Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bullying and general safety

Bullying and general safety

Old Aug 12th 2008, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

Emmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to all
Default Bullying and general safety

We are looking (again!) into moving to Sydney as a job has been offered to my husband.
I have always thought that Australia would be a great place for kids but having read a few threads on BritishExpats, as well as some online newspaper articles about bullying and high suicide rates amongst teens, I'm starting to wonder.... would our little ones be ok?
I know it's always a risk in any country and no-one can promise or guarantee that you won't have the bad luck to be bullied, or be in the wrong place at the wrong time, but I was curious to know how other parents and, well, others from big cities in the UK or Europe compare safety levels and feelings of "comfort" in schools etc in Sydney. We can't compare small towns in the UK to Sydney which is why I've said big cities!!
Any comments would be highly appreciated. The last thing I need is to be forking out for another pair of rose tinted specs....!
Old Aug 12th 2008, 9:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bullying and general safety

Originally Posted by Emmis
We are looking (again!) into moving to Sydney as a job has been offered to my husband.
I have always thought that Australia would be a great place for kids but having read a few threads on BritishExpats, as well as some online newspaper articles about bullying and high suicide rates amongst teens, I'm starting to wonder.... would our little ones be ok?
I know it's always a risk in any country and no-one can promise or guarantee that you won't have the bad luck to be bullied, or be in the wrong place at the wrong time, but I was curious to know how other parents and, well, others from big cities in the UK or Europe compare safety levels and feelings of "comfort" in schools etc in Sydney. We can't compare small towns in the UK to Sydney which is why I've said big cities!!
Any comments would be highly appreciated. The last thing I need is to be forking out for another pair of rose tinted specs....!

Kids are kids, some nasty - some nice, the country makes little difference.

Your kids will meet the same mixed bag of personality types as they would in any country.

Formally most schools have a policy on how bullying is dealt with. At first here I found it quite strict, now its more non blame, the victim and the bully all get spoken to the same way, all very PC However it is dealt with, but of course only if someone brings it to someone in authority attention, and of course thats the last thing most kids being bullied want to do

IMO eight years and 3 kids, OZ is no better or worse for aggro people or kids than anywhere else, but a lot less of what goes on is sensationalised in the media so it probably comes across as a bit more rosy.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 9:35 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I think comparing like for like i.e. inner city with inner city, or suburbs to suburbs, or rural to rural your kids would have the same chance of being bullied, being exposed to crime & drugs etc in either country. I read the other day that Australia has the highest per capita use of ecstacy in the world, and this is certainly my experience from being out on the town.

But if you generally fancy a change, and moving to Australia, then I think the opportunity to live in a different country and experience a different way of life is a great thing for kids, and later on they can make a decision about where they'd like to live - all good!
Old Aug 12th 2008, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Emmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bcworld
I think comparing like for like i.e. inner city with inner city, or suburbs to suburbs, or rural to rural your kids would have the same chance of being bullied, being exposed to crime & drugs etc in either country. I read the other day that Australia has the highest per capita use of ecstacy in the world, and this is certainly my experience from being out on the town.

But if you generally fancy a change, and moving to Australia, then I think the opportunity to live in a different country and experience a different way of life is a great thing for kids, and later on they can make a decision about where they'd like to live - all good!
Thank you so much for the replies.

I suppose the next question is school recommendations on the North Shore ... but I'll leave that to another thread!

Thanks again.
Emma
Old Aug 12th 2008, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

suzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to all

Hi i can completly see where you are coming from as i have had the same worries myself, my son who now still only 8 was bullied really quite badly buy older boys in school. We have changed areas and he is now in a zero tollerance school with regards to bullies, iam not saying you dont get the odd bit here a there they just deal with. We are moving to Brisbane as my husband has been offered a job there we have four weeks temp accomadation provided by the company and iam going to take these four weeks to see surrounding areas and schools that are family orientated, i think it dosent matter where you go kids will be kids and sometimes they can be very mean. Just take your time when you get there to pick the right school for you children, how old are they, mine are 8 and 3 in november.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 10:50 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

It is about finding the right school. Just like anywhere else.