Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Busy Britian..... take 2

Busy Britian..... take 2

Old Jul 9th 2003, 9:19 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Busy Britian..... take 2

Oh don't spoil it for them.

People like to think they have such great powers.
Old Jul 9th 2003, 9:46 pm
Badge

Originally posted by etlniwd
Before you all get carried away.

This was not taken last night. This website does not provide real photographs - they are just mock ups. Did you really think that they send up a satellite to exactly where you specify and get it to take a photo just for you ?

They can't send a satellite to the right place "for you" but

a) if a satellite's orbit takes it over the right place then there is a "window of opportunity" and it is not an impossibility.

b)I think the military can manouvre some of their satellites on the fly by burning to adjust orbit level. A geosynchrnous satellite will match the earth's revolution and appear to "hang" in the same place.

badgers

Old Jul 9th 2003, 11:45 pm
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by badgersmount
They can't send a satellite to the right place "for you" but

a) if a satellite's orbit takes it over the right place then there is a "window of opportunity" and it is not an impossibility.

b)I think the military can manouvre some of their satellites on the fly by burning to adjust orbit level. A geosynchrnous satellite will match the earth's revolution and appear to "hang" in the same place.

badgers
Another site for views of the planet

http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/
Old Jul 9th 2003, 11:48 pm
Be true to your skew

Originally posted by etlniwd
Before you all get carried away.

This was not taken last night. This website does not provide real photographs - they are just mock ups. Did you really think that they send up a satellite to exactly where you specify and get it to take a photo just for you ?
Please elaborate of the nature of these mock-ups, as I am terribly disappointed and will have to speak to NASA about how they have been conning me and possibly take the Pookin satellite out of orbit immediately.
Old Jul 9th 2003, 11:53 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Pookin
Another site for views of the planet

http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/
WOW !! Exxxcelent link !

Thanks for that. Do a search of aus. Some of the bush fire images are incredible!
Old Jul 10th 2003, 12:08 am
gOD
Forum Regular

gOD is an unknown quantity at this point

The Eastern side of the USA is more populated than I realised.

Looking at this makes me realise that the UK is one of the most over populated parts of the world.

Apart from Japan, Singapore, HK, India, Monaco, Macau, Gaza Strip, Bermuda, Malta, Bangladesh, Mauritius, Nauru, Sth Korea, Netherlands, Puerto Rico, Tuvalu, Mayotte, Martinique, Marshall Islands, Aruba, Lebanon, Belgium, Rwanda, Sri Lanka, Grenada, Israel, El Salvador, Guam, Philippines, Saint Lucia, haiti, Jamaica (to name a few)
Old Jul 10th 2003, 12:18 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

http://www.photius.com/wfb1999/ranki...density_0.html

There you go.....UK ranks at 49, Aus is 230.

As the lass from Wales often states though, this is more England thats high in density, than Wales and Scotland. For demographics I often feel the seperate nations should be split and looked at seperatly.
Old Jul 10th 2003, 12:27 am
Badge

Originally posted by gOD
Apart from Japan, Singapore, HK, India, Monaco, Macau, Gaza Strip, Bermuda, Malta, Bangladesh, Mauritius, Nauru, Sth Korea, Netherlands, Puerto Rico, Tuvalu, Mayotte, Martinique, Marshall Islands, Aruba, Lebanon, Belgium, Rwanda, Sri Lanka, Grenada, Israel, El Salvador, Guam, Philippines, Saint Lucia, haiti, Jamaica (to name a few)

indeed - one of the most overpopulated industrial First World countries I should have said

after Netherlands/Hong Kong/Japan/Singapore ..and a few more....we're next!!!

Have to admit didn't know this. I thought we were quite a bit "less populated".

badgers

Old Jul 10th 2003, 12:39 am
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by PeteY
http://www.photius.com/wfb1999/ranki...density_0.html

There you go.....UK ranks at 49, Aus is 230.

As the lass from Wales often states though, this is more England thats high in density, than Wales and Scotland. For demographics I often feel the seperate nations should be split and looked at seperatly.
That's because all the Taffs and Jocks move to England to get work.
Old Jul 10th 2003, 12:41 am
BE Enthusiast

65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice

A higher resolution of the world image at night can be obtained by going to:

http://www.cs.hut.fi/~mox/world-at-night/

satellites which remain above a fixed point on the Earth are known as"geostationary".

bye

65kk:lecture:
Old Jul 10th 2003, 12:45 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

What is everyone trying to prove?

Why not take out the small island states, such as Hong Kong and Singapore, and why not Wales and Scotland too. Then only Japan has a higher population density than England. But everyone knows the Japs are mad. Where does that leave England? The most populated sane nation in the world, ....or is it sane?

There's statistics and then there is STATISTICS.

Obviously on average UK is more populated than either Australia or NZ (and other countries are not really of interest to this forum - are they?).

However, to point out the obvious someone moving from a suburb of say Leeds or Edinburgh will find central Sydney awfully cramped by comparison.

Some people seem to claim the population density is a big factor in their decision to emigrate, but then decide (perhaps because of where their current career's jobs are) to move to Sydney, Melbourne or Auckland.
That's fine by me. But in some cases they are not changing their lifestyle as much as they would like to make out. Those cities are still viewed by other parts of Aust/NZ as being part of the ratrace.

Thats my 5.6c worth for you. (I'm monitoring the GBP/NZD exchange rate just now, so 2p gets me....)
Old Jul 10th 2003, 12:49 am
Be true to your skew

That we like looking at pictures?
Old Jul 10th 2003, 1:45 am
Badge

Originally posted by 65 million
A higher resolution of the world image at night can be obtained by going to:

http://www.cs.hut.fi/~mox/world-at-night/

satellites which remain above a fixed point on the Earth are known as"geostationary".

bye

65kk:lecture:
cheers thanks!

Old Jul 10th 2003, 1:57 am
Here in Dunedin

Originally posted by Pookin

That we like looking at pictures?

They are amazing photos!

I've had workmates looking over my shoulder trying to work out which cities are where in Europe.

France and Spain are very interesting, with lots of space generally, but then big capital cities.
Old Jul 10th 2003, 11:46 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

The Eastern side of the USA is more populated than I realised.

Looking at this makes me realise that the UK is one of the most over populated parts of the world.
Pray tell me how many million's Melbourne has living in what area , people bunch together where ever they are , the lights in Australia are third world it's a wonder any showed up it's near impossible to read street names at night here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.