Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Building your own home

Building your own home

Old Apr 17th 2003, 1:35 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by Chris
hi, we're building in Brisbane at the mo but had a really hard time with the banks to lend us the money as we havn't been in Aus a year as yet.Previous morgage of twelve years in the UK meant nothing as 'we hadn't got any credit history in Aus'! To convince them they would like 20% deposit thankyou very much.And that was with all the banks.We also brought a sizeable deposit from the sale of our UK house. Beware.I hope that its differant in Perth- but i doubt it!!!!.good luck with your plans,but it may take a little longer than you plan.
Chris & kate. :scared: :scared:

I

an idea for people who are having the same trouble as you had - my mate built his house last year - no savings, he used his first home owners grant as the deposit - if you've got PR, it's worth looking into this - using the grant as your deposit - some loan companies will let you do this. I know a few house building companies advertise - No deposit etc etc , and they will arrange a loan for you. Not quite sure how it works myself, but I think Tammerwood homes is one of the companies that advertises this. This bloke by the way although an Australian - he had debts up to his eyeballs - car loans etc and no previous house, they still lent him the money - Westpac bank loan I think he has.

PB - our windows we're having are Tinted black, we paid extra for the tint - which wasn't that much actually, without digging my contract out - I think it was around $600 to have black tinted windows (glass is actually tinted - not a foil) rather than the clear glass, we actually ordered them this way more for the "look" of them.
We spent over a year on getting the plans just right - the money we are forking out now are for extras which we knew we would spend - things like extra power points (can never have enough of them) and ceiling fans etc, and extra TV points - all extra's . The basic house was cheap, but we changed so much of it and added things like Spa baths - dwarf walls - again without digging my contract out I think we spent 40 grand on top of the basic listed price - plus what we are paying now for extra wiring and things.

It's taken us ages to get this far, because we wanted it "just right" - fussy b*ggers. The bloke who I mentioned did his house very quickly - signed contracts, didn't change much of the plans - his house took about 6 months from the actual date of signing up with a house company.

cheers

P.S - watch these banks here - this bloke has borrowed more money from the bank - well what" they"do" is tell you your house is now worth this much (because of the boom) - for example, say the bank tell's you your house has now gone up by 50 grand - they offer you more loans - this bloke has taken more money out on his mortgage to buy a car etc - I personally think he's getting himself into debt - he'd be in trouble if he lost his job.

Last edited by Ceri; Apr 17th 2003 at 1:54 am.
Old Apr 17th 2003, 2:13 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ceri
I

an idea for people who are having the same trouble as you had - my mate built his house last year - no savings, he used his first home owners grant as the deposit - if you've got PR, it's worth looking into this - using the grant as your deposit - some loan companies will let you do this. I know a few house building companies advertise - No deposit etc etc , and they will arrange a loan for you. Not quite sure how it works myself, but I think Tammerwood homes is one of the companies that advertises this. This bloke by the way although an Australian - he had debts up to his eyeballs - car loans etc and no previous house, they still lent him the money - Westpac bank loan I think he has.

PB - our windows we're having are Tinted black, we paid extra for the tint - which wasn't that much actually, without digging my contract out - I think it was around $600 to have black tinted windows (glass is actually tinted - not a foil) rather than the clear glass, we actually ordered them this way more for the "look" of them.
We spent over a year on getting the plans just right - the money we are forking out now are for extras which we knew we would spend - things like extra power points (can never have enough of them) and ceiling fans etc, and extra TV points - all extra's . The basic house was cheap, but we changed so much of it and added things like Spa baths - dwarf walls - again without digging my contract out I think we spent 40 grand on top of the basic listed price - plus what we are paying now for extra wiring and things.

It's taken us ages to get this far, because we wanted it "just right" - fussy b*ggers. The bloke who I mentioned did his house very quickly - signed contracts, didn't change much of the plans - his house took about 6 months from the actual date of signing up with a house company.

cheers

P.S - watch these banks here - this bloke has borrowed more money from the bank - well what" they"do" is tell you your house is now worth this much (because of the boom) - for example, say the bank tell's you your house has now gone up by 50 grand - they offer you more loans - this bloke has taken more money out on his mortgage to buy a car etc - I personally think he's getting himself into debt - he'd be in trouble if he lost his job.

We had a sight tint in the windows but not good enough so out came the check book again .
Good point about the banks here we were told that on our earnings we could have a $500k mortgage , to get this figure all I was asked was what limits do you on your credit cards and what loans do I have .
The living costs factored in required us to beg for food on the streets and never use any power or gas ,and bugger our luck if interest rates rise above 1% .
The nice man at the bank also told me to borrow another few $100K to buy an investment home , just in case I had the price of a pint left .

Old Apr 19th 2003, 4:07 am
BE Enthusiast

april is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Building your own home

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Did build in Perth and got ripped off but thats the way it is ,there are loads of builders and its very easy to do .
Watch the cost of earthworks most will not include this and can work out pricy try and do it yourself , all extras builders make a third mark up.
Do not get carried away at prestart just ask for what they can do cheaper like changing lay out , everything else do yourself.
You will have to hassle the builder every week to get anything moving and get used to being lied to.

Land now thats the down side land has sky rocketed in Perth forget beachside unless you have $200k plus for a good block 20km plus away from the City , watch Brighton Beach Estate one its a suburb back from the beach , two its got Homeswest houses mixed in .

Sea or river views will double the price of most blocks but they make the money on resale , so location counts.

The rule of thumb is buy a block for $150k you need to spend at lest $200k on the house to make it a good investment.

Try this site for land

http://www2.reiwa.com/content-home.cfm

Builders

http://www.mbawa.com/find_builder.cfm?mode=search

If want a good one try these boys top firm not to expensive

http://www.wbn-homes.com.au/

I think the first thing I would put in a new house in Australia would be Air-conditioning, this befor I bought even a toaster...................

My hubby just said put insulation in all walls and ceilings. makes a huge difference
Old Apr 19th 2003, 12:27 pm

bored_bean is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by april
I think the first thing I would put in a new house in Australia would be Air-conditioning, this befor I bought even a toaster...................

My hubby just said put insulation in all walls and ceilings. makes a huge difference
Get some ceiling fans and adapt to the weather (it does happen eventually). If you have a cool climate in your car/house/office it comes as a huge shock to the system when you go outside. That was the worst thing about Singapore, so much air-con you can't acclimatise or you need a wool sweater to go into any building!
Old Apr 28th 2003, 1:26 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by april

Spot on well worth it also get ducted heating its gets very cold at night and not many places have any heating that will heat all of the house.
Insulation here is only put in roofs in double brick houses and its pricy , plus no double glazing which would improve most homes