Builders

Old Jan 29th 2004, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Builders

Hi all.
We're contemplating moving to Oz but my husband is a bit worried. He's a builder (specializes in bricklaying) and is concerned about whether he would be able to make a living to support us and our two kids.

He is hard working and prepared to drive to get work - does anyone know what the job situation is like for builders in Oz ?
Old Jan 29th 2004, 7:17 pm
WBB

Default Re: Builders

Originally posted by ohippy
Hi all.
We're contemplating moving to Oz but my husband is a bit worried. He's a builder (specializes in bricklaying) and is concerned about whether he would be able to make a living to support us and our two kids.

He is hard working and prepared to drive to get work - does anyone know what the job situation is like for builders in Oz ?
i think they are in demand, judging by how long it takes to get one to do a job.

try a search of the archives.

Old Jan 29th 2004, 7:18 pm
Go Banana's !!

Hi all.

My cousins are both builders in Perth and they say that there is a shortage at the moment. They are never out of work although a few years ago there was a bit of a glut.

Good luck, obviously depends on where you decide to settle.

Warren
Perth 2004....

Old Jan 29th 2004, 7:43 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Hi all.

I've been trying to get a builder in the Lithgow area of NSW for a year. Tell him to get out here NOW - there's a contract waiting for him!!!
Old Jan 29th 2004, 7:48 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all.

In a New Life Down Under tv prog the builder had no problem getting a job but only as a layer. He said he was a site foreman in UK but OZ would not recognise his qualifications so he had to start again.
Old Jan 30th 2004, 12:08 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all.

There are pages of jobs for brickies in Qld all paying top rates at the moment. Rates vary according to location I'm up in the north end of the sunshine coast and average wages are $28-$35 per hour on wages [difficult to find work on wages] most sites want piece work subbies and pay up to a buck a brick [brickie provides his own sand and cement] You need a licence and they are not easy to get. I've been here for a couple of months and hopefully get mine at the end of this month. Tip don't come over in nov/dec as tafe the bsa and the det all close for xmas for ages and make getting your card a nightmare
Good luck being a brickie here is worse than being a bloody convict well paid but phewwwww it's damn hot work.
Old Jan 30th 2004, 12:13 am
ABCDiamond

Hi all.

From everything we see, builders are in demand.

It would be worth contacting a few of the large house builders, in the area of your choice, and ask what the job situation is like.