Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Building a 10 day plan for a new life in Oz

Building a 10 day plan for a new life in Oz

Old Jun 30th 2009, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

patdbuck will become famous soon enoughpatdbuck will become famous soon enough
Default Building a 10 day plan for a new life in Oz

First of all I must say sorry, as it seems to be the case with all my posts, I am looking for help and not offering much back, however I do promise to share my experiences as my experience grows.

Building a 10 day plan before we travel, whilst we travel and when we land

We are looking for any top tips, tricks, must do's and must not do's and what we should expect in the first few days of starting our new life in Oz.

We have so many questions, you would not believe and this site is brilliant for answering most of them but we still keep having questions such as;

i.e.
Q: What happens the moment we arrive in Oz are we dragged off to a small room to validate our visa or does it all happen via the magic of computers, do we fill forms in on the plane?

Q: Should we register with anybody on arrival?

Q: Do we a mobile phone and are we better with PAYG or contract?

We are feeling very lucky as we hae our VISA and will have family to give us some guidance when we arrive, yet the questions just keep popping into our head.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 3:24 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Building a 10 day plan for a new life in Oz

When you arrive you will go through customs as normal and your visa will be stamped. It is all very easy.

With regards to a mobile phone, check out the current vodaphone PAYG deal which allows you to call from abroad for the same price as a local call. If the offer applies to calls from Australia one of their free sim cards in your current phone might be a good idea for calling friends and family when you first get there (although you will have to get one before you leave).
Old Jun 30th 2009, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

Paula31 is a jewel in the roughPaula31 is a jewel in the roughPaula31 is a jewel in the roughPaula31 is a jewel in the rough

Hi

I got this from Tesco's Escape to Australia and New Zealand 2008

On Arrival
  • Pick up a copy of On Arrival Magazine - it contains a lot of good ideas and information.
  • Collect your hire car and check into your temporary accommodation.
  • Make contact with your resettlement agency or any other people who will be of help to you.
  • Set up a pay-as-you-go mobile to start you off- you can buy a cheap sim card and use it in your UK phone.
One Week Later
  • Get a tax file number (TFN) in Australia.
  • Contact your new employer.
  • Get car insurance for your new motor.
  • Register at a local school and arrange to meet your children's new teacher.

Hope this answers some questions and I wish you all the best, sadly it will be a good few years before we will get there, but it's never to early to start researching.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

Have a look at the top tips sticky above. I got loads and loads of help from that. I've printed them off and ticked off things as I go.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

Iando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant future

My top 2

Get a cheap sat nav - worth its weight in gold
Get a state driving licence - they are used for proving id everywhere
Old Jun 30th 2009, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Cars pass on both sides here so keep an eye out when driving as its like dodgems.

Make sure you give way to pedestrians here.

Watch the school zones if you exceed the speed limit you get fined and they are always waiting to fine us here.

Read all the signs on public transport as the fines are heavy.

Do not be surprised when no one lets you in when driving very rude here.

Its not that bad but its different completely different. Good luck.

Old Jun 30th 2009, 10:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

And get your UK phone unlocked before you leave - much easier than trying to do it here.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

RussellCat will become famous soon enough

Yep - get phone ulocked before you go - that's a good one. Also you may only be eligable for a PAYG phone - we've been refused credit a few places without having jobs first - all good now with payslips etc. Payg vodafone I find good - especially if I call abroad to tell friends and family to turn Skype on!
Also we have found 3mobile broadband to be excellent - Good until you get set up in your own place and want to research stuff on your lap top.

Sat Nav's are very much worth it - best thing we have bought in Australia - we might have been divorced by now without one!!
Also get rid of British Driving skills - they are bloody awful drivers here!

We thought there might be a bit more fuss at the airport, but nothing at all - it was the easiest time going through an Aussie airport - just make sure you declare all food - even throat sweets! (i got a small telling off about that one!)

Get your bank account opened - much easier in first couple of months.

Relax and take it easy - you don't have to do everything at once! See some stuff - do the touristy things, we've done very little touristy stuff since we've had jobs or been on the job hunt.

Most of all good luck for your new life down under - it's not all easy, but life wouldn't be interesting without some ups and downs.
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 6:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice

Been here just over 10 days, so my plan went fairly smoothly:

Day 1: bank account validated, headed notepaper with your new address printed by bank. Optus PAYG sim card bought (costs 20 bucks, gives 80 bucks value), UBD map bought and studied, Medicare registered.

Day 2: TFN number applied for via internet (takes 2 weeks min to come through, so do it early), PAYG internet bought - Top Tip: get a mobile phone and UK broadband dongle unlocked before you come over!!

Days 3 and 4: weekend, so chill!! Walk a little, get some wine and restorative sun on yer face....look for cars, long term rentals. Sort a rental car.

Day 5: Job interviews: prep, attendance, job offered 4.50 pm, accepted 4.50pm plus 1 nanosecond.....buy a bottle of sparkly...

Day 6: Get a hire car, start hammering the estate agents and realestate.com.au for a rental - you can do that from day 1, really...

Day 7: as per day 6 plus looking for cars.

Day 8: buy a car

Day 9: find a rental property and make lots of viewings for wife.

Day 10: rest of family arrives........to be presented with new car - right now, day written off as they are all asleep......but wife's TFN applied for as she sleeps. Next stop Medicare, bank and tourist stuff.......I start work in 10 days.

That's just a potted history, you need to know a Justice of the Peace or have access to one to apply for various things/get documents and IDs validated (start at the local police station), travelled about 600kms around Adelaide getting to know the city, scouting areas, buying cars etc plus setting up a mailbox (easiest way if you know you are going to move about a little plus getting mail from the UK) via Auspost, you should set up your bank before you arrive, scout for jobs etc. Always worth asking people you meet about local jobs, depending on your trade or profession (I got a really valuable contact via a Dive shop...).

I stayed for first 2 days in a hotel in the city - much easier than farting about with hire cars, rental properties with serious jet lag.....taxi, hotel, chill.....plus all amenities within 10 minutes walk......

PS ditch any propensity for road rage you might have and treat the roads like the locals - it's Hoon Death Race 2000 out there......favourite weapons SS utes, white vans and 40 ton trucks.......drive to survive!!
Twins

Last edited by Twinset; Jul 2nd 2009 at 6:22 am.
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Twinset

Day 1: bank account validated, headed notepaper with your new address printed by bank. Optus PAYG sim card bought (costs 20 bucks, gives 80 bucks value), UBD map bought and studied, Medicare registered.

Day 2: TFN number applied for via internet (takes 2 weeks min to come through, so do it early), PAYG internet bought - Top Tip: get a mobile phone and UK broadband dongle unlocked before you come over!!

Days 3 and 4: weekend, so chill!! Walk a little, get some wine and restorative sun on yer face....look for cars, long term rentals. Sort a rental car.

Day 5: Job interviews: prep, attendance, job offered 4.50 pm, accepted 4.50pm plus 1 nanosecond.....buy a bottle of sparkly...

Day 6: Get a hire car, start hammering the estate agents and realestate.com.au for a rental - you can do that from day 1, really...

Day 10: rest of family arrives........to be presented with new car - right now, day written off as they are all asleep......but wife's TFN applied for as she sleeps. Next stop Medicare, bank and tourist stuff.......I start work in 10 days.

That's just a potted history, you need to know a Justice of the Peace or have access to one to apply for various things/get documents and IDs validated (start at the local police station), travelled about 600kms around Adelaide getting to know the city, scouting areas, buying cars etc plus setting up a mailbox (easiest way if you know you are going to move about a little plus getting mail from the UK) via Auspost, you should set up your bank before you arrive, scout for jobs etc. Always worth asking people you meet about local jobs, depending on your trade or profession (I got a really valuable contact via a Dive shop...).

I stayed for first 2 days in a hotel in the city - much easier than farting about with hire cars, rental properties with serious jet lag.....taxi, hotel, chill.....plus all amenities within 10 minutes walk......

PS ditch any propensity for road rage you might have and treat the roads like the locals - it's Hoon Death Race 2000 out there......favourite weapons SS utes, white vans and 40 ton trucks.......drive to survive!!
Twins
Cool what do work as? and what car did you buy?

Glad it all worked out..
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Twinset

Twins
That really helps, it also gives me a bit of a boost that jobs still exist in Oz, heard a lot of doom and gloom and was starting to panic about giving up my job in the UK. I hope it all works out for you and the family.
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mika24me
When you arrive you will go through customs as normal and your visa will be stamped. It is all very easy.

With regards to a mobile phone, check out the current vodaphone PAYG deal which allows you to call from abroad for the same price as a local call. If the offer applies to calls from Australia one of their free sim cards in your current phone might be a good idea for calling friends and family when you first get there (although you will have to get one before you leave).
That puts my mind at rest, I was wondering if I would be greated by lots of forms and a customs person watching for dodgy body language, with my children in tow I always look stressed and panic'd so who knows what they would be thinking.
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the tips, I depend so heavily on my SatNav in the UK so think it will be a must in Oz.
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mika24me

I would definitely do this too. However, be aware that they are only not charging roaming for July and August (i.e. you will only get it for normal UK prices then). If you text INTERNATIONAL to 2345 I think it is then it's 5ppm to Oz from UK, possibly something similar for the other direction?!

Like the other guy said earlier too with the Optus one, when we were on holiday we literally walked into a shop picked up a PAYG sim for about $5 with $20 credit on and that was that. We used a cousins address to register it. I'd do both, after all the vodafone one is free.

Last edited by Tubbs2Oz; Jul 2nd 2009 at 9:20 pm.
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by patdbuck
Thanks for the tips, I depend so heavily on my SatNav in the UK so think it will be a must in Oz.
Which make have you got? I'm going to start looking at downloading Oz maps soon for our Garmin. Hopefully their routing advice will be better out there!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.