British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Buying Aussie dollars (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/buying-aussie-dollars-417052/)

Loz4Oz Jan 5th 2007 2:08 pm

Buying Aussie dollars

Hi folks,
we are flying out to Melbourne on the 14th January and want to order some cash to take (Au$) with us.
Who offers the best rates? The P.O are currently selling at $2.35.

Cheers, Loz

BertieB Jan 5th 2007 2:19 pm

Re: Buying Aussie dollars

Originally Posted by Loz4Oz (Post 4251928)
Hi folks,
we are flying out to Melbourne on the 14th January and want to order some cash to take (Au$) with us.

Cheers, Loz

We always use M&S as their rates are better - here's the link

http://www.fxcorporation.co.uk/marks...ange_rates.asp

Ann :)

Nikki.P Jan 5th 2007 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Loz4Oz (Post 4251928)
Hi folks,

Cheers, Loz

Hiya

For holiday money we've always found the cheque guarantee centre to have the best rates on the high street.

Nikki

Weasy Jan 5th 2007 5:32 pm

You could always try travelex.com, good rates, order and pay online and pick up at the airport - easy.

Lou
xx

DrWho Jan 5th 2007 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by Weasy (Post 4252495)
You could always try travelex.com, good rates, order and pay online and pick up at the airport - easy.

Lou
xx

Yup, and I thought Travelex advertise that their rates will always be the best... The only thing to watch out for I think is that if you pay online your own bank might treat it as a cash withdrawal from another banks ATM and make a small charge as such... That's happened to us before... Perhaps if it's a only a small amount just turn up at the Travelex office and exchange with pounds cash...

ANNE&JAY Jan 5th 2007 8:59 pm

We fly out from Manchester also on the 14th January for a month. I got some Aussie dollars today and the rate was 2.381. That was from Thomas Cook but I have been watching the rate and it seems to be going down. The week before christmas they were offering 2.425.

If I was you I'd get them as soon as possible!

Anne

p.s we used cash to avoid any charges

Loz4Oz Jan 5th 2007 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by ANNE&JAY (Post 4253080)
We fly out from Manchester also on the 14th January for a month. I got some Aussie dollars today and the rate was 2.381. That was from Thomas Cook but I have been watching the rate and it seems to be going down. The week before christmas they were offering 2.425.

If I was you I'd get them as soon as possible!

Anne

p.s we used cash to avoid any charges

Thanks Anne, who are you flying with? We're going from Manchester with Emirates.

Thanks for the replies folks, it's been a great help.

Cheers, Loz :beer: :beer: :beer:

Weasy Jan 5th 2007 10:25 pm

Not if you get a Nationwide debit card........

Lou
xx

Originally Posted by rodders39 (Post 4252899)
Yup, and I thought Travelex advertise that their rates will always be the best... The only thing to watch out for I think is that if you pay online your own bank might treat it as a cash withdrawal from another banks ATM and make a small charge as such... That's happened to us before... Perhaps if it's a only a small amount just turn up at the Travelex office and exchange with pounds cash...

esperanza Jan 5th 2007 10:52 pm

If you have a nationwide debit card you can just take out the cash when you get there, no worries and no charges - not sure about the rate though.

ANNE&JAY Jan 8th 2007 9:14 am

Hi Loz,
We go from Manchester as well with emirates at approx 19.45. Are we on the same flight. If so we can meet up and have a chat. Also I went shopping in Manchester yesterday and bought some more dollars at Marks and spencer for 2.381. Hope you have got sorted.

anne xxx

Loz4Oz Jan 8th 2007 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by ANNE&JAY (Post 4259397)
Hi Loz,
We go from Manchester as well with emirates at approx 19.45. Are we on the same flight. If so we can meet up and have a chat. Also I went shopping in Manchester yesterday and bought some more dollars at Marks and spencer for 2.381. Hope you have got sorted.

anne xxx

Hi Anne,
we fly at 13:30, it can't come round soon enough though. I'm really stressing now. We sold (more like gave away :mad: ) our cars today, packers come on Wednesday we will complete on the house on Friday, leaving do Friday night... god will I be ready for that.:beer: :beer: :beer:
We got our dollars at M&S too, we didn't even need to order them, at least something's going right for us!!

Good luck with your move and hope you have a good flight, Loz.