Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying a car - tax, insurance etc.

Buying a car - tax, insurance etc.

Old Mar 10th 2004, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

cruisey is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Buying a car - tax, insurance etc.

I tried to figure out what you pay for when buying a car, but got totally confused. e.g. In NSW you buy:

3rd party insurance
I believe this is mandatory. Do you buy this along with your normal comprehensive policy from an insuarance company? Is 3rd party a one-off when you buy the car, or do you pay annually along with your comprehensive policy?

Stamp Duty
In NSW I believe it's 3.0% of purchase price up to $45k, then 5% of purchase price above $45k. Do you pay this to the dealer or have to pay the authorities seperately somehow?

Registration Fee
What is this? Apparently it's charged each year depending on the weight of your car (NSW). Is this the equivelent to a UK tax disc? or is it like a vehicle log book?

Help!! Cheers.....
Old Mar 10th 2004, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

John Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant future

G'Day

Not posted for a while

3rd Party is mandatory and the $ depends on many variables

Stamp duty only applies on new cars and 4 varies depening on the state you live in

Rego is the same as tax in the UK and $ is also dependant on the state you live in.

Australian licence can be obtained by doing the theory test (UK only) at an RTA office, you can practice the test on the RTA web site

Hope this helps
Old Mar 10th 2004, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by John Howard
Stamp duty only applies on new cars and 4 varies depening on the state you live in
Stamp duty applies on new AND used in Vic and SA.
Old Mar 10th 2004, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

G'Day

Not posted for a while

3rd Party is mandatory and the $ depends on many variables

Rego is the same as tax in the UK and $ is also dependant on the state you live in.

Australian licence can be obtained by doing the theory test (UK only) at an RTA office, you can practice the test on the RTA web site

Hope this helps

Thanks. What about the 3rd Party stuff? Is it a one off purchase or do you buy it with your comprehensive policy each year??
Old Mar 10th 2004, 11:27 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by cruisey
Thanks. What about the 3rd Party stuff? Is it a one off purchase or do you buy it with your comprehensive policy each year??
Its included in the rego.

Jane
Old Mar 10th 2004, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by JaneandJim
Its included in the rego.

Jane
Ah right. So when you tax your car it comes with 3rd party insurance included, sounds like a good idea.

If someone needs to make a claim against you, does that mean they claim off the 'rego' people as well as your insurance company?
Old Mar 10th 2004, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

Ambrose is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah right. So when you tax your car it comes with 3rd party insurance included, sounds like a good idea.

If someone needs to make a claim against you, does that mean they claim off the 'rego' people as well as your insurance company?
Good question. Can someone answer please....

Also anyone bought a car at the auctions ???

ta
Old Mar 10th 2004, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
Stamp duty applies on new AND used in Vic and SA.
AND NSW
Old Mar 11th 2004, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

John Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant future

3rd party/CTP/Green Slip all the same thing is NOT included in your Rego in NSW. You have to buy a green slip every year before you can re-register your car, it cost me as follows:

CTP green slip $345 with NRMA equiv. to AA and RAC
Rego $245 Price depends on model and year of car
registering the car in my name after purchase $200
Fully comp insurance $900 for two named drivers both over 30 with full no claims 65% with NRMA

If you also get home insuranse with NRMA they give you 10% back!!

Its a rip off, same as the UK!!

Good luck
Old Mar 11th 2004, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

I just got a fully comp insurance renewal notice through for my commodore wagon for $1041. I phoned round for another quote as I was disgusted that it had gone up by $300 in one year. I got a quote from Budget Insurance for $617 with protected no claims and all the trimmings!! Guess who I'm insuring with this year!!!

Anyway, I'll add that the Compulsory Third Party in NSW DOES NOT cover property, it only covers people. i.e if you hit someones car you are not covered but if you run someone over then the CTP covers it. Yet driving with just CTP is legal! So there are many mad people out there with no insurance which is why we always get fully comp. cover. You can get third party property, theft and fire insurance which is about half the fully comp insurance.

Our CTP and Rego is much the same as yours. But you are looking at heaps more for CTP for a motor bike, my hubby's ctp quote was around the $900 but then the rego was about $80, still a bit much though. Oh and the stamp duty on buying a car is worked out from the purchase price including the GST so you end up paying a tax on top of tax!! Yep some things are a bit of a rip off but the good far out weigh the bad!!

Mandy

3rd party/CTP/Green Slip all the same thing is NOT included in your Rego in NSW. You have to buy a green slip every year before you can re-register your car, it cost me as follows:

CTP green slip $345 with NRMA equiv. to AA and RAC
Rego $245 Price depends on model and year of car
registering the car in my name after purchase $200
Fully comp insurance $900 for two named drivers both over 30 with full no claims 65% with NRMA

If you also get home insuranse with NRMA they give you 10% back!!

Its a rip off, same as the UK!!

Good luck
Old Mar 11th 2004, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Mandy Bale
I just got a fully comp insurance renewal notice through for my commodore wagon for $1041. I phoned round for another quote as I was disgusted that it had gone up by $300 in one year. I got a quote from Budget Insurance for $617 with protected no claims and all the trimmings!! Guess who I'm insuring with this year!!!

Anyway, I'll add that the Compulsory Third Party in NSW DOES NOT cover property, it only covers people. i.e if you hit someones car you are not covered but if you run someone over then the CTP covers it. Yet driving with just CTP is legal! So there are many mad people out there with no insurance which is why we always get fully comp. cover. You can get third party property, theft and fire insurance which is about half the fully comp insurance.

Our CTP and Rego is much the same as yours. But you are looking at heaps more for CTP for a motor bike, my hubby's ctp quote was around the $900 but then the rego was about $80, still a bit much though. Oh and the stamp duty on buying a car is worked out from the purchase price including the GST so you end up paying a tax on top of tax!! Yep some things are a bit of a rip off but the good far out weigh the bad!!

Mandy

Thanks Mandy. Does CTP come as part of your Comprehensive cover from your insurer? Or do you buy it seperately??
Old Mar 12th 2004, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Mandy. Does CTP come as part of your Comprehensive cover from your insurer? Or do you buy it seperately??
In QLD it comes packaged with the annual registration and you have no choice but to pay it. With your rego renewal you will get an insurance quote from an insurance company, with a list of alternative quotes from other companies.

First time I renewed my rego I switched my CTP to the same company as my comprehensive policy was with.

Just renewing mine now.
REGO $225
CTP $357

Plus comprehensive insurance when it's due last year it was $356 for a 5 year old Ford Laser.
Old Mar 12th 2004, 5:52 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Mandy Bale
You can get third party property, theft and fire insurance which is about half the fully comp insurance.

Mandy
Mandy, can you check that bit please ?

I didn't think it was available with Fire & Theft, unless you went for Comprehensive cover.