Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bullying, and also houses NZ

Bullying, and also houses NZ

Old Aug 6th 2003, 1:09 pm
NZ In Jan (Please!)

sandypandy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bullying, and also houses NZ

I have just read "Emigrate with Caution" by Nicola Butler, and in the chapter about education she said her son had been bullied at school for being a Pom. I have read in past posts that people have had problems with this in Australia, but I have not heard of any problems in NZ (although i am not naive enough to believe it doesn't happen)
I know there are people on the forum who have younger kids and have had no problems, but is there anyone out there that has older kids that have been through the new school process and survived?

She also moaned about the NZ houses that she rented. She complained about the damp because the houses had no heating (which we knew), but she said some were built on poles and rats used the space under the house.
Are NZ houses all like this or was she just unlucky? I have read that they are very different to UK houses i.e. no insulation and open plan with small rooms, but she did paint a very black picture.

Sandra
Old Aug 6th 2003, 1:42 pm
gOD
Forum Regular

gOD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bullying, and also houses NZ

Originally posted by sandypandy
I have just read "Emigrate with Caution" by Nicola Butler, and in the chapter about education she said her son had been bullied at school for being a Pom. I have read in past posts that people have had problems with this in Australia, but I have not heard of any problems in NZ (although i am not naive enough to believe it doesn't happen)
I know there are people on the forum who have younger kids and have had no problems, but is there anyone out there that has older kids that have been through the new school process and survived?

She also moaned about the NZ houses that she rented. She complained about the damp because the houses had no heating (which we knew), but she said some were built on poles and rats used the space under the house.
Are NZ houses all like this or was she just unlucky? I have read that they are very different to UK houses i.e. no insulation and open plan with small rooms, but she did paint a very black picture.

Sandra

Sniff, sniff, I was bullied, but survived. Bullying certainly does happen to "poms". Prepare your kids for variations of "why don't you go back to your own country", as well as hassles in general, not so much about being English, but just because you are. Doesn't happen to all, but I would be more surprised if it didn't. Or perhaps it was just my school. We (English) are generally very good throughout most of this country at accepting foreigners (ok, mainly white ones from an english speaking country!!), but it is a shame that it is not quite so reciprocal. I had more problems in NZ than Australia, but then I was younger in Australia.

Having said that, kids are always more likely to be bullied when they move, no matter where it is.

In hindsight, if really is difficult to say if I regret my parents moving over. Yes, it made my teenage years so much harder, yes my education suffered, but then it was character building, and the more I see of the rest of the world, the more I like the UK! Travelling is great for broading the mind no matter what the age.

Yes, almost all houses are built on poles. Remember that the mainly use wood over there so there is a wooden frame, often with a kind of board over it to protect it from the elements. Rats can get underneath this, or thought it. Some houses even have wooden slats instead with gaps, and perhaps a small door in the side (to push a lawn mower or dead-body through). So yes, rats may very well live under your house. Especially if you store rubbish underneath it, or the previous occupiers did. It is not easy for creepies and rodents to get inside though just because they are under your house. Just watch out for Avondale spiders
Old Aug 6th 2003, 2:07 pm
gOD
Forum Regular

Originally posted by gOD
Sniff, sniff, I was bullied, but survived. Bullying certainly does happen to "poms". Prepare your kids for variations of "why don't you go back to your own country", as well as hassles in general, not so much about being English, but just because you are. Doesn't happen to all, but I would be more surprised if it didn't. Or perhaps it was just my school. We (English) are generally very good throughout most of this country at accepting foreigners (ok, mainly white ones from an english speaking country!!), but it is a shame that it is not quite so reciprocal. I had more problems in NZ than Australia, but then I was younger in Australia.
Just going back to bullying, the best way to think about it, is to think about kids of my own. If I have teenagers, would I move to NZ (of course *I* wouldn't, but presuming bullying was the only reason here)?

Difficult to answer, but I would ask myself how well my kids are doing at school. If they are having problems where they are, either because of the school, friends, environment etc, then yes, I would consider going. You are not likely to lose much and in fact the change of environment might do a world of good.

If on the other hand my kids were doing fine, or even very well at school, in all honesty, I wouldn't go. It can be *very* traumatic as a teenager effectively having your world turned upside down and the risks are high. Even if you go to a school with the same or better standards of education, your are placing your children in an environment that will be very different for them, and generally adding to the challenges they will face growing up and trying to get an education that will give them good job prospects. They will have to deal with a new home, new friends (and lack of), new culture, moving half a year, either ahead or behind, different course material, perhaps different subjects? A lot to consider.

Just though I would give you my personal opinion.

Since you even asked the question, I am sure you will be able to think it through and do the right thing no matter what that might be.
Old Aug 6th 2003, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

Sarah2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sandypandy,

I lived in NZ for the first 22 years of my life and have NEVER been to a house that is built on poles with the exception of a few holiday homes by the beach. Houses in NZ are generally newer than houses in the UK therefore do have nice open plan living areas which compared to my house in London are an absolute dream, plumbing etc is also a lot newer and reliable.

And as for the central heating, it is true that very few houses have it however as Auckland and most of the North Island only have about 4 weeks a year max where you may actually need it most people just use bar heaters or similar, can't really comment on the South Island though.

Personal opinion I spose but I can't wait to go home and i wish you all the best.
Sarah
Old Aug 6th 2003, 3:46 pm
gOD
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Sarah2004
Sandypandy,

I lived in NZ for the first 22 years of my life and have NEVER been to a house that is built on poles with the exception of a few holiday homes by the beach. Houses in NZ are generally newer than houses in the UK therefore do have nice open plan living areas which compared to my house in London are an absolute dream, plumbing etc is also a lot newer and reliable.

Sarah
They are.

Typically, you will have concrete foundations. On top of the concrete foundations, you will have the wooden frame. It is far from unusual for houses to be raised off the concrete frame (especially if the concrete is on a slope) so that the bottom of the house is higher than the concrete. Then obviously, you have to have something between the concrete and the bottom of the house (enter the wood). You often cannot see this before of boards, or wooden pieces going around the bottom, so while they are not on "poles" like might be in PNG, they are poles in one definition of the word.

Or perhaps it was just my, my neighbours, school, and all my friends who had a house/building like that, and no one else in NZ
Old Aug 6th 2003, 3:55 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in 2 houses built on wooden piles, and they were both of a certain age.

There were never any problems with any vermin underneath. I think it would only be a problem if someone left rubbish or junk there, but why would anyone do that. The rubbish would stink, and the junk would ruin as it would be contact with the damp ground.

New houses in NZ are all built on a concrete platform or similar, unless built on a significant slope in which case piles may be used. Has anybody noticed that one perched on the cliff above the main motorway into Wellington (about a mile oout of town)? Would be a bloody brave rat to live on that terrain (and absolutely mad people in my view).

Don't let the above put you off older houses in NZ, there are some great traditional homes around the place and they are in my view much more characterful than modern architecture. Still, the ones I am looking at are not on wooden piles.
Old Aug 6th 2003, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

Sarah2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep, not saying there arn't any there just that I have never been to one except beach houses on slopes so there can't be too many!

I did also hear a British friend of mine say that houses in NZ are built out of corrugated iron, guess everyone sees different things!
Old Aug 6th 2003, 4:34 pm
NZ In Jan (Please!)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gOD

If on the other hand my kids were doing fine, or even very well at school, in all honesty, I wouldn't go. It can be *very* traumatic as a teenager effectively having your world turned upside down and the risks are high. Even if you go to a school with the same or better standards of education, your are placing your children in an environment that will be very different for them, and generally adding to the challenges they will face growing up and trying to get an education that will give them good job prospects. They will have to deal with a new home, new friends (and lack of), new culture, moving half a year, either ahead or behind, different course material, perhaps different subjects? A lot to consider.

Thanks gOD for your opinion. The sad thing (well, good for her if we stay here) is that she is doing extremely well - top 30 in her year of 200 ish pupils and I am very concerned that she could end up going backwards if we do go to NZ. However as you pointed out, travel is an education in itself, and she doesn't have a problem making friends, but that is in the Uk where she feels secure. She is very keen to go, but i just want what is best for her!!
But there is one thing for sure - whatever we end up doing we still have years of the teenager from Hell who "just wants us all to go away and leave her alone!!":scared:

Sandra
Old Aug 6th 2003, 6:50 pm
gOD
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Sarah2004
Yep, not saying there arn't any there just that I have never been to one except beach houses on slopes so there can't be too many!

I did also hear a British friend of mine say that houses in NZ are built out of corrugated iron, guess everyone sees different things!

Sarah. I don't think you understand.

1) Do most houses in NZ have concrete foundations?
2) Do most houes in NZ have wooden frames?

Right, if you answer yes to those two, perhaps you can explain how houses with concrete foundations and wooden frames can be built on ground that is not perfectly straight without either:

1) Pieces of wood to level the floor of the house
or
2) incredibly slanted floors that follow the slope of the ground.

If you think that a house in NZ does not have wood to keep it level, how does it stay level?

I am not being nasty, but just wonder if you have even seen the spaces at the bottom of a lot of houses where people often put the lawnmower and things? Or perhaps it is just more of an Auckland thing and you didn't live in Auckland?
Old Aug 6th 2003, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by gOD
Sarah. I don't think you understand.

1) Do most houses in NZ have concrete foundations?
2) Do most houes in NZ have wooden frames?

Right, if you answer yes to those two, perhaps you can explain how houses with concrete foundations and wooden frames can be built on ground that is not perfectly straight without either:

1) Pieces of wood to level the floor of the house
or
2) incredibly slanted floors that follow the slope of the ground.

If you think that a house in NZ does not have wood to keep it level, how does it stay level?
I'm no builder.....but can't concrete be levelled in NZ?
Old Aug 6th 2003, 7:49 pm
NZ In Jan (Please!)

What are the houses like to live in? Can you hear every sound from the farthest corners of the house, do they shudder if a plane goes over etc. We moan about the new houses over here and their lack of sound proofing, but I guess we are spoiled with our brick walls and cavity wall insulation.

Sandra
Old Aug 6th 2003, 7:55 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

I live in Canterbury and live in a brand new house which we watched being built. On our estate i have watched about 20 houses go up. None of them are on poles! They put down a concrete pad 1st which is levelled. I have seen some built on a slight slope and the foundations are very thick at one end and regulation depth the other and steps built. They then put up a wooden frame which is anchored to the pad, and then they brick skin round it. Thick insulation batts are put in the wooden frame and it is gibb boarded on the inside. Our house is huge and has been chilly due to having a gas fire in which only chucks out 3.5kw. This is being replaced by a burner that has a max of 20kw. We will install a heat exchange system which is a tube in the roof space with a pump to take exess heat down the other end of the house. We have no problems with damp at all and have double glazing (not as good as UK double glazing but it does the job).
Old weatherboard houses can and some are built on poles. However at the mo there is a huge building boom in NZ and they are becoming the minority. These houses have little or no insulation have single glazing and can be damp. Unless you are the sort of person that likes to own a character house or have loads of dosh and can buy one at the upper end of the market which will have been insulated and well maintained you are more likley to buy a brick house. Old small weatherboard houses sell cheaply in comparrison to other houses here (except in the posh part of town) hence people buy them for investment and rent them outwhich is why rental houses can be a bit of a let down.
You will see a lot of houses built on poles in hilly areas where it is the only way thats if they can't utilise the slope and use it to put the garage underneath. Have to say the hilly areas with the views round here tend to be prime realestate areas and the quality/price of housing is quite high.
Old Aug 6th 2003, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Watt Dabney
I live in Canterbury and live in a brand new house which we watched being built. On our estate i have watched about 20 houses go up. None of them are on poles! They put down a concrete pad 1st which is levelled. I have seen some built on a slight slope and the foundations are very thick at one end and regulation depth the other and steps built. They then put up a wooden frame which is anchored to the pad, and then they brick skin round it.......
...thank gOD for that!

I wondered why the Kiwis couldn't level concrete..

Gra..
Old Aug 6th 2003, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

I'm planning to build a solid Masonry House with double glazing. Cool in Summer (unlike sitting here sweating tonight) and warm in the Winter. May also invest in heated floors in specific rooms.

However don't forget that the scandinavians build the most efficient houses - timber frames.

Can't quite understand why Kiwis haven't gone in for central heating - it's not that much warmer. Not worth my Scottish wife bleating on about how cold it is - though maybe only for a few weeks a year.

Roger

Wellington bound in September

www. mooreliving.co.nz
www.russellgroup.co.nz
Old Aug 6th 2003, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

I agree with the other posters wodden houses on Piles are pretty common, especially in Auckland. On reason is the terrain, Auckand region contains something like 50 extinct volcanoes and so the terrain is prety hilly and so putting building on piles solves the problem of building on the side of the many hills.

I lived in a 60's fibro house on piles and for 7 years whilst in Auckand and when I fist saw them I thought no way, but after renting one for 6 months I found they were fine for the climate, and so had no hesitation in buying one. Must admit no way would I have lived in this house in UK as I would have frozen, but the Auckland climate is so much milder it wasn't a problem.

Mine was origionally built on piles with the underneath open, but one of the previous owners had enclosed it giving 2 extra rooms and a garage/ workshop and I never had problems with vermin.

You've got to remember NZ is in an earthquake zone and they get 1,000's of earthquakes a year (most minor) and wodden houses withstand this better than brick one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.