Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Building a dream

Building a dream

Old Jun 29th 2003, 9:38 am
over the cuckoo's nest

Slater will become famous soon enoughSlater will become famous soon enough
Default Building a dream

There are many reasons for us to emigrate to Oz, but I guess the main reason would be the need to slow down and move into a less stressful lifestyle. If you are in the latter stage of your application like us, you will know what stress is. We were asked for the $100,000 bond last week, while waiting to get the money cleared we saw the A$ strengthen, A$2.52 to A$2.47 that cost us £800 just on the bond money.
My dream, and it would be a dream here in england, is to build an energy efficient home on acreage, making the most of solar heating and renewable energy sources. I would be gratefull if anyone has any information or experience of building in Queensland, ie. building regulations, styles, whether I need to have a Building Certificate to build, or employ a builder who has, or where I can get information on building using energy efficient systems?

Thanks

Slater

Old Jun 29th 2003, 9:52 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Building a dream

Originally posted by Slater
There are many reasons for us to emigrate to Oz, but I guess the main reason would be the need to slow down and move into a less stressful lifestyle. If you are in the latter stage of your application like us, you will know what stress is. We were asked for the $100,000 bond last week, while waiting to get the money cleared we saw the A$ strengthen, A$2.52 to A$2.47 that cost us £800 just on the bond money.
My dream, and it would be a dream here in england, is to build an energy efficient home on acreage, making the most of solar heating and renewable energy sources. I would be gratefull if anyone has any information or experience of building in Queensland, ie. building regulations, styles, whether I need to have a Building Certificate to build, or employ a builder who has, or where I can get information on building using energy efficient systems?

Thanks

Slater
Owner Builder Permit

Building Services Authority-QLD

Your Home
Old Jun 29th 2003, 12:29 pm
over the cuckoo's nest

Slater will become famous soon enoughSlater will become famous soon enough

Thank you for the great info, have you built?

Slater
Old Jun 29th 2003, 11:07 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the great info, have you built?

Slater
You're welcome.

I have not built although my sisters have owner-built 5 homes. I have however invested in several small acreage lots and sold them on with house plans designed for the land and with the owner builder in mind.

There is now however (in the South East of Queensland) a complete shortage of well-priced small acreage, and I have not been able to buy reasonably priced land for the last 12 months.

Good luck with the build.
Old Jun 30th 2003, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

sashimi is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Building a dream

There seems to be quite a few groups of people in and around Melbourne who're into sustainable living, can't think of any urls right now, if I find them I'll send them. Otherwise doing a search on sustainable living - australia - melbourne might find you some helpful sights.

cheers sashimi