Buying a 4wd advice please....

Buying a 4wd advice please....

Old Aug 16th 2008, 6:15 am
drb
Forum Regular

drb is on a distinguished road
Default Buying a 4wd advice please....

hi,
i am in the process of looking to buy a 4wd for a bit of off roading/beach driving and i'm afraid to say my knowledge of anything vehicle related is minimal to say the least!
i'm looking at probably getting either a nissan patrol or a mitsubishi pajero as i dont mind the look of either of these and was wondering if anyone had any advice on whats good or bad about either of these makes or any other make of 4wd for that matter. i'm also not sure on whether to buy one with all the bull bars,snorkels etc on them which obviously indicates it has been used a fair bit off road before or to play it safe and try and get one without cos that could mean it has been used just on normal roads.
i'm looking to spend upto $20k max but probably more round the $10k mark.
cheers
dan
Old Aug 16th 2008, 6:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a 4wd advice please....

Originally Posted by drb
hi,
i am in the process of looking to buy a 4wd for a bit of off roading/beach driving and i'm afraid to say my knowledge of anything vehicle related is minimal to say the least!
i'm looking at probably getting either a nissan patrol or a mitsubishi pajero as i dont mind the look of either of these and was wondering if anyone had any advice on whats good or bad about either of these makes or any other make of 4wd for that matter. i'm also not sure on whether to buy one with all the bull bars,snorkels etc on them which obviously indicates it has been used a fair bit off road before or to play it safe and try and get one without cos that could mean it has been used just on normal roads.
cheers
dan

Have a look at http://www.carsurvey.org/ for owner reviews of each.

You'll get something decent in each for 10K.

I've got a Pajero, never done any serious off-roading, engine although a 3.5 litre seems a little underpowered. Patrol are supposed to be the best 4x4 for serious off-roading, but I'm sure a Landcruiser owner will tell you dfferent. Landcruiser around the 10k mark are thin on the ground or high kms. Have a good look round and don't be afraid to haggle, price of petrol means its a buyers market in the 4x4 sector. Pajero and Patrol are adaptable because they're generally 7/8 seater. If you've no need for the extra seats, have a look at the Toyota HiLux Surf (4Runner), suposedly very good on the sand and plenty about for less than 10k. The Surf are grey imports, the 4Runner the Oz delivered equivalent.

As for nudge bars, snorkels etc, doesn't necessarily mean they've been used off-road. Suspension lift and big tyres probably does. Don't be put off by high kms, more important they've got a full service history (log book).

Also if you spot one privately you're keen on, don't be afraid to ask the seller if its ok to put it through a presale inspection check at the local garage.

Last edited by spartacus; Aug 16th 2008 at 6:55 am.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 9:25 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

I had a drive off roading in a mates Pajero in Tassie. Loved it. As soon as i sat down in the seat it felt like i had driven it for a while. Excellent. I hired a Nissan X-Trail a few times there. It was ok but i would be scared to go off road in wild country. Still i would not mind a free one. I did not like the instrument panel in the middle of the dashboard. My mate drove the Pajero along the beach then up over some big logs and up over sand dunes. The car did it effortlessly. Below are some video clips of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2Ofeq8rznU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pkd-0...eature=related

Old Aug 16th 2008, 9:46 am
drb
Forum Regular

with the pajero is there much difference with the performance as most of the ones i've seen are petrol versions?
also there is a bloke a my work who is a bit of a 4wd "expert" who says if getting a patrol only get a 4.2 as 2.8s are crap with loads of problems, dont by a surf as they have loads of probs, in fact almost every motor i find he seems to think that the particular model if find have mechanical issues which is kinda putting me off them. Dont know whether to just ignore what he says or not. He did come with me to look at a 4.2 patrol the other day and fair play to him he did find a few faults that i wouldnt of had a clue about.
Its all too confusing!!
Old Aug 16th 2008, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

ollieclaret has a spectacular aura aboutollieclaret has a spectacular aura aboutollieclaret has a spectacular aura about

hi there
ive had a few isuzus, troopers and bighorns which make the holden rodeo, have you considered these.
I used to take mine offroading and when i had one in NZ that went on the beach no problems and the 3.1 td is a bullet proof engine, im not too keen on the pajeros.
if you do go on the beach give it a good swill afterwards.

Darren
Old Aug 16th 2008, 10:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ollieclaret
hi there
ive had a few isuzus, troopers and bighorns which make the holden rodeo, have you considered these.
I used to take mine offroading and when i had one in NZ that went on the beach no problems and the 3.1 td is a bullet proof engine, im not too keen on the pajeros.
if you do go on the beach give it a good swill afterwards.

Darren
Can't get the big Isuzu's here, just the two doors.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 10:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by drb
with the pajero is there much difference with the performance as most of the ones i've seen are petrol versions?
also there is a bloke a my work who is a bit of a 4wd "expert" who says if getting a patrol only get a 4.2 as 2.8s are crap with loads of problems, dont by a surf as they have loads of probs, in fact almost every motor i find he seems to think that the particular model if find have mechanical issues which is kinda putting me off them. Dont know whether to just ignore what he says or not. He did come with me to look at a 4.2 patrol the other day and fair play to him he did find a few faults that i wouldnt of had a clue about.
Its all too confusing!!
4.2 will be better than the 2.8 (too underpowered).

For a car under 10K, you'll be looking at an 1998/9 absolute tops. Every ten year old car need will have something that needs doing. They require work to keep them on the road; preventative maintenance and unexpected repair. However, if you get a good one the cost of this will be minimal compared to the depreciation on a newer, more expensive model. Parts for 4x4's are expensive, I had to stick a new clutch in mine recently, not much change out of 2 grand. So if you don't like big bills don't get one.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

ollieclaret has a spectacular aura aboutollieclaret has a spectacular aura aboutollieclaret has a spectacular aura about

sorry holden jackeroo for the bigger one
Old Aug 16th 2008, 1:12 pm

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

I had a big book called the dog and lemon giude. It had all the problems listed of most cars ever made. Mind you after reading it it would put you off buying any car. However it did mention that Pajeros can over heat. This happened when we were out for a drive. Mind you we were climbing up a steep hill at the time. He had not put enough coolant into the system. There are loads of 4X4 sites you can find out loads of stuff. There are some good Aussie sites linked to magazines they do. The gear you can buy is amazing. I was looking at Pajeros, and Toyotas and Nissan. Not bothered about Landrover as i used to have an old 88" 2.25 petrol job. I shudder to think how much that would cost to run these days. Still i loved it though.
Old Aug 17th 2008, 1:28 am
BE Enthusiast

longreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by drb
hi,
cheers
dan
We've got an 02 Pajero and covered nearly 100,000K's in it (it now up to 200,000K's, bought it with 100,00 on it).

It's been absolutely faultless and it gets a real hammering off road. We have had it lifted and mud tyres on it. Done loads of sand driving.... not a problem. In fact I have had to rescue 2 patrols on Fraser which I don't think they enjoyed too much!

In your price range you will probably be looking at the 3.0 petrol or the 2.8 diesel. Both a pretty reliable although the diesel is probably a little underpowered if you are going to pull anthything. Have a look at http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/index.php some good stuff on there.

Never had a patrol so can't comment. The only thing I know is there 3.0 TD engine is an absolute shocker with loads of problems.

Good luck.
Old Aug 17th 2008, 9:14 am
drb
Forum Regular

what sort of litres per gallon does the petrol pajeros use? Was thinking of only looking at a diesel cos thought petrol wouldn't be as good for off road??
Old Aug 17th 2008, 9:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by drb
what sort of litres per gallon does the petrol pajeros use? Was thinking of only looking at a diesel cos thought petrol wouldn't be as good for off road??
The petrol gets approximately 4.45 litres per gallon.
Old Aug 17th 2008, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

Hi as i work & teach in the diesel trade i see 4x4 every day the patrol 4.2td seems to be the best as far as runing cost go, they are old school diesels, no electronics to go wrong, if you want any info on diesel powered 4x4 just send me pm Gary
Old Aug 17th 2008, 10:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by drb
Its all too confusing!!
Iknow the 3.0 diesel is pants and problematic - friends have had 2 motors gone in 3 years.

10k won't get you anything at all really apart from a hobby car.
Old Aug 17th 2008, 11:10 am
drb
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

10k won't get you anything at all really apart from a hobby car.
I'm not thinking of making a career out of it!!

Maybe best to avoid those 3.0 diesels then - thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.