Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Business (maybe even first) class - which airline?

Business (maybe even first) class - which airline?

Old Jun 8th 2010, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Business (maybe even first) class - which airline?

Unlike some of you worldly types (or those whose travel is funded by their employers), I've never paid to fly business class and haven't been upgraded for more than 20 years either. I always said I'd fly cattle class until we had paid off our mortgage (so not yet) until I came across bcworld's very interesting thread here - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=653462.

We're planning on a holiday in Australia probably next February/March (not ready for the one way flight yet). Which airline would you choose to fly in business or maybe first with - preferably Star Alliance ones - and why, bearing in mind we will probably fly London - Sydney (though could go to a different Australian city if necessary), are not planning a stopover and accept we might have to go a weird and wonderful route to get frequent flyer flights?
Old Jun 8th 2010, 1:31 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Business (maybe even first) class - which airline?

LHR to SYD I would fly Virgin Atlantic Upper Class (Business). They are linked to *A and the simply legendary Heathrow Club House complete with spa, restaurant, massage, hairdressers etc, limo service and private security channel, together with the great business product makes it hard to beat on this sector.

Club House in Hong Kong is great and there is the revivals lounge in Heathrow for the return. Seriously offers some very hard to beat competition on that route. If you have never traveled Virgin Upper Class I would highly recommend it as being the most complete service that's head and shoulders above in its ground services and a decent flat bed, pyjamas and bar in the sky. I go out of my way to fly VS and have flown with them a couple of times a year.

If looking for a pure *A airline then consider Air New Zealand. Yes its the long way round (LHR - LA - AKL - SYD with the extra luggage allowance it offers) but you get a stop in LA if you want it or Auckland but the service and the seating in business is excellent - the same as virgin. It can however make for long flying, but since I enjoy that sort of thing and get to eat fantastic food, drink great wines in a bed in the sky - I like this routing and am going to do it again this year.

Thai in First is nice but I would not consider business class, hence are more expensive than the above options. Not that business is terrible you understand, but compared to the above the business class product is poor.

Singapore Airlines. Hard to recommend because of the dodgy restrictions they have on reward flights which entails "new" planes - basically all the planes which fly out of LHR for a start. Also the business cabins are showing wear. The First Class service is excellent however, although its impossible to get an award in "suites" but the standard first cabin in still excellent also. Business is very so so as a product although the service excellent.

That's about all the real options on *A or affiliated you'll be able to get awards on. Hope that helps some. When using miles for more than one person a lot of the time its about availability rather than choice. Bon chance !

Last edited by Centurion; Jun 8th 2010 at 1:48 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 1:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

My husband's flown upper class with Virgin many times but in his opinion Singapore Airlines are the best.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 2:43 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My husband's flown upper class with Virgin many times but in his opinion Singapore Airlines are the best.
I think iirc bc said in his thread that F and J class are virtually impossible to get in SQ
Old Jun 8th 2010, 4:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EvannTel
I think iirc bc said in his thread that F and J class are virtually impossible to get in SQ
Ah...maybe they reserve the seats for business travellers as they are more likely to get ongoing business from big companies.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 4:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

We are in Australia at the moment and came out in business class. We went for Cathay Pacific, which I am afriad is One World not Star Alliance. The reasons we chose them are that: a) the bed is completely flat, many of the business class seats are not quite flat but are at a very slight angle and I find this extremely annoying (even though they market as being flatbed); b) they were competitively priced and c) because we collect One World miles.

I don't really care about lounges, which is just as well as I thought the one in Hong Kong was absolute rubbish. Very disappointing, I had thought the Cathay lounge in Hong Kong would be something to behold.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

I did the deal a few months ago that Bcworld explains. I flew Thai first. It was great but I have nothing to compare it to. Excellant service, food and wine. The chair went horizontal but did have a few bumps at the joins. The thai first class at bangkok was nice and the spa gave a very welcome full massage
Old Jun 9th 2010, 9:20 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Safin
I did the deal a few months ago that Bcworld explains. I flew Thai first. It was great but I have nothing to compare it to. Excellant service, food and wine. The chair went horizontal but did have a few bumps at the joins. The thai first class at bangkok was nice and the spa gave a very welcome full massage
Glad you enjoyed it Safin!

For the purposes of taking advantage of the US Airways deal I would have to say Thai - because the availability is so good. The only thing is there is a tiny chance of getting a very old seat product between London & Bangkok - and it is a tiny chance - but it would ruin it for me.

There is ZERO chance of a Singapore Airlines seat between the UK and SIN.

Another airline I have noticed which has good availability is Swiss - but you would have to connect in Zurich - and Thai will take you BKK - SYD.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

I've been researching this. It's hard work!!

We're looking at 3 weeks or so leaving London at any point between mid-Feb and early March. We want to stop over for a day or two on the way back (direct flight out).

Virgin are out as you can't book reward flights between Sydney and London for anything other than Economy. Singapore are out for much the same reason. Air New Zealand don't seem to have anything available.

Which realistically leaves Thai unless anyone knows better. Two questions. The flights back from Bangkok to Heathrow are either 00.15 - 06.20, so all night-time (and only 1st class available and then only on Wednesdays), or 13.30 - 19.35 (mostly day-time). Is business/first so wonderful that I will wish I was awake to take advantage of it, or is the best thing that I should be able to get some sleep?

Secondly, the last date which is showing on the ANA website is 26 March. Does anyone know when the next couple of weeks will be available?
Old Jun 17th 2010, 10:57 pm
The Mango King

Antney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to all

Originally Posted by louie
Unlike some of you worldly types (or those whose travel is funded by their employers), I've never paid to fly business class and haven't been upgraded for more than 20 years either. I always said I'd fly cattle class until we had paid off our mortgage (so not yet) until I came across bcworld's very interesting thread here - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=653462.

We're planning on a holiday in Australia probably next February/March (not ready for the one way flight yet). Which airline would you choose to fly in business or maybe first with - preferably Star Alliance ones - and why, bearing in mind we will probably fly London - Sydney (though could go to a different Australian city if necessary), are not planning a stopover and accept we might have to go a weird and wonderful route to get frequent flyer flights?
EMIRATES business class everytime.

Try and make sure its one of their Boeing 777 aircraft as the bed goes flat and they even bring out mattresses for you to lie on.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 11:02 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
We are in Australia at the moment and came out in business class. We went for Cathay Pacific, which I am afriad is One World not Star Alliance. The reasons we chose them are that: a) the bed is completely flat, many of the business class seats are not quite flat but are at a very slight angle and I find this extremely annoying (even though they market as being flatbed); b) they were competitively priced and c) because we collect One World miles.

I don't really care about lounges, which is just as well as I thought the one in Hong Kong was absolute rubbish. Very disappointing, I had thought the Cathay lounge in Hong Kong would be something to behold.
we did cathay too. Be careful of which legs are classified as regional business class or world business class - brisbane-hkg is 'regional' so you dont get flat beds. But the lhr-hkg is world and was great.

The 1st class lounge in Cathay HK was voted #1 airport lounge about 2yrs ago by conde nast - its the dogs nuts. The business class lounge is ok as they go - there are 2 , one is better than the other and has a big games room with Playstations etc. Qantas lounge in HK fo rbsiness is now better than cathay's after they upgraded it before that it was mixed with BA's which was just awful.

on double deckers if you go up stairs for business class you generally get better service, less cramped cabin, because its always 2+2 and fewer people up there ,its a nicer part of the plane plus its just 'hell its upstairs! on a freekin plane! woooo'.

First class is not worth it. You get a smaller cabin with more staff. The food is a little better, the wine list is a little better, and you get dom perignon or similar on take off. If you are into all that then great... THe other thing when ive flown 1st ive noticed is they let you keep your seat reclined for take off, nuts.... You get slightly nicer pyjamas, and slightly nicer amenities pack, but its honestly a waste.

Qantas business class is quite nice the beds arent that flat but you get a good sleep on them and the service is usually good food is good etc. You do run risk of getting a miserable and old cabin crew on 1 in 10 flights, i dunno why , you dont get that on anyone else ive flown business with they are always lovely , qantas just seem to have this random crew who synchronise their schedule with mine to irritate me.

singapore airlines busniess class is very nice as well - but as everyone else has said they are attrociously tight on points awards and upgrades. Qantas have an 'any seat' award system which means you can get any seat on any plane (of course they cost more in points than the general award seats). Qantas miles program is free to join from UK , but about 100$ i think if you are australian.

Last edited by spalen; Jun 17th 2010 at 11:06 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

The flights back from Bangkok to Heathrow are either 00.15 - 06.20, so all night-time (and only 1st class available and then only on Wednesdays), or 13.30 - 19.35 (mostly day-time). Is business/first so wonderful that I will wish I was awake to take advantage of it, or is the best thing that I should be able to get some sleep?
Anyone have any thoughts?

Secondly, the last date which is showing on the ANA website is 26 March. Does anyone know when the next couple of weeks will be available?
Seems the answer to this is that the timetable for the next six months has not been released yet (at least to third parties). Apparently Thai are always comparatively late in doing this. As we want to fly out pre 26 March, when available flights are known and presumably are being booked all the time, I think there would be a big risk of losing these flights by waiting for the new timetable. I presume I can't book the outward leg and not the return - does anyone know any different?
Old Jun 18th 2010, 12:38 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone have any thoughts?

Seems the answer to this is that the timetable for the next six months has not been released yet (at least to third parties). Apparently Thai are always comparatively late in doing this. As we want to fly out pre 26 March, when available flights are known and presumably are being booked all the time, I think there would be a big risk of losing these flights by waiting for the new timetable. I presume I can't book the outward leg and not the return - does anyone know any different?
ring them - they'll sort it out for you, they can book those flights on the phone.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 12:40 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

With the US Airways miles you have to book a return (you can book a one-way but they'll charge you return miles cost) - you can change the dates later but there may be a hefty admin fee involved - Kingseat might know, she's done it.

Personally I wouldn't be too worried about availability on Thai...there is a lot, no matter when I check.

As for night flight vs day flight...I'd take whatever I could get - no real preference.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bcworld
Personally I wouldn't be too worried about availability on Thai...there is a lot, no matter when I check.
Perhaps I am doing something wrong then because there doesn't seem to me to be a lot of availability BKK - LHR in March. Night flight seems to be only available on Wednesdays (and then only in first) and day flight most Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays, sometimes first, sometimes business, sometimes both. Nothing Thursday - Sunday at all in March. So the whole holiday is being worked backwards to fit in with the final leg!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.