeks ago I bought a ladies Seiko watch rrp of 450AUD. Wife could buy it from a local shop for $400. I found it on Amazon and got it shipped over for AUD110. Still don't know why I got free shipping. Anyway, that episode got me researching buying from the US. It's covered in a number of Whirlpool threads and that's how I came across PriceUSA.

If anybody has any ideas about buying from the US please add them

Ian
Long time no see Ian! How's things?

Buzzy
Old Feb 11th 2008, 2:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Long time no see Ian! How's things?

Buzzy
Hi Simon,

PM'd you.

Ian