Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bullying, and also houses NZ

Bullying, and also houses NZ

Old Aug 7th 2003, 4:13 am
Forum Regular

xpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nice
Default Re: Bullying, and also houses NZ

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sandypandy We moved to Auckland when our son was 10 - he's nearly 13 now and he's never come home saying he's been bullied 'cause he's a pom. I've just asked him about it and he said he's been asked about his accent because it's different to most of the others but most of them seem to think he's "cool" !
There are quite a few pole houses in West Auckland because they are built on the side of hills to make the most of the great views, although we live in a good old, regular brick and tile house, of which there are plenty !
Old Aug 7th 2003, 8:11 am
gOD
Forum Regular

gOD is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Gra.B
I'm no builder.....but can't concrete be levelled in NZ?
Yes it can, but if you live on a sloping piece of land and have a level piece of concrete, at least part of the concrete is below the level of the land, or higher than the level of the land. Therefore the bottom of the house, is either partly below the level of the land, or above the level of the land (or both!). If any part of above the level of the land, something must hold it up.

Since they rarely use bricks, it you are unlikely to see a house perched on a lump of concrete, something must be holding it up. If the frame is made of wood, what is the most likely candidate to do the job?
Old Aug 7th 2003, 10:50 am
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road

on the subject of rats!!We have had a real nightmare with the little bleeders....or big bleeders as the case is.Yes i know we're rural and have always lived in constant harmony with every little monster but the rats here have really taken the pi##.Never had a rat problem before like here in NZ.The house we currently live in is on piles and is of very poor construction even though its not that old.They have had a party under the house,eaten everything,got into the house ,eaten through the walls ,the roof,the kitchen draws!!!!The final insult..........we got about a dozen industrial traps that would probably break all your fingers if they caught you out (6inch jaws)We were sat watching the motor racing about 1 am and i heard the trap got off in the cupboard in the kitchen,then for 20 mins the rat(10 inch long not including tail)struggled with his head and body squashed in the trap.......i was going to put him out of his misery but i thought i'll deal with it when the racing had finished.Anyhow,it went quiet so i thought it had died.I go to the trap an hour later and the rat had got out and fled Next step was poison,which i am not a fan of at all but in the end we had no choice,its the only way other than sit there with the shot gun.I was so tempted to blow holes in the walls as we could hear them in the cavities at the end of our bed Its now a regular clear up of dead rats,but soon as they die more replace them no matter how clinically clean you make the place....they just eat the walls.We spoke to the local possum trappers and people in the area and they all said its just a normal,common problem round here....you should try the town as theyre worse there.Rant over ....not too bothered now as we're building a stone rat proof,housey not sat on piles
Old Aug 7th 2003, 12:35 pm
NZ In Jan (Please!)

sandypandy is an unknown quantity at this point

:scared: RATS:scared:

Do places like Christchurch and Auckland have problems with these little fellows, or is it mainly rural areas?

Sandra
Old Aug 7th 2003, 12:58 pm
gOD
Forum Regular

Originally posted by sandypandy
:scared: RATS:scared:

Do places like Christchurch and Auckland have problems with these little fellows, or is it mainly rural areas?

Sandra
They never bothered us in Auckland... My parents live out in the sticks so it would interesting to see if they have any problems.. Seems turkeys are more of a problem for them
Old Aug 7th 2003, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

xpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nice

Well.... The cat did bring a dead one into the front garden a couple of months ago ( W Auckland) so I guess they must be around - but they seem to keep themselves to themselves !
We have more problems with ants, soon as they die another billion crop up....... and they smell !
Old Aug 7th 2003, 7:35 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

No no problems with rats. We are by no means rural by Deedee's standards but we don't live in Christchurch. We are in a litle town just north. We have had a mouse in the garage, killed him and had no more since.
Old Aug 7th 2003, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by gOD
Yes it can, but if you live on a sloping piece of land and have a level piece of concrete, at least part of the concrete is below the level of the land, or higher than the level of the land. Therefore the bottom of the house, is either partly below the level of the land, or above the level of the land (or both!). If any part of above the level of the land, something must hold it up.
Yes, much clearer now.....

No, I see what you're saying, I was only picking on that particular post, as in 'land not perfectly straight'...but yes, on a steep slope wack it on stilts!

Gra..
Old Aug 7th 2003, 8:46 pm
gOD
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Gra.B
Yes, much clearer now.....

No, I see what you're saying, I was only picking on that particular post, as in 'land not perfectly straight'...but yes, on a steep slope wack it on stilts!

Gra..
You would be surprised at how little of a slope is needed. I am not saying it is a bad thing, it isn't, but I can't believe that someone else who claims to have lived in NZ for years has only seen it on the beach.

Maybe they just are not so common outside Auckland...
Old Aug 7th 2003, 9:13 pm
JWW
Forum Regular

JWW will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by gOD

Since they rarely use bricks, it you are unlikely to see a house perched on a lump of concrete, something must be holding it up. If the frame is made of wood, what is the most likely candidate to do the job?
What you actually find is that even on a reasonably steep hill the area is dug out and levelled, with a retaining wall placed behind the build area. The only houses I've seen on stilts in Ch'ch are hanging of a cliff face.
Old Aug 7th 2003, 9:50 pm
NZ In Jan (Please!)

sandypandy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by JWW
What you actually find is that even on a reasonably steep hill the area is dug out and levelled, with a retaining wall placed behind the build area. The only houses I've seen on stilts in Ch'ch are hanging of a cliff face.
Good to see you are still with us JWW - you have been quiet lately and i thought you had left us as Paula did, although she has popped in now and again.

Sandra
Old Aug 8th 2003, 4:57 am
JWW
Forum Regular

JWW will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by sandypandy
Good to see you are still with us JWW - you have been quiet lately and i thought you had left us as Paula did, although she has popped in now and again.

Sandra
No I'm still here...happy to help with any info.

By the way, I've never seen any rats over here, although our cat is putting on weight.
Old Aug 8th 2003, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

Sarah2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by gOD
You would be surprised at how little of a slope is needed. I am not saying it is a bad thing, it isn't, but I can't believe that someone else who claims to have lived in NZ for years has only seen it on the beach.

Maybe they just are not so common outside Auckland...

Nope, lived in the middle of suberbia Auckland all my life, my parents house, neighbours, friends etc etc were all built out of brick and tile with of course concrete base, however i never said anything about not having a concrete base just disagreeing with your point early on that ALL houses in NZ are built on poles cause that is a load of rubbish. I guess you haven't been to Auckland in a few years and seen the 30,000 or so houses in Howick built out of good old brick and tile. I think you will find that this is the case for most houses built post 1965 excluding state houses and maybe some out West but I didn't tend to go out there very often!
Old Aug 8th 2003, 11:56 am
gOD
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Sarah2004
Nope, lived in the middle of suberbia Auckland all my life, my parents house, neighbours, friends etc etc were all built out of brick and tile with of course concrete base, however i never said anything about not having a concrete base just disagreeing with your point early on that ALL houses in NZ are built on poles cause that is a load of rubbish. I guess you haven't been to Auckland in a few years and seen the 30,000 or so houses in Howick built out of good old brick and tile. I think you will find that this is the case for most houses built post 1965 excluding state houses and maybe some out West but I didn't tend to go out there very often!
Yeah, I went to school in Howick. The fields were I used to play, and roads where I used to ride, (and drive) are now full of traffic lights, roundabouts, and houses....

I agree, most new ones are brick, but there are still plenty of houses with wooden frames. I am pretty sure I didn't say that ALL houses in NZ are built on poles
Old Aug 8th 2003, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

Sarah2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by gOD
Yeah, I went to school in Howick. The fields were I used to play, and roads where I used to ride, (and drive) are now full of traffic lights, roundabouts, and houses....

I agree, most new ones are brick, but there are still plenty of houses with wooden frames. I am pretty sure I didn't say that ALL houses in NZ are built on poles

And where I used to keep my pony!

Out of interest gOD when did you leave NZ and have you visited many times in the last 5 years or so? Ten years ago I probably would have agreed with a lot of your opinons on NZ and couldn't wait to leave and do my OE, the first 4 years in London I never thought I would want to go back but I truly believe Auckland has come a long way in being an international city in the last 5 years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.