Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

Old Dec 13th 2013, 10:33 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

Some breaking not so good news!

It appears that SQ has pulled business class availability on virtually all routes with the exception of short flights within Asia. Previously SQ availability was good ex BNE and PER and was also good on 2 daily flights ex MEL and SYD. Now, other than over the next few weeks there is zero, zilch, nada!

Worth noting...this is not a USDM issue...it is something affecting all *A partners.

There is a thread on Flyertalk started by the United Airlines company rep effectively stating that SQ has told them to remove visibility of SQ flights on their online booking engine. Allegedly these are still bookable over the phone but I have my doubts. The same is also true for ANA / KVS. I have been keeping an eye on some routes which in the last few days have gone from wide open...to nothing available in C...ever! This then cascades into awardtravelr etc. which uses ANA as a data source. So effectively there is no way to check availability.

LifeMiles is similarly affected, if not worse...because all the premium SQ product that LM somehow offered, when others didn't, is gone too. Phone booking with LifeMiles is not something anyone wants to contemplate!

So it seems SQ's superiority complex raises it's head yet again! This is purely an SQ issue so please no panic / speculation about other airlines! We still have TG!
Old Dec 15th 2013, 10:15 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Up to 100% bonus on buy miles til Dec 20th.

https://membership.usairways.com/en-...E=USBuyLanding
Old Dec 15th 2013, 10:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Looking to book at QF or One World economy from SYD to LON end of Feb with the hope that I can use points and upgrade wife and I to business.

Am I talking out my ass here or is this a possibility?

Random websites also show flights into Heathrow and out of Gatwick via DUB a lot cheaper than doing one or the other airport. Happy to mix it up but cannot select random London airports via QF website.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 11:02 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by Beoz
Looking to book at QF or One World economy from SYD to LON end of Feb with the hope that I can use points and upgrade wife and I to business.

Am I talking out my ass here or is this a possibility?

Random websites also show flights into Heathrow and out of Gatwick via DUB a lot cheaper than doing one or the other airport. Happy to mix it up but cannot select random London airports via QF website.
You mean book worth cash and use QFF points to upgrade?

What status do you have with Qantas?
Old Dec 15th 2013, 11:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
You mean book worth cash and use QFF points to upgrade?

What status do you have with Qantas?
Yes that's right. Status Silver.

I just gave them a call. So it seems I can only do it if I book a certain fare and those certain fares are currently $2600 and the cheapest fare on QF right now for that time is about $1600. So may not be worth it in the hope that they accept my upgrade request. Have a load of points so might just be better to use points to book the economy, though would like to upgrade somehow if there's any tips.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 11:39 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

Yes that's right. Status Silver.

I just gave them a call. So it seems I can only do it if I book a certain fare and those certain fares are currently $2600 and the cheapest fare on QF right now for that time is about $1600. So may not be worth it in the hope that they accept my upgrade request. Have a load of points so might just be better to use points to book the economy, though would like to upgrade somehow if there's any tips.
If the fare is as low as $1600 I'd probably save the points. Unlike USDM, Qantas will hit you up for a pure profit tax otherwise known as fuel surcharges on award tickets.

So you burn 128k points for the return flight to London and you still have to pay about $360 in genuine taxes and $500+ in QF fuel fines per person. So your 128k points is saving you about $740? Hardly worth it. Well not in my book anyway. I'd save the points for travelling another time at a more expensive time of year or for a nice trip in the pointy end somewhere else another time.

e.g. I recently used 130k QFF points for two one way flights in business on CX from HKG-MEL. Much more value there I'd say.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 12:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If the fare is as low as $1600 I'd probably save the points. Unlike USDM, Qantas will hit you up for a pure profit tax otherwise known as fuel surcharges on award tickets.

So you burn 128k points for the return flight to London and you still have to pay about $360 in genuine taxes and $500+ in QF fuel fines per person. So your 128k points is saving you about $740? Hardly worth it. Well not in my book anyway. I'd save the points for travelling another time at a more expensive time of year or for a nice trip in the pointy end somewhere else another time.

e.g. I recently used 130k QFF points for two one way flights in business on CX from HKG-MEL. Much more value there I'd say.
That's a good point. I was thinking about using them for Xmas 2014, but you've got to be quick off the mark to get the FF seats that time of year.

When you say booked 2 one way flights on business to HKG, was that 2 flights out there and back or did you go to HKG twice and buy a one way flight each time for one of the legs?
Old Dec 16th 2013, 1:29 am
Frequent Flyer Member

When you say booked 2 one way flights on business to HKG, was that 2 flights out there and back or did you go to HKG twice and buy a one way flight each time for one of the legs?
2 seats on one flight, one way. The same thing on QF would've been cheaper...120k, but I far prefer CX.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 8:30 am
Just Joined

gtewary is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just seen fares for Business Class from Heathrow or Birmingham to Sydney with Turkish Airlines for under £1000!
They fly via Istanbul and then on to either Bangkok or Incheon. THe flights routed via Incheon are around £1700 but those via BKK are less than £1000. Plus there baggage allowance is 40kgs and if your layover in Istanbul is more than 6 hours you are eligible for a free city tour including all entrance fees to museums etc!
I have seen a couple of dates in March and April where this is available
Sounds better than having to buy miles and swap them etc. Turkish was also in top 3 for business class I believe
Old Dec 16th 2013, 8:38 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by gtewary
I have just seen fares for Business Class from Heathrow or Birmingham to Sydney with Turkish Airlines for under £1000!
They fly via Istanbul and then on to either Bangkok or Incheon. THe flights routed via Incheon are around £1700 but those via BKK are less than £1000. Plus there baggage allowance is 40kgs and if your layover in Istanbul is more than 6 hours you are eligible for a free city tour including all entrance fees to museums etc!
I have seen a couple of dates in March and April where this is available
Sounds better than having to buy miles and swap them etc. Turkish was also in top 3 for business class I believe
Sounds like a mistake fare...Book it while you can!
Old Dec 16th 2013, 9:49 am
Just Joined

Sounds like a mistake fare...Book it while you can!
Unfortunately my dates are not fixed. What do you recommend?
Attached Thumbnails Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx 00 - 00 rtn!-turkish.bmp  
Old Dec 16th 2013, 10:01 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by gtewary
Unfortunately my dates are not fixed. What do you recommend?
Oh I see....it's one way, perhaps it's not a mistake fare...it's certainly a good fare.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 10:09 am
Just Joined

Oh I see....it's one way, perhaps it's not a mistake fare...it's certainly a good fare.
Sorry I should have clarified- I am going to come on 457 and hence the uncertainty about dates. For most airlines return and one way are not much different but this does seem very good especially the baggage allowance.
Any idea if taking a break at either airport will be allowed?
The terms of the ticket say 2 stopovers allowed but there is no way of doing this on the website other than getting a multistop quote and then the fare skyrockets!
Can this only be done via phone?
Old Dec 16th 2013, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

treefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nice

woot just booked for next June, was far easier process then I expected only took about 15 minutes on the phone I was prepared for an hours call after reading lots of reports here from people. Already have my booking email confirmation. Infact the most complex part was getting my calling card to phone the US!!

Flying Mel - LHR - Mel, with TG for the Aus to Asia route & Eva from Asia to London, all business
Old Dec 16th 2013, 8:58 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by treefingers
woot just booked for next June, was far easier process then I expected only took about 15 minutes on the phone I was prepared for an hours call after reading lots of reports here from people. Already have my booking email confirmation. Infact the most complex part was getting my calling card to phone the US!!

Flying Mel - LHR - Mel, with TG for the Aus to Asia route & Eva from Asia to London, all business
Nice!

I called yesterday and put on hold an easter trip to Krabi and Bangkok...all TG. Not the best use of 90k DMs but I do have gazillions of the things!

Agent was Kathy and it was all done and dusted in about 5 minutes...so easy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.