Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

buying a car before you arrive

buying a car before you arrive

Old Aug 22nd 2007, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

gidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud of
Default buying a car before you arrive

I posted this in the Immigration forum by mi9stake. Thought I'd repost to see if can get more feedback...

Our flights are booked (one way to Melbourne December 9th) and I have looked into car hire which is expensive so now I'm thinking we might buy a new car (Honda CRV probably) and hopefully, if possible, have it waiting for us at the airport when we arrive. So is this possible and if so what do I need to do?

Would I get a better deal hiring a car for a week and buying once there? I plan on emailing all of the Honda dealers in Melbourne to get their best "on the road" price and go with the best deal. Would I get a better deal "in person" when we arrive? Would I be right in saying I should get a good deal it being December when I buy due to the fact it's end of year?

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

Adam 66 has much to be proud ofAdam 66 has much to be proud ofAdam 66 has much to be proud ofAdam 66 has much to be proud ofAdam 66 has much to be proud ofAdam 66 has much to be proud ofAdam 66 has much to be proud ofAdam 66 has much to be proud ofAdam 66 has much to be proud ofAdam 66 has much to be proud ofAdam 66 has much to be proud of
Default Re: buying a car before you arrive

We wanted to buy a 2008 Nissan X-Trail, looked at the Honda CR-V here in UK and wasn't impressed with the plastic interior trim versus the price although there is no doubting Hondas reputation for build quality.

Our dilemma is we land in WA in early September and the current X-Trail model in Australia is the 2007 version which is being sold off in close-out deals. The all-new 2008 X-trail (much nicer) is now on sale in UK, but Australia have to wait until after the Sydney motor show in October and prices are yet to be released. I don't want to buy the outgoing 2007 model then find the bigger, more modern all-new 2008 version is being retailed at similar money. I know used cars have better residual value down under but the older model will be instantly dated by the new ones imminent release.

We would have to rent for a month before we can order one, then probably wait another month for delivery. Our thought is that 2 months car rental fees are not exactly money well spent. The dealer can't lend us a runabout either, if he could I would place an order now.

We may buy a runabout to get us mobile until the new model X-Trail is released then flog it off or keep it as a shopping wagon.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 6:33 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gidxg03
I posted this in the Immigration forum by mi9stake. Thought I'd repost to see if can get more feedback...

Our flights are booked (one way to Melbourne December 9th) and I have looked into car hire which is expensive so now I'm thinking we might buy a new car (Honda CRV probably) and hopefully, if possible, have it waiting for us at the airport when we arrive. So is this possible and if so what do I need to do?

Would I get a better deal hiring a car for a week and buying once there? I plan on emailing all of the Honda dealers in Melbourne to get their best "on the road" price and go with the best deal. Would I get a better deal "in person" when we arrive? Would I be right in saying I should get a good deal it being December when I buy due to the fact it's end of year?

Thanks in advance.
We looked into doing this. An my suggestion is find the dealers in Melbourne area and email them your intentions and car spec, we did this with Nissan and it was possible for us to have the chosen vehicle ready for us at the airport for when we arrived.
However we've decided after much discussion we'd rather see the car, test drive it etc first. It does mean hiring a car but we feel happier doing it that way.

It's wether you feel comfortable buying a car like that?

Wish you the best of luck.

Jen
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 7:17 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gidxg03
I have looked into car hire which is expensive so now I'm thinking we might buy a new car (Honda CRV probably) and hopefully, if possible, have it waiting for us at the airport when we arrive. So is this possible and if so what do I need to do?
We'll be doing this. But not buying the car from a dealer but from a car broker. We'll be using this lot: http://www.carbroker.com.au/

I think we'll get a better price by going through the broker.

Gina
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 8:31 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

We bought our Honda CR-V from the UK - but we had been into the dealer during our validation visit a few months before.

We might have got a better deal by arriving at the dealers and trawling around, but they did come down quite bit and the convenience of having transport ready the day after we arrived without the hassle of renting and returning made it worthwhile to us.

Incidentally, the CR-V is the best allround car I've ever had: comfortable, stable and carries a wad of stuff. We've moved house four times in it in three years!
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

gidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud of

Thanks for the feedback folks.

Adam 66 will be taking the CRV for a test drive this weekend. Have never driven one. I also like the accord which is around the same price. The Xtrail in nice but I really want to buy before we arrive. Don't buy the old model just before it changes. I did that on my old Audi and lots loads of money on resale.

JenJen would you not test drive at home before you travel? The car is pretty much the same except the engine size tends to be bigger in Oz. Car hire is so expensive.

GinaUK thanks for the link. Will try that out. Also found http://www.discountnewcars.com.au.

Wol your review of the CRV looks good. We were also looking at the Kia's but they are same price range as the CRV and I'd say the Honda is a much better car. Where did you buy and how much did you pay if you don't mind me asking
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wol
We bought our Honda CR-V from the UK - but we had been into the dealer during our validation visit a few months before.

We might have got a better deal by arriving at the dealers and trawling around, but they did come down quite bit and the convenience of having transport ready the day after we arrived without the hassle of renting and returning made it worthwhile to us.

Incidentally, the CR-V is the best allround car I've ever had: comfortable, stable and carries a wad of stuff. We've moved house four times in it in three years!
What paperwork, process and payment did you have to go through buying from the UK?
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 8:58 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I arranged the price on our visit and just emailed them with a date when we came out. I think I paid a deposit over the phone by credit card.

Price was $38k for the sport leather all singing and dancing model.

It's not light on fuel but there's nothing I would change. It's a *very* popular vehicle here because it's so versatile. I have a trailer and it pulls this when fully loaded no problems.

Last edited by Wol; Aug 22nd 2007 at 10:27 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

nurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant future

How many seats does the CRV have. We are hoping for something with 7 seats - any recommendations?
Lindsey
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 10:28 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by nurselindsey
How many seats does the CRV have. We are hoping for something with 7 seats - any recommendations?
Lindsey
Five seats but room for more on the roof....
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 10:47 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

There are a few with 7 seats... In fact there is a huge thread on it.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=376751

We brought a santa fe crdi for about 43K with extras over the net. Use drive.com.au to get all the local dealers to quote new car price for you and then deal with the best 3 until you get the deal you want.

The problem is cheap second hand is hard to find without 150K Km on it, and there are lots of v6 motors out there that drunk a lot of petrol.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 2:13 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

We ordered a Nissan Pathfinder Ti before we arrived and had it delivered to the airport. We had already test driven one in Oz and also the UK.

Note that you may need a Victorian drivers licence holder to sign a stat dec with a photocopy of their drivers licence if you dont have one yourselves to register the car.

Buzzy
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wol
It's not light on fuel but there's nothing I would change.
What sort of mpg are we talking about Wol? I've been a diesel driver for the past 6 years so I ain't looking forward to going back to petrol.

datamile the new Santa Fe is nice but I think it's overpriced to be honest. How do you find the diesel? What ind of mpg are you getting?

Buzzy--Bee thanks for the headsup on the drivers licence. I have a friend in Melbourne who may do this for me.

Any other suggestions for 4X4's or even cars other than the CRV. Would love to buy a diesel
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 7:50 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

IIRC I measured it at 9.5L/100Km which, by my reckoning is around the 29.7mpg.

I'm a very lightfooted driver and usually get a lot better consumption than the "book" figures.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wol
IIRC I measured it at 9.5L/100Km which, by my reckoning is around the 29.7mpg.

I'm a very lightfooted driver and usually get a lot better consumption than the "book" figures.
And thats a Diesel I wonder what mpg I'd be looking at with the CRV 2.4 Vtech? I'm getting about 50mpg on my Audi Tdi. But then I'm paying €1.05pl.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.