Buying a Car

Old Jun 11th 2011, 4:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all
Default Buying a Car

Is there a good time of year for buying a car in Oz in order to get a good discount.
The Uk tends to be December as the trade is pretty slow at that time.

I've been told that mid to end June is a good time to buy from a dealer due to the tax year ending. Is this true.

What sort of discount should I be looking for on a car around $12000
Old Jun 12th 2011, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a Car

The industry is touting the japanese tsunami and nuke meltdown as a reason for a shortage of cars in an effort to keep prices high.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 1:00 am
Living our life wherever

Location: came back to oz after moving back to uk but not settled here so uk here i come, last time im moving
Trevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mvagusta
Is there a good time of year for buying a car in Oz in order to get a good discount.
The Uk tends to be December as the trade is pretty slow at that time.

I've been told that mid to end June is a good time to buy from a dealer due to the tax year ending. Is this true.

What sort of discount should I be looking for on a car around $12000
are you going to buy from private or trade,im affraid you wont get much off spending $12000, the cheapest car called a cherry is about all you will get with that as new but look at www.carsales.com.au
Old Jun 12th 2011, 5:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Car dealers can smell fresh off the boat poms at 100 paces... Expect to be talked into paying more for the heap of junk you are sold... Not less
Old Jun 12th 2011, 6:31 am
Living our life wherever

Location: came back to oz after moving back to uk but not settled here so uk here i come, last time im moving
Trevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by eddie007
Car dealers can smell fresh off the boat poms at 100 paces... Expect to be talked into paying more for the heap of junk you are sold... Not less
"FOBS" is short for "fresh of the boat" and it is used quite a bit near us,it is not only used for poms but anyone new to oz and not up to speed with australian ways etc
Old Jun 12th 2011, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all

Perhaps I should have said that it will be a used car.

I've been on the major sites for the last few weeks so there is some good buys privately and at dealers I just want to find out how flexible dealers are with their prices.
The Australian way is when a similar car is priced higher privately than at a dealer go figure.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 9:22 am
Living our life wherever

Perhaps I should have said that it will be a used car.

I've been on the major sites for the last few weeks so there is some good buys privately and at dealers I just want to find out how flexible dealers are with their prices.
The Australian way is when a similar car is priced higher privately than at a dealer go figure.
the prob you will have is it will and is usally more expensive to buy private as you need to make sure the car has a RWC and also you pay a lot of money to register in your name
if you bought for $12000 private then it will cost $420 plus transfer fee just to get it in your name then if it needs rego for a year a small 4cyl car like a rio will cost $635 per year just for rego and ctp then you need your insurance
Transferring registration

If you are looking to purchase a second-hand vehicle, motorbike, caravan or trailer it is advisable to do some homework before finalising the sale.
You may access the vehicle information check through Vcheck. Vcheck offers those planning to buy a second-hand vehicle a quick and easy way to obtain important information before purchase. A Vcheck report can be purchased for those vehicles manufactured on or after 1 January 1989.
To transfer the vehicle registration to your name you must provide the following:
  • a completed Transfer of Vehicle Registration Application form (F3520)
    available from any Department of Transport and Main Roads customer service centre or, if you live in a rural area, a Queensland Government Agency Program office or your local police station.
  • a current registration certificate
  • an original copy of a current Queensland safety certificate (unless exempt)
  • a gas certificate that is less than three months old
    if your vehicle runs on gas or is fitted with gas fittings or systems, you must provide a gas certificate from an authorised gas installer. If you are unable to obtain a gas certificate because there is no person who is authorised to issue gas inspection certificates within a reasonable distance of your residence, you must provide a gas exemption certificate issued by the Department of Employment, Economic Development and Innovation. Exemptions will not be issued for caravans or motorhomes.
  • evidence of the vehicle's garage address if it is different to your residential/business address
    current Queensland driver licence, property rates notice, gas, phone or electricity bill are acceptable.
  • evidence of identification
    • individual
      refer to the Evidence of Identity Information Sheet (F4362) for more information.
    • organisation
      organisation identification is required if you are registering a vehicle in an organisation's name — for example, certificate of incorporation (issued by the Office of Fair Trading), business registration (issued by the Office of Fair Trading), certificate of registration of a company (issued by ASIC — Australian Securities and Investments Commission) and so on. To register a vehicle in a business name, the proprietor of the business must also bring their Queensland driver licence as identification. If the proprietor is an organisation, evidence of identity of the organisation is required.
    • organisation representative
      must also bring proof that they are acting on behalf of the organisation. Evidence of Representation includes one of the following — a person is in their organisation's uniform, a business card or business identification, the person is a regular representative for the organisation at the customer service centre, documentation from the organisation on official letterhead, as well as the representative's personal identification, such as their Queensland driver licence.
  • fees payable
    • transfer fee
    • pro-rata registration fees, if the person selling the vehicle was entitled to concessional registration you will have to pay the difference in the vehicle fee for the remaining period of registration if you are not entitled to concessional registration
    • registration fee (if applicable)
    • vehicle registration duty (if applicable).

Note: there is a formula for calculating vehicle registration duty (previously called 'stamp duty'). For more information visit the Office of State Revenue website.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

scaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to all

And if I may ask, how does the financing work? Are loans available just based on an offer letter? and some down money?

We may need to buy a car as soon as we reach, but it will surely not be an all cash payment. My new job will have some shifted hours and I dont want to risk taking the train at odd hours in Sydney.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 12:01 pm
Living our life wherever

Originally Posted by scaria197
And if I may ask, how does the financing work? Are loans available just based on an offer letter? and some down money?

We may need to buy a car as soon as we reach, but it will surely not be an all cash payment. My new job will have some shifted hours and I dont want to risk taking the train at odd hours in Sydney.
im affraid you will have big problems with a loan as you have now credit history in australia
Old Jun 12th 2011, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

suzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Trevski
im affraid you will have big problems with a loan as you have now credit history in australia
there seems to be mixed opinions on this, some people say no chance of getting finance for a car, yet others have said they have got finance within weeks of arriving in Oz with just a contract of employment.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

PunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud of

My husband was told that he needed at least 3 months payslips in order to be considered for finance on a car.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

This thread is going off on a tangent as I'm not looking for finance, it's a cash sale.

So to post the original question if buying from a dealer would you expect to get a discount for a cash sale and if so, on a $12000 sale what discount would be normal.

Forget about the extras like transfer and rego as I have already taken this into account.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 11:13 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trevski
Originally Posted by suzanne7575
there seems to be mixed opinions on this, some people say no chance of getting finance for a car, yet others have said they have got finance within weeks of arriving in Oz with just a contract of employment.
Originally Posted by PunkDebutante
My husband was told that he needed at least 3 months payslips in order to be considered for finance on a car.
Finance is easy to get if you have a job starting - I got a credit card and a car loan within a week of arriving on the strength of a job i hadnt started yet.

This thread is going off on a tangent as I'm not looking for finance, it's a cash sale.

So to post the original question if buying from a dealer would you expect to get a discount for a cash sale and if so, on a $12000 sale what discount would be normal.

Forget about the extras like transfer and rego as I have already taken this into account.
Yes you can expect a discount. Ask for best price - there are lots of dealer sales advertised at the moment on used cars so shop around and use the "I can get a wotsit of this year for this much cheaper down the road" line - they are very competitive. When they have stopped knocking money of then start asking them to throw stuff in free, like car mats etc etc. Depends on the dealer but I reckon you should be looking at $1000 - 1500 off that for cash (if not more).

I just bought my first new car here - and ended up with about $8k off the RRP.

Happy car shopping!
Old Jun 13th 2011, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

PunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ponyrama
Finance is easy to get if you have a job starting - I got a credit card and a car loan within a week of arriving on the strength of a job i hadnt started yet.

Well that hasn't been our experience. My husband has been working in Brisbane on extremely good money for almost a month and no one, even the finance brokers, will even consider it until he has 3 months pay slips. I think it truly does vary from area to area.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ponyrama

Yes you can expect a discount. Ask for best price - there are lots of dealer sales advertised at the moment on used cars so shop around and use the "I can get a wotsit of this year for this much cheaper down the road" line - they are very competitive. When they have stopped knocking money of then start asking them to throw stuff in free, like car mats etc etc. Depends on the dealer but I reckon you should be looking at $1000 - 1500 off that for cash (if not more).

I just bought my first new car here - and ended up with about $8k off the RRP.

Happy car shopping!
Thanks for that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.