Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buy before coming in a few months or not? Rentals in Brisbane?

Buy before coming in a few months or not? Rentals in Brisbane?

Old Jan 19th 2011, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Buy before coming in a few months or not? Rentals in Brisbane?

Company is paying relocation costs to Brisbane so would I be better buying these things before coming or not?

Hoover
Microwave
Barbecue
Pots etc
Crockery
Cutlery

I also know some of you have rentals available, looking for short term rental of 4-6 weeks from Mid-Late March suitable for young kids and with good public transport links to CBD, any offers/ideas, looking at $100 a night tops.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 9:30 pm
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buy before coming in a few months or not? Rentals in Brisbane?

Originally Posted by bingobob777
Company is paying relocation costs to Brisbane so would I be better buying these things before coming or not?

Hoover
Microwave
Barbecue
Pots etc
Crockery
Cutlery

I also know some of you have rentals available, looking for short term rental of 4-6 weeks from Mid-Late March suitable for young kids and with good public transport links to CBD, any offers/ideas, looking at $100 a night tops.

Hey

No buy your gear out here...be cheaper without shipping costs and hassle

Dunno bout rentals..but a woman was on tv whinging that she could'nt get a rental for $1500 a week
Old Jan 19th 2011, 9:35 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 4500 Times
Hey

Dunno bout rentals..but a woman was on tv whinging that she could'nt get a rental for $1500 a week
I would think housing in Qld is going to be at a premium over the next few months while rebuilding is going on. All those people who lost their homes are going to have to live somewhere.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 3:31 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by 4500 Times
Hey

When you are picky, things do get difficult...
$1,600 pw with 2 double garages and 11 metre pontoon for boat parking on the canal at the bottom of the garden.
http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...dale-404988834

Old Jan 20th 2011, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
When you are picky, things do get difficult...
$1,600 pw with 2 double garages and 11 metre pontoon for boat parking on the canal at the bottom of the garden.
http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...dale-404988834
The canal may not be such an attraction these days
Old Jan 20th 2011, 4:00 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by freebo
The canal may not be such an attraction these days
These ones had no flooding, and probably never will, (until Stradbroke Island goes below the Pacific Ocean level), you have to pick your locations

Only a very small part of Brisbane was actually flooded.

Old Jan 20th 2011, 4:41 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

These ones had no flooding, and probably never will, (until Stradbroke Island goes below the Pacific Ocean level), you have to pick your locations

Only a very small part of Brisbane was actually flooded.
Wonder what the tsunami risk is like there....
Old Jan 20th 2011, 8:59 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Wonder what the tsunami risk is like there....
We shall see in the next 4 years....
19 May 2005
Queensland could be the victim of a tsunami or other earthquake-related consequences in the next 10 years, according to UQ researchers.
http://www.uq.edu.au/news/?article=7153
Oh, but one article does say that Stradbroke may break any tsunami before it hits us.. I suppose it could temper it slightly ?

Old Jan 20th 2011, 9:11 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

We shall see in the next 4 years....
19 May 2005
Queensland could be the victim of a tsunami or other earthquake-related consequences in the next 10 years, according to UQ researchers.
http://www.uq.edu.au/news/?article=7153
Oh, but one article does say that Stradbroke may break any tsunami before it hits us.. I suppose it could temper it slightly ?
Would depend on the angle the waves were coming from amongst other things. The islands would probably delay the approach similar to the Barrier Reef protecting the Far North a bit, but a lot depends on the origin of the tsunami and the site and strength of the earthquake causing it. I know huge areas of the Gold Coast are at major risk from a tsunami as they are so low-lying so parts of the bayside could certainly feel some powerful effects as well.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

lynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nice

Hoover
Microwave
Barbecue
Pots etc
Crockery
Cutlery

If your employer is paying for the removals costs you should definitely buy appliances in the UK. The same brands are aprox 30% more expensive here. So yes on the Hoover and Microwave. I bought a Samsung washing machine in the UK before comming over and saved 40%. Saved 30% on my Miele vacume cleaner. I would say that barbecues are cheaper here and there is a much greater variety. Crockery and Cutlery is probably the same, but if there is something particular that you like then bring it over.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

backdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nice

Hoover
Microwave
Barbecue
Pots etc
Crockery
Cutlery

You can try either of these ...

www.headstarthomestay.com.au or www.auspitality.com.au

I have not stayed at either but am considering booking one. I will let you know how it is if you are interested. They are both $85 a night for a family of 4.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

backdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nice

Also check www.gumtree.com.au that is where we eventually found ours.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I would think housing in Qld is going to be at a premium over the next few months while rebuilding is going on. All those people who lost their homes are going to have to live somewhere.
There's not many of them that will have money to pay for accommodation. How many were insured? I think the potential effect of the floods has been a little exaggerated.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Hoover
Microwave
Barbecue
Pots etc
Crockery
Cutlery

I'd buy everything in the UK apart from the BBQ. The choice of barbies is much greater here and it wouldn't surprise me if the gas connection will be different here to the UK
Old Jan 30th 2011, 2:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Hoover
Microwave
Barbecue
Pots etc
Crockery
Cutlery

depends on whT you use... Denby, wedgwood, royal dolton all premium price and with exchnage rate even more expensive here... Like wise le crueset.. And quality pans... Cutlery... Same... Buy a premium vacuum cleaner and ship it... Out of touch with uk prices but with the exchNge rate i'd probably fill that container....

DO NOT... Repeat DO NOT buy a barbie and ship it... Unless you want to be doing the equivilant of driving a reliant robin once you get here...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.