buying a car

Old Nov 5th 2007, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

kev235 has a brilliant futurekev235 has a brilliant futurekev235 has a brilliant futurekev235 has a brilliant futurekev235 has a brilliant futurekev235 has a brilliant future
Default buying a car

I am leaving for Perth in March 2008 (visa 163), and at present researching what cars are available etc. Does anyone know what a rego is ? I guess it is some sort of MOT. And do they have the equivilant of an HPi service to check for finance/stolen or damaged cars? Any other info would be welcome, such as the registration process, i.e what do you get in terms of paperwork when you buy a car? As you all know we get a V5/MOT etc, whats the score in Perth?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards Kevin
Old Nov 5th 2007, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

scrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud of
Default Re: buying a car

Originally Posted by kev235
I am leaving for Perth in March 2008 (visa 163), and at present researching what cars are available etc. Does anyone know what a rego is ? I guess it is some sort of MOT. And do they have the equivilant of an HPi service to check for finance/stolen or damaged cars? Any other info would be welcome, such as the registration process, i.e what do you get in terms of paperwork when you buy a car? As you all know we get a V5/MOT etc, whats the score in Perth?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards Kevin
Kev

If I were you I'd post this in the Australia forum instead of the immigration forum - you'll get answers in there from people who are already in Oz and will have done this.

Trish
Old Nov 5th 2007, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

kev235 has a brilliant futurekev235 has a brilliant futurekev235 has a brilliant futurekev235 has a brilliant futurekev235 has a brilliant futurekev235 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by scrum
Kev

If I were you I'd post this in the Australia forum instead of the immigration forum - you'll get answers in there from people who are already in Oz and will have done this.

Trish

Trish,

Yes I will, good ideal, many thanks

Kev
Old Nov 6th 2007, 9:06 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks in advance.

Regards Kevin
Rego is basic third party insurance which is compusary for all vehicles.
Third party insurance

Third Party Insurance is a compulsory part of your vehicle registration. Third Party Insurance is issued under the Motor Vehicle (Third Party Insurance ) Act (1943) and agrees to insure the driver of the vehicle against personal injury to other parties.

In Western Australia, the Insurance Commission of Western Australia is the only provider of Compulsory Third Party Insurance. Policy details are on the back of your vehicle licence.

What does it cover?
The Compulsory Third Party Insurance policy gives you unlimited protection in the event that a claim for personal injury or death is made against you as a result of your negligent driving. It does not however cover you for damage to any vehicles or property.
Your Compulsory Third Party Insurance policy gives you another benefit too. If you are injured due to the negligence of another driver, and can prove that negligence, your medical and associated expenses will be met under the terms of the policy.

There are conditions that apply to Third Party Insurance. You will find the conditions and warranties written on the back of your vehicle registration papers.

The Third Party Insurance coverage on all vehicle registrations lapses fifteen days after the registration expiry date, payment must be made within this period. You will not be insured after this time and the vehicle cannot be driven.

The account for certain types of vehicles requires the owner to choose between Private And Standard Rate options. If the wrong rate is paid and the vehicle is at default in an accident, then you, as the owner described in the vehicle licence issued may be in breach of the policy of insurance. This may then result in a recovery action by the Insurance Commission of Western Australia, against you, for the costs of settling that personal injury claim, in accordance with the Motor Vehicle (Third Party Insurance) Act 1943.

http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/yourvehicle/1381.asp

The RAC can perform a pre purchase inspection for you if needed. The Master Check gives a guarantee that should they miss anything, they'll warranty the repair for you!
Details here.....

http://rac.com.au/index.cfm?objectid...7E6E70F9C618E9

regards

Neil.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks in advance.

Regards Kevin
No such thing as an MOT in Perth hence the amount pieces of Shit on the road and the extortionate price of second hand cars, $5-7k for 10 yr old cars with about 200k+ on the clock, you wouldn't pay £100 for in the Uk, half these shouldn't be on the road. Keep the rego up to date and try not to draw attention to yourself and basically you keep driving it til it dies

John
Old Nov 6th 2007, 9:35 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
No such thing as an MOT in Perth hence the amount pieces of Shit on the road and the extortionate price of second hand cars, $5-7k for 10 yr old cars with about 200k+ on the clock, you wouldn't pay £100 for in the Uk, half these shouldn't be on the road. Keep the rego up to date and try not to draw attention to yourself and basically you keep driving it til it dies

John
you ever watched this program on TV

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/documentari...es/s359476.htm
Old Nov 6th 2007, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

warponydestroyer will become famous soon enoughwarponydestroyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au

Are u really buying that house - it looks fantastic!!
Old Nov 6th 2007, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au

Not seen that yet but plenty of vehicles in similar condition that have died at the side of the road with collapsed suspension/steering failure. About time they had yearly tests, but the doo-gooders seem this is unfair to those who cannot afford to get their vehicles regularly serviced but they seem happy to let these potential death traps stay on the roads. Don't even get me started on 17yr olds and "P" platers driving around in V8's with about 2 weeks driving experience under their belts then they wonder what they can do to prevent the high fatality rates of young drivers:curse:

John
Old Nov 6th 2007, 8:05 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Not seen that yet but plenty of vehicles in similar condition that have died at the side of the road with collapsed suspension/steering failure. About time they had yearly tests, but the doo-gooders seem this is unfair to those who cannot afford to get their vehicles regularly serviced but they seem happy to let these potential death traps stay on the roads. Don't even get me started on 17yr olds and "P" platers driving around in V8's with about 2 weeks driving experience under their belts then they wonder what they can do to prevent the high fatality rates of young drivers:curse:

John
I think in NSW theres a MOT kinda thing... from memory.

The Bush Mechanics... funy as

They break down, petrol pumps knackered... so they rig up windscreen squirter motor to carby... and drive along squirting windscreen to keep car goin !!!

Shockin but funny as
Old Nov 6th 2007, 9:51 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

John
I agree, I can't believe the amount of death traps on the road here. All quite funny until someone you know gets killed.