Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bush Fire Threat?

Bush Fire Threat?

Old Oct 26th 2004, 11:30 am
Just Joined

ZippyGeorgeBungle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bush Fire Threat?

My Girlfriend (hopefully not GIRLFRIED!)and I really want to move to the sunshine coast but she's getting cold feet? with the though of the bush fire threat...Seriously though, is this a real risk as we're looking to buy at some point next year. We would both really appreciate some info on this.
sorry for the bad jokes!
George
Old Oct 26th 2004, 1:35 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bush Fire Threat?

Originally Posted by ZippyGeorgeBungle
My Girlfriend (hopefully not GIRLFRIED!)and I really want to move to the sunshine coast but she's getting cold feet? with the though of the bush fire threat...Seriously though, is this a real risk as we're looking to buy at some point next year. We would both really appreciate some info on this.
sorry for the bad jokes!
George

www.fire.qld.gov.au and all the various links from it have lots of info.
There were also some threads on here a couple of weeks back -

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259297

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258953

are two of them. Do a search for "bush fire" and it brings up plenty more. Not something that should put you off coming, you just need to be aware of the risks and the precautions - most of which can be obtained through the fire website.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 8:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

sorry for the bad jokes!
George

Move to one of the many new housing estates that are almost everywhere in australia that dont have as much as a single tree, (well by bushfire standards I'm not talking about 1 metre high shrubs placed 1 per block on the footpath). Or a unit in a beach area, or city. Plenty of options everywhere.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 9:06 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

sorry for the bad jokes!
George

One of the many new houses in little suburbia should be ok!

Failing that, keep control over the shrubs & trees, get a big dam on your property and invest in big asbestod overclothes. (could be usefull for sun bathing as well!)

Seriously though there should be inffo available on what to doo to keep the isks down to a minimum.

Bye
and good luck.

Mark