Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying a car in NZ

Buying a car in NZ

Old Mar 28th 2002, 5:34 pm
Non-addicted member!

garrisondamn will become famous soon enoughgarrisondamn will become famous soon enough
Default Buying a car in NZ

I have PR visas for NZ & am going to visit for 4 weeks to have a look around, get a feel for the place and suss out the best places to live.
I was going to hire a car or campervan, but thought, as I have a PR visa & am going back shortly afterwards to settle, it would be more sensible & economical to BUY a reasonably cheap car!

Is this possible without any NZ perminent address, (although maybe a contact in Welly could help me out)
I know you have to have Warranty & Rego (MOT & Tax I think).
But what else.
Can I do this???
It would make things easier & cheaper & a car to use when I go back out!!
Anyone help?
Old Mar 28th 2002, 11:05 pm
Nigel Marx

Default Re: Buying a car in NZ

Hi Allan. It does sound a good idea. I would recommend you try Turners Car Auctions
in which ever city you start out in. Where are you landing? We live in Christchurch,
which is the IT capital on New Zealand, if by chance you are in that industry.
Turners in Chch have have two auctions a week of cars under NZ$6000, and you can get
a very good car from $1000 and up. Some friends of ours who were here for 5 months
from New York bought a car for $650 and sold it for $1200 when they left. I recently
bought a very tidy 1968 Austin 1100 with 46,000 miles for $250 as a collectable toy.
Please contact me directly if you want any more information.

Regards

Nigel in NZ

--"Sometimes my mind wanders..... sometimes it doesn't come back"--

"garrisondamn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I have PR visas for NZ & am going to visit for 4 weeks to have a look around, get a
    > feel for the place and suss out the best places to live. I was going to hire a car
    > or campervan, but thought, as I have a PR visa & am going back shortly afterwards
    > to settle, it would be more sensible & economical to BUY a reasonably cheap car!
    >
    > Is this possible without any NZ perminent address, (although maybe a contact in
    > Welly could help me out) I know you have to have Warranty & Rego (MOT & Tax I
    > think). But what else. Can I do this??? It would make things easier & cheaper & a
    > car to use when I go back out!! Anyone help?
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Alan Pritchard
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Mar 28th 2002, 11:35 pm
Neil Raines

Plenty of Backpackers do this, so I can see no problem. Cars are cheapest in Auckland
but you can spend weeks looking. There are websites that you can check if stollen and
any registered charges against the car. Some sites also give you past owners and
mileage history from Warrents of Fitness (MoT)

"garrisondamn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > I have PR visas for NZ & am going to visit for 4 weeks to have a look around, get a
    > feel for the place and suss out the best places to live. I was going to hire a car
    > or campervan, but thought, as I have a PR visa & am going back shortly afterwards
    > to settle, it would be more sensible & economical to BUY a reasonably cheap car!
    >
    > Is this possible without any NZ perminent address, (although maybe a contact in
    > think). But what else. Can I do this??? It would make things easier & cheaper & a
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Alan Pritchard
    >

Old Mar 29th 2002, 9:27 am
Neil Raines

I would also recommend Turners Car Auctions. Their main site in Auckland is great.
Modern and comfortable with auctions every day.

"Nigel Marx" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Hi Allan. It does sound a good idea. I would recommend you try Turners Car Auctions
    > in which ever city you start out in. Where are you landing? We
live
    > in Christchurch, which is the IT capital on New Zealand, if by chance you are in
    > that industry. Turners in Chch have have two auctions a week of
cars
    > under NZ$6000, and you can get a very good car from $1000 and up. Some friends of
    > ours who were here for 5 months from New York bought a car for $650 and sold it for
    > $1200 when they left. I recently bought a very tidy 1968 Austin 1100 with 46,000
    > miles for $250 as a collectable toy. Please contact me directly if you want any
    > more information.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Nigel in NZ
    >
    > --"Sometimes my mind wanders..... sometimes it doesn't come back"--
    >
    > "garrisondamn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I have PR visas for NZ & am going to visit for 4 weeks to have a look around, get
    > > a feel for the place and suss out the best places to live. I was going to hire a
    > > car or campervan, but thought, as I have a PR visa & am going back shortly
    > > afterwards to settle, it would be more sensible & economical to BUY a reasonably
    > > cheap car!
    > >
    > > Is this possible without any NZ perminent address, (although maybe a contact in
    > > Welly could help me out) I know you have to have Warranty & Rego (MOT & Tax I
    > > think). But what else. Can I do this??? It would make things easier & cheaper & a
    > > car to use when I go back out!! Anyone help?
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > --
    > > Alan Pritchard
    > >
    > > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Mar 30th 2002, 10:46 am
Non-addicted member!

garrisondamn will become famous soon enoughgarrisondamn will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Nigel Marx
Please contact me directly if you want any more information.

Regards

Nigel in NZ

Can you give me an email address?
Thanks Nigel for your help
This is my email ( take out nospam)
[email protected]
Old Apr 7th 2002, 10:50 am
David Morris

It is probably not an economical proposition to buy a car for just four weeks . (But,
thern, as a rental car operator, I would say that wouldn't
I).

Here are you options:

By a reasonably reliable car for, say $1300-$1500. Problem: you only have days to
sell it at the end of the trip, unless you want to spend over a quarter of your time
here trying to get shot of a car.

Buy a real cheapie that you can just dump at the end of the trip. A strategy
employed by a surprising number of people, usually unwittingly. Auckland Airport
carpark is littered with the carcasses of cars that owners couldn't sell before they
left the country.

The problem with a "cheapie" like that is that it will have a very high breakdown
proclivity. Trust me, the law of averages says that your purchase price will not be
the last dollar you spend on this car.

In you were here for two months it would be a different set of economics. But
you ain't.

Here's another option: rent a car from me for $499 for the month, including
insurance, tax and unlimited kms. It could be the cheapest option of all.

Howwever, to answer your specific questions, yes you can buy and register a car
without a permanent address - use the address of the hostekl you are staying at.

A Warrant of Fitness (WOF - an MOT in Pommie-speak) is a legal requirement, but there
are backpackers who don't bother with such niceties. A registration sticker (= tax
disc) is similarly a legal requirement. You can't get one without a WOF.

Your only other consideration is insurance. Believe it or not, but it's not
compulsory. It's also quite expensive for short term contracts - around $200-300. You
canof course just driver without it and skip the country if your have a major crash.
But then, you want to come back again, don't you??

David Morris Downtown Rentals
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Take a look at our website

http://New-Zealand-rental-cars.com

and for really good ideas on what to see and what to do in NZ go to

http://visitnz.co.nz

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

garrisondamn <[email protected]> wrote in article
<[email protected]>...
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Alan Pritchard
    >