Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Build it Yourself

Build it Yourself

Old Oct 7th 2007, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

KerryRyan will become famous soon enoughKerryRyan will become famous soon enough
Default Build it Yourself

Just wondering have any of you build or in the process of building your own home in Oz. If you have please let me know how you went on as we are thinking about doing it.

Please send some picks if you have any

Many thanks
Old Oct 7th 2007, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

windog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Build it Yourself

Originally Posted by KerryRyan

Many thanks

Most people these days use a digger for the footings....digging out with a pick & shovel is hard work!

however...heres one

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=429618
Old Oct 7th 2007, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

KerryRyan will become famous soon enoughKerryRyan will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by windog
Most people these days use a digger for the footings....digging out with a pick & shovel is hard work!

however...heres one

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=429618
Hi there, we understand the building procedure as OH has done it times many as he is a professional builder with own company, its planning permission, time scales and regs we are interested in, just wondering how others got on doing the whole thing themselves, thanks for info
Old Oct 8th 2007, 12:09 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Just starting that process... First things first we need to apply as owner builders and get our thumbs up to go ahead and build. Seems pretty straigtforward really, we need insurance to cover anybody on site and at least can do some of the work ourselves ie the brick work, and all the internal fixtures. We have to get a certified spark and plumber.
Will keep all updated when we finally start building to let you know how its all going.
Jenny
Old Oct 8th 2007, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jensteve
Just starting that process... First things first we need to apply as owner builders and get our thumbs up to go ahead and build. Seems pretty straigtforward really, we need insurance to cover anybody on site and at least can do some of the work ourselves ie the brick work, and all the internal fixtures. We have to get a certified spark and plumber.
Will keep all updated when we finally start building to let you know how its all going.
Jenny
Jenny cheers for that, please PM me some pick when you get some so i can show my OH. I do hope everything goes well for you. Were abouts are you building and what price is the land at the mo there,

Thanks again

Kerry
Old Oct 8th 2007, 12:54 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Jenny cheers for that, please PM me some pick when you get some so i can show my OH. I do hope everything goes well for you. Were abouts are you building and what price is the land at the mo there,

Thanks again

Kerry
Have bought a block out in Chittering paid $239k for 5 acres, well got a deal, there's not much available out that way for under $270k now.
The house well I reckon we will buy from component homes, steel framed kit sort of thing, putting a brick veneer round the outside instead of the boards, house 5x2 2 story is costing 110k, add septics, electrics, plumbing, and site works and slab and I suppose we are close to 200k, the house suppliers can help build it with some contractors to put up to lock up stage for around 20k but until we actually start building I don't know if some bits will cost less or more. Have a good idea but who knows!
Should be living in a caravan again while its getting built though, but who cares as long as we end up with something to live in, I love the block all bush and tree's, just want to get going on it and start work on the place.
Jenny
Old Oct 8th 2007, 1:03 pm
"At Home"

ekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really nice

Just wondering have any of you build or in the process of building your own home in Oz. If you have please let me know how you went on as we are thinking about doing it.

Many thanks
If you check out your local council website planning department you will see the process, We will be using Gosford council for our DA http://www.gosford.nsw.gov.au/customer/development Whatever a planning officer tells you will come straight from the website, so get started by reading up on there rules. If you stick to the book you wo'nt go wrong. Each council has its own quirky changes. E.