Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying a car on arrival?

Buying a car on arrival?

Old Oct 3rd 2010, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

pomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of light
Default Buying a car on arrival?

Hi once again if anyone can help id be grateful..

The 'plan' is to have a hire car for 48 hours max on arrivprobablyrth in December using it to shuttle around to buy a car probabally from a dealership

Can we just steam into a dealer and say i want that one splash the cash and deals done bearing in mind we wont have Australian drivers licence? Also we will have proof of no claims from the uk with us so any advice on insurance and anything else in the process would be welcome

Cheers
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 11:18 am
Just Joined

kemiktheviking is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buying a car on arrival?

Yes

Really simple, walk in wave some cash watch them dribble, they will try to sell you the biggest 4x4 car they can. Watch them tho they actually revel in what the call FOB's fresh iff the boat.............

You don't even need insurance but it will probable still take a day to clean and check so myabe 48hrs is ambitious.......

well that was the case whenI arrived in Perth 1999

Its easy, getting a license only takes a quick eye test too.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

wijay is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought my car a week after arriving in Adelaide. As long as you have money available, you could buy a car. It takes about 2-3 hours to sort the rego (could be done online), insurance (phone call or online), and going the bank if you already have an account in Oz. Apart from money, you need to have an address for your insurance, I think.

I was "lucky" because I bought my car (albeit secondhad) from a rental company which also has a seconhand car sale. Because I have rented from them, they let me pay the car in half, and the rest I paid the next week.

Regards
Wijay
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 12:50 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomerz
Hi once again if anyone can help id be grateful..

The 'plan' is to have a hire car for 48 hours max on arrivprobablyrth in December using it to shuttle around to buy a car probabally from a dealership

Can we just steam into a dealer and say i want that one splash the cash and deals done bearing in mind we wont have Australian drivers licence? Also we will have proof of no claims from the uk with us so any advice on insurance and anything else in the process would be welcome

Cheers
If you've got the candy you'll get the car. Just remember to bargain f**king hard and talk to as many dealers as possible. Play them off against each other.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold

We bought a car 5 days after we arrived, could have done it sooner but had a rental booked for a week which we could have easily extended. We viewed it on the forecourt on the Tuesday afternoon & picked it up the following morning. Hubby paid by bankers cheque although could have paid cash. You get 3rd party insurance with the rego so can drive it straight off the forecourt. Hubby drove ours to the house we were staying at & parked it up until he got fully comp insurance sorted. Rego runs out in the next week or so but we paid that on line - simple. It actually took us longer to decide which car seats to buy for the kids & even longer to sort out the flippin strap downs in the boot than to sort out the car itself.

Alison x
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

pomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by al150n
We bought a car 5 days after we arrived, could have done it sooner but had a rental booked for a week which we could have easily extended. We viewed it on the forecourt on the Tuesday afternoon & picked it up the following morning. Hubby paid by bankers cheque although could have paid cash. You get 3rd party insurance with the rego so can drive it straight off the forecourt. Hubby drove ours to the house we were staying at & parked it up until he got fully comp insurance sorted. Rego runs out in the next week or so but we paid that on line - simple. It actually took us longer to decide which car seats to buy for the kids & even longer to sort out the flippin strap downs in the boot than to sort out the car itself.

Alison x
Thanks all looks like its not so tough lets hope anyway lol
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 11:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

For cheap insurance try www.bingle.com.au Saved me $240 on the cheapest quote.

It's all done online though, so don't buy unless you don't mind that you have to claim via e-mail (this was a plus for me!)
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 11:58 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on which state you are buying in, if you buy a used car from a dealer he will have to give you a warranty - the duration of the compulsory warranty will vary with the value of the car and for cheap bangers may actually be zero.

In most states (but not in South Australia) a car cannot be registered to a new owner unless it has a current roadworthy certificate. Some states require regular roadworthy checks, some at change of ownership, and some only if the car has been issued with a defect notice.

All states require Compulsory Third Party insurance which can be paid for with the registration: this covers you against personal injury claims but not against third party property damage (or damage to your vehicle). It is illegal to drive a vehicle which does not have CTP: for the rest you takes your own chances.