Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Building on a rural block

Building on a rural block

Old Dec 12th 2004, 7:32 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Building on a rural block

Originally Posted by G'Day
There are houses in oz that are totally solar powered. By building your house properly, using proper insulation, natural protection etc. you can make your home almost 100% eco friendly. This is the option I'm looking at, even though my other half thinks I'm a bit weird and has promised me he'd NEVER live in a straw bale house, let alone build one with me.

Have a look at these sites for more info.

http://www.ecologicalhomes.com.au/econewsOct02.htm

http://www.earthgarden.com.au/links.html
Well said!

A lot of folks underestimate the efficiency of solar power. You don't even need direct sun for it to work. You can save huge amounts of energy with certain energy conservation measures without any loss to your quality of life. It is a nonsense that you would have to live in discomfort.

Btw, I like the idea of a straw bale house too. Or one built using old tyres. There's a lot of these recycled materials houses in Aus. I'd like to check a few of them out whilst I'm there and glean some ideas .
Old Dec 12th 2004, 10:02 pm
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

Originally Posted by tonyk38
Btw, I like the idea of a straw bale house too.
We'll almost certainly be using straw bail to build our house. Straw bail, double glazing, plus passive heating/cooling designs will make for a house that needs minimal heating/cooling. It's still nice to have aircon though, it's possible to get weeks of 35c+ and days of 40c+ and no house will keep that out passively forever.
Old Dec 12th 2004, 10:47 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by welshpom
We'll almost certainly be using straw bail to build our house. Straw bail, double glazing, plus passive heating/cooling designs will make for a house that needs minimal heating/cooling. It's still nice to have aircon though, it's possible to get weeks of 35c+ and days of 40c+ and no house will keep that out passively forever.
Hiya welshpom,
the good thing about solar power is that when it's hot & you need A/C then the power would be available! You should only need batteries for storage / use at night.
The cash back insentive would also make a difference, especially considering the costs of installing mains onto a property quoted here big$$$$.

The idea of a straw bale house is also a good one, with high theramal insulation value it should makle it a nice place to live in. I don't like the idea of mud / lime walls, prefer to finish them in hard wood on the outside and use plaster board on the inside.

Bye
Mark
Old Dec 13th 2004, 12:52 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

7 pm - still 40C - time to turn on the water in the Coolgardie sleepout - quick shower, catch the news on the short-wave then off to bed. Must get up early to fix the 10 mile windmill tomorrow.
Old Dec 13th 2004, 5:00 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Quinkana
7 pm - still 40C - time to turn on the water in the Coolgardie sleepout - quick shower, catch the news on the short-wave then off to bed. Must get up early to fix the 10 mile windmill tomorrow.
Ah, 40C at 7pm, a tad on the warm side then!
Quick turn on the A/C, have a shower and enjoy the cool house.

Failing that, wait untill the sun goes down, and enjoy the relative coolness. (Still goingto be hot, but after all day at 40 it will feell cooler.)

Bye
Mark
Old Dec 13th 2004, 7:04 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by welshpom
Have you done a REAL cost efficiency study of double glazing? (Assuming you mean sealed units?)

On the southern aspect of a house in the UK (not the world's sunniest place <g>) sealed units are reckoned by the industry to last about 15 - perhaps 20 if you're lucky - years.

There is no way that the cost of re-installation will be covered by the energy saving, whether it be for heating or cooling, IMO. I am willing to be proved wrong by someone who has the actual data available, but, having spent thousands of pounds re-doing windows before leaving the UK, I am sensitve on the subject!
Old Dec 15th 2004, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Figures I've seen show it would cost $20-25,000 to be self sufficient for power requirements (excluding hot water and any heavy energy consuming devices a/c). But to install a solar hot water system it only cost about $2-2500 and these are common in Queensland. Also the solar hot water system saves about half your power requirements at only 10% the cost.

Also the gov gives a 33% grant for these installation (both solar power and solar water).

The BIG dissadvantge of Solar power IMHO is the need for batteries to store the energy.

For example take a humble car battery which has a typical rating of 100Ah and is pretty cheap. This means it will run a 1volt 1 amp bulb for 100 hours but put this in a house situation and your typical 60W bulb requires .25Amps at 240 V which assuming no losses the same battery will power a 60W bulb for 1.66 hours. (assuming my maths is correct).

I know you can get energy efficient bulbs which helps but just consider the battery power you would require to power even a small house overnight.

Also what happens if the following day is overcast you will need to have battery power to last that day as well as the next night.

Solar power is just for the "Good Life" fanatic not for the average consumer. So untill they can make it realistic for the surburban semi forget it.
Old Dec 15th 2004, 9:49 am
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about

how about a composting toilet? No need to to waste precious water flushing into a septic tank. Reuse the 'grey water' from you taps/bathroom/washing machine in the garden to water the plants.

Also other forms of power available other than solar - look at the mini hydro systems (only suit a few places in Oz sadly) and also wind generators - again need to be in the right geographical location.

Hubby and I want to build a rammed earth place when we find the right block of land - we want around 200 acres or so... but we don't have fancy ideas about things... we are realists.
Old Dec 15th 2004, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwipaul
Figures I've seen show it would cost $20-25,000 to be self sufficient for power requirements (excluding hot water and any heavy energy consuming devices a/c). But to install a solar hot water system it only cost about $2-2500 and these are common in Queensland. Also the solar hot water system saves about half your power requirements at only 10% the cost.

Also the gov gives a 33% grant for these installation (both solar power and solar water).

The BIG dissadvantge of Solar power IMHO is the need for batteries to store the energy.

For example take a humble car battery which has a typical rating of 100Ah and is pretty cheap. This means it will run a 1volt 1 amp bulb for 100 hours but put this in a house situation and your typical 60W bulb requires .25Amps at 240 V which assuming no losses the same battery will power a 60W bulb for 1.66 hours. (assuming my maths is correct).

I know you can get energy efficient bulbs which helps but just consider the battery power you would require to power even a small house overnight.

Also what happens if the following day is overcast you will need to have battery power to last that day as well as the next night.

Solar power is just for the "Good Life" fanatic not for the average consumer. So untill they can make it realistic for the surburban semi forget it.
I believe that you can feed your excess power back into the grid and therefore earn credits. (Your electricity meter actually goes backwards). So no need for batteries for storage. In effect the grid is your storage. Ideal for surburban situations, I'd have thought.
Old Dec 15th 2004, 11:04 am
Banned

... 'cost about $20,000 for a 1 kilowatt system' ... 'would supply two-thirds of the power needed for a "very energy-efficient home"' ...

Cost dulls appeal of solar panels - experts

1 kW * 8 hours / day * 365 days / year = 2920 kWh / year

@ $0.10 / kWh = $292.00 / year

$292 / $20,000 = 1.46% return per year.

Take it from me, if you will, you will not like battery storage systems - I have lived with them. The batteries stuff up in a couple of years.

You would be better off all round using a petrol or diesel powered on-demand generator.
Old Dec 16th 2004, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by nickyc
I believe that you can feed your excess power back into the grid and therefore earn credits. (Your electricity meter actually goes backwards). So no need for batteries for storage. In effect the grid is your storage. Ideal for surburban situations, I'd have thought.
Yes I agree and this seems to be the most common system, but the origional poster was complaining about the cost of connecting to the grid on a lifestyle block and he'd be as well off installing a solar system instead.

If you were connected to the grid you'd be better off installing insulation, energy efficient appliances and solar hot water IMHO.
Old Dec 16th 2004, 12:44 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

>>For example take a humble car battery which has a typical rating of 100Ah and is pretty cheap. This means it will run a 1volt 1 amp bulb for 100 hours but put this in a house situation and your typical 60W bulb requires .25Amps at 240 V which assuming no losses the same battery will power a 60W bulb for 1.66 hours. (assuming my maths is correct).
<<

More like 400 hrs, no?

In any case, I think the argument is really about whether you have a grid connection anyway. If you don't, the only way IS via self-generation. But if you do have the grid, taking all costs into account, the most efficient way of getting electricity is via it.
Old Dec 16th 2004, 1:14 am
Banned

12 Volt * 1 Ampere = 12 Watts. 100 Ampere hours / 1 Ampere = 100 hours.

60 Watts / 12 Volts = 5 Amperes. 100 Ampere hours / 5 Amperes = ~20 hours.

Assumes no losses.
Old Dec 16th 2004, 1:26 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

(Retreats to back of class)

Probably the antibiotics......
Old Dec 16th 2004, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Quinkana
12 Volt * 1 Ampere = 12 Watts. 100 Ampere hours / 1 Ampere = 100 hours.

60 Watts / 12 Volts = 5 Amperes. 100 Ampere hours / 5 Amperes = ~20 hours.

Assumes no losses.
So a 100Ampere hour battery will run a 1 amp light for 100 hours.

I thought a 1 Ampere hour was 1 amp at 1 volt for 1 hour.

Not 1 amp at 12 volts for 1 hour but I could be wrong.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.