Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Build vs Buy for housing in Aus : Lose money?

Build vs Buy for housing in Aus : Lose money?

Old Aug 24th 2005, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Build vs Buy for housing in Aus : Lose money?

One of the main benefits I can see to building your own is that you can (eventually) get a house exactly how you want it.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 8:20 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by marco121068
One of the main benefits I can see to building your own is that you can (eventually) get a house exactly how you want it.
Or you could just renovate an existing house to be exactly as you want it...
Old Aug 24th 2005, 9:53 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marco121068
Yea, I totally agree. It's something we've been considering ourselves. To be honest I never did the maths thinking it'd work out cheaper than buying an existing home - in fact I'd happily pay a bit more to have a layout that precisely fits our needs. The plot we're looking at is just under $200k and we've been quoted $150k for the build with all the trimmings. Assuming another $35k for 'extras', that's $385k, which is about $65k shy of what similar sized homes cost in the area.

Biggie's been building his own house - his input would be useful
Old Aug 24th 2005, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

AndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jim2004
yeah 'hidden costs' was something I was very dubious about, and prob a big factor why we've put on hold for now! ...
We have been told to allow $20000 for extras (floor coverings And blinds) on any NEW purchase.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 10:18 am
Legal immigrant

Lee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyD
We have been told to allow $20000 for extras (floor coverings And blinds) on any NEW purchase.
We are over here now in Brisbane on holiday and have been round loads of show homes, nearly all of the sales reps have told us to allow at least an extra $30000 on top of the house build price for all the items not included in the general specification. one house we looked at had over $120000 of extras added to it (it was nice though ) although it was still cheaper than the homes we were chauffeured around on Bribie Island (think the salesman thought it was my flash Merc' outside and kept asking how my game of golf was lol) didnt see us pull up in the little hire car.

Jon
Old Aug 24th 2005, 10:39 am
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough

Here is my experience, maybe it will help someone.

We bought a plot 18 months ago in Perth, cost $127,000

The house original cost was $100,000, a few extras inc air con, french doors to games room, french doors to front lounge (original plans were too openplan for us, we like to hide from the kids)

We excluded blinds and floorcoverings, also all wardrobe doors were excluded. (they were charging over $200 for a standard flush door)

We added loads of extra sockets, and TV points, for a cost of an extra $3500
We had a price increase of $8000 also.

So in total we are looking at a rough cost of $240,000
Landscaping (hows longs a piece of string) maybe $20,000
We are having a pool installed which will cost between $10-$15,000.

House will eventually cost us around $280,000 I reckon (with a pool dont forget)

Houses in our area are reaching $300,000 so we wont lose out, but we wont get rich quick either.

Overall an enjoyable experience, we funded the cost while living in the UK so it hasn't been a problem. (had a second mortgage on our property here)

I wont count my chickens though as its not finished yet, will keep you posted.
Old Aug 25th 2005, 7:50 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NIGENABBY
Hello

I don't know where you are planning to build, however something else to keep in mind (cost wise) is the stamp duty.

If you build using a house and land package you only pay stamp duty on the land. If you buy a built house you pay on the total.

Eg, $200K stamp duty $7,660 - land only
$500K stamp duty $25,660 - house and land

calculator site
http://www.sro.vic.gov.au/sro/sroweb...set=iso-8859-1

Also you will find many builders now offer 'all inclusive' prices for home, including all carpets, tiles, fixtures etc, rather than just a basic cost that can escalate out of control before you notice.
Nowhere near that here in Qld where spalen is - just bought a house, stamp duty $10k.

In my experience here in Brisbane, you cant build a house & do all the establishing for the same price that you can buy an established house. Even when people say its going to cost $X to do such & such, you can usually double what you expect it to cost. For example, Pompeywill is quoting $10-15K for a pool - we just got our put in & all up it has cost us close to $50K with fencing & landscaping & paving - admittedly a larger pool than most people would put in their backyards, but I find it hard to believe that someone could put an inground pool in with all the extras that go with it, landscaping, fencing etc for $10K (or even $15K) unless they were digging it themselves . Of course if it were an aboveground pool & they did the fencing etc themselves then $15K is a more realistic budget as frineds of ours just had an above ground one put in at the same time we did ours & thats about what they paid. Its the same with everything - you pay big time unless you do it all yourself, even something as simple as concrete garden edging is $20-$30/metre, concreting for a driveway is minimum of $45/sqm, small retaining wall, where's your chequebook? :scared:

Of course as others have said, you get to get the house that you want in the end, just remember that if you want even one wall moved 6 inches one way on a plan that will involve extra costs, builders charge you for just breathing the same air as you . If you choose to renovate you will also be at the mercy of builders (as we are), but at least the main structure of the building is there & can be lived in while things are being done up.

Lastly, remember that when you see a showhome & the builder says "ohh this house costs $150K" he means the basic house not the house you are seeing . As Lee family have said, its not unusual to add an extra $100-$150K for all the extras to make it the same quality. Every show home has an upmarket kitchen, better appliances, doors, doorknobs, paint finish, carpets, tiles, bathroom, lights etc than the "basic" model. If you seriously are happy with the basic version then thats fine, but dont forget that when you come to sell it (or when you talk about what its worth compared to an established house), your house will be worth a considerable amount less than the house down the road with the better quality fittings. Just make sure you compare apples with apples.
Old Aug 25th 2005, 7:57 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pompeywill
We bought a plot 18 months ago in Perth, cost $127,000
House will eventually cost us around $280,000 I reckon (with a pool dont forget)
Thats something else to consider I guess - how much the market (& therefore the block of land) will have gone up in that time. Bit hard to compare really in some ways, but Im betting that you cant still buy a block of land where you bought yours for $127K?
Old Aug 25th 2005, 8:34 am

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

Has anybody bought a decent size plot with a ramshackle old house on it, knocked that down then put a new house on it? Wondered how the costs of that compared as surely water, electric etc would already be connected to the site?
Old Aug 25th 2005, 3:11 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
Has anybody bought a decent size plot with a ramshackle old house on it, knocked that down then put a new house on it? Wondered how the costs of that compared as surely water, electric etc would already be connected to the site?
I was told that ppl do this a lot, especially when we was looking at older suburbs of the Gold Coast for example. People I spoke to inc an expat Chippy out there explained how the houses in Oz 'aint' built like over here. None of this 2 skin (double brick) walls to the exterior! ... oh no, 1 brick think walls! ...... just for show really! The interior is like this :

He said the houses are built to last 50 years, 25 even! I questioned this, but that was what he said! He said even houses in the UK was NEVER built to last so long, and for an example said that the tower blocks in the 70's were only built to last 25yrs!!

Anyway, all I'm saying is yeah, I think ppl WILL buy an old derilict house for the land, and build new! I think with a proprty in Oz, the money IS all in the land really. Ok, a lovely house WILL add ot the value obv, but you know what I mean! ..... *think*

and while I'm at it, here's a few more pics I took in Oz a few weeks ago of new builds (Upper Coomera - Gold Coast'ish) :

Advertised as a 900m block, but looks massive to me! .... maybe 900m IS massive!

Timber Frame :

Getting there!

and I spose had to throw a Beut in! ...

I wish! ... lol
Old Aug 25th 2005, 3:42 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

[

and I spose had to throw a Beut in! ...

I wish! ... lol[/QUOTE]

Not having a go or anything but am I the only one who thinks that completed house is horrible?!!
Old Aug 25th 2005, 3:55 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Of course your entitled to your opinion, but I stick to 'it's a beaut ...

Thing is too, in this area I'd go as far to say MOST houses are single storey, so the double storey houses stand out a bit! ...

Buty lots of individuality which was nice!

Horses for Courses tho!
Old Aug 25th 2005, 7:52 pm
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Thats something else to consider I guess - how much the market (& therefore the block of land) will have gone up in that time. Bit hard to compare really in some ways, but Im betting that you cant still buy a block of land where you bought yours for $127K?
True the land has crept up, you cant get a block our size for that money now. Thats why I like the idea of new builds, the longer they take the more they are worth (in theory) if you can sustain the cost.

Also the price I quoted on the pool was just a ballpark figure I picked up reading another thread on pools, so it could well be more expensive.
Old Aug 25th 2005, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by spalen
Just looking at buying a first house in Aus but have the option of building too.

In UK building your own was a sure fire way to increase the value of the house ,ie Resale Value was always greater than House Build + Land Costs.

Is the same true in Aus? I know its subject to all sorts of variables like the market fluctuation etc ,but does the same generalism hold true here? Or because self-building is so common is it less valued and they just net-out the same at the end.?

One reason I thought of that a built house would be worth more than a plot+self build is that you have to fund it for 6-8mths whilst its being built so there is the 'double' mortgage etc.

Also interested to hear any wisdom on corner-plots vs central plots. Corner plot in UK psyche is goodness because of space on one side, even if its a road, but where we are looking lots of corner plots seem to be available whilst the central ones have all but gone... ( I know I can ask the agent butI want some speaking without forked tongue).

We're not primarily looking to build to make money - this is our home after all and not looking at it opportunistically but on the other hand if there is neutral position at the end thats another consideration.
When were out in Aus in Sept, we asked around for corner plots for sale thinking the same as you that you get more usable space for your money as you do in the UK, then we noticed that there were a awful lot of corner plots for sale and that they were always the last to go on new developments, what we found out was that if you have a standard plot (i.e not corner) the house has to be set back a minimum amount (i think 6 mtrs) from the front of the land/road, what happens on the corner plots is that this rule applies on all sides on a road which means you lose a lot of land, as you have to set the house back 6 mtrs and the side fences back 6 mtrs to from the road.

Hope this helps
Old Aug 25th 2005, 9:35 pm
Rocket Scientist

Originally Posted by Nicstids
am I the only one who thinks that completed house is horrible?!!
Nope!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by pompeywill
True the land has crept up, you cant get a block our size for that money now. Thats why I like the idea of new builds, the longer they take the more they are worth (in theory) if you can sustain the cost.

Also the price I quoted on the pool was just a ballpark figure I picked up reading another thread on pools, so it could well be more expensive.
Yeah the land figure is what throws the value though, I guess in some respects if you compare what the land is worth now + the cost of the house you get a better idea of how much to compare to established houses as the land would be worth more now anyway, even if you had done absolutely nothing to it (does that make sense?).

And I hope you have deep pockets for that pool .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.