Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bushfires in and around Perth

Bushfires in and around Perth

Old Jan 21st 2005, 12:31 pm
Walla's bird

marie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Bushfires in and around Perth

Originally Posted by Siren
Creepy... although not THAT surprising really.

Mine had to do with a house fire and getting the kids out of thier bedrooms safely. Very scary when you can actually SMELL the smoke :scared:

Siren
I tell you even more scary when you actually have to do it for real!! Our street went up last Saturday - before the fires in the hills started. Some kids had set off two fires in the bush behind the houses opposite ours. We looked out of our front windows to see the trees behind the houses directly opposite ablaze and flames licking the roofs ( with thick back smoke) I tell you when people say you sxxx yourself with fear I now now what they mean!!!) Son was in bed (bless he's been on an early shift at his weekend job) I dragged him out of bed telling we had to get out of the house and still half asleep he insisted he could not get into car in just his boxers!! I was hysterical telling him just to grab his jeans (oh and I grabbed my carton of fags!! - well didn't know how long we would be out of house!!) By the time we got to the end of street fire engines arrived - they eventually got it under control but not before a house at the top of the street suffered severe damage to it's roof as the air con was on which drew in the fire!!! There were also fears for pylons not that far from the fire. The whole experience shook me completely.
While fires raged hubby (walla1)returned to house to ensure the house was hosed down in case the wind changed. The funniest thing was as I was panicking (parked up with kids and dog in street around the frantically asking my cousin to go and see where he was ) he appeared from around the corner - his white top just visible in the thick black smoke!!! You know that moment when your heart lurches and releif overcomes you!!! Just like the movies !!! aahh!!! We spoke to cheif fire officer when things calmed down and he said we were so lucky - if the wind had been blowing the other way our house would have been up in flames!! I am quite pragmatic about it and in hindsight just keep thinking that the main thing is no one was hurt - at the end of the day you can rebuild a house!! I really feel for those living in the midst of this in the hills - they must be going through hell!! It's now Friday, this started Sunday and I am sitting here still smelling smoke down here, can't imagine what it must be like in the worst affected areas. Oooo smell is getting stronger must go and check - as you can imagine I am now quite paranoid and similarly to you all am dreaming (actually having nightmares!!) about it all.
Anyway lets keep our fingers crossed it gets no worse over the weekend.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 12:42 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marie66
I really feel for those living in the midst of this in the hills - they must be going through hell!! It's now Friday, this started Sunday and I am sitting here still smelling smoke down here, can't imagine what it must be like in the worst affected areas. Oooo smell is getting stronger must go and check - as you can imagine I am now quite paranoid and similarly to you all am dreaming (actually having nightmares!!) about it all.
Anyway lets keep our fingers crossed it gets no worse over the weekend.
I can imagine you are paranoid and stuff! I can't imagine how it was though, well I can imagine terrifying, but luckily never been that close.

Read somewhere the fire in the hills got 2 km from Mundaring Weir... sounds a lot, but it was going at 30 Km/h!!!

Yeah, you're south aren't you, smokes still way worse down your way than up here. Even when I left work(5) it was still really bad, I guess there wasn't much of a breeze today!
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 12:23 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Two fires sort of near my work yesterday. One in Martin around midday, the other in Gosnells/Armadale just when I was driving home.
I think both are out, as haven't heard any more.

Today there was a big fire somewhere north, Woodbridge or something, not sure where that is.
Apparently a few or more houses evacuated.
Most probably arson.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Just been told that there is a big fire, out of control, up at Two Rocks. Hopeully it can be bought under control soon.